Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Am I interpreting the "first round combat rules" correctly? Do they mean that in the first round

(1) if the marker starts in favor of the attacker and the defender can't move the combat marker to 0 or in his favor, then the attacker suffers no losses; and

(2) if the marker starts at 0 or in favor of the defender and the attacker can't move the combat marker in his favor, then the defender suffers no losses?

In effect (1) the attacker can overwhelm the defender (and (2) the defender can repulse the attacker)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my interpretation of the rule, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation 2 you are likely to take back the move if playing a friendly game, because you should be able to determine that before making the move before the hidden information of what cards can be played in support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
kurt_purcell wrote:
Situation 2 you are likely to take back the move if playing a friendly game...

What's this "friendly game" you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
kurt_purcell wrote:
Situation 2 you are likely to take back the move if playing a friendly game...

What's this "friendly game" you speak of?
What you would consider a learning game maybe, or as friendly as you can be when playing a 3x space conquest game. Alternately you need less cutthroat gaming partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
(2) if the marker starts at 0 or in favor of the defender and the attacker can't move the combat marker in his favor, then the defender suffers no losses?

Beside a calculation error on the part of the attacker, how could that happen (leaving aside the attack of a neutral planet with a face-down alien marker)?

Isn't all information known before players start playing cards for matter (or alternate resource made a combat resource by a reserve card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it could be there to stop attackers seeing a fleet of ten ships, attacking it with one, and killing five of them through the combat losses resolution. The attacker always needs to send in enough strength to properly oppose a fleet before they can damage it.

This may be AFAoS / Mythotopia influencing me, but we played it that combat is declared, and the first round includes the first move in by the attacker, so it's always the attacker who needs to flip the combat track. Looking at the rules again I'm not sure if that's right though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
Beside a calculation error on the part of the attacker, how could that happen (leaving aside the attack of a neutral planet with a face-down alien marker)?

Isn't all information known before players start playing cards for matter (or alternate resource made a combat resource by a reserve card)?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain R
France
flag msg tools
I don't want to open a new topic so I seize this one to ask a related question : can you sacrifice one unit to attack a planet protected by 4+ units ? By doing that, you lose your ship, but the defender would loose 2+ units (half rounded down). This may be a tatical move to prepare another attack the next turn... Is it a valid move ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
karamo wrote:
I don't want to open a new topic so I seize this one to ask a related question : can you sacrifice one unit to attack a planet protected by 4+ units ? By doing that, you lose your ship, but the defender would loose 2+ units (half rounded down). This may be a tatical move to prepare another attack the next turn... Is it a valid move ?

as far as i know, this is a regulary tactical move. I see no restriction why you have to have more fleets as your opponent to attack him. That´s a reason i like in the game. "All out war" can be really expensive. So it´s also a good way to place a system in the way to your neighbours with one fleet on it, to make an attack with a lot of fleets more difficult for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's part of what the first round combat rules are designed to stop. Unless the one ship can bring enough other strength to flip the initiative track, the defender isn't liable for losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain R
France
flag msg tools
Ubik Lives wrote:
I think that's part of what the first round combat rules are designed to stop. Unless the one ship can bring enough other strength to flip the initiative track, the defender isn't liable for losses.

My understanding is that the attacker *may* retreat, but is not obliged to retreat. In my "sacrifice" move, the attacker would decide not to retreat, to cause damages to the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cameron
Australia
Maylands
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 18 there is this rule

"FIRST ROUND OF COMBAT SPECIAL RULES – At the start of the combat if the player who is required to move the marker on the Combat Track is unable to move it to a winning position then they automatically lose and suffer losses as described below. The other player will not suffer any losses. Thus, the Game marker must cross the boundary between the two parts of the Combat Track to lead to a situation where both sides will be liable for casualties."

If the attacker can't flip the initiative track against the four enemy ships (by paying matter, using special cards or the like), then the four ships won't take losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain R
France
flag msg tools
Well pointed! Missed this one...
This means also that if you attack with huge superiority, and the defender player is unable to move back the marker enough, you may win without having any loss ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo de Urmeneta
Spain
La Floresta-Sant Cugat del Vallés
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karamo wrote:
Well pointed! Missed this one...
This means also that if you attack with huge superiority, and the defender player is unable to move back the marker enough, you may win without having any loss ?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.