Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a game that meets these criteria. Nevermind why.

Criteria--The primary play material should consist of:

-- Some number of either player or shared/neutral pieces in 3 (exactly) varieties (can be distinguished by color or size/shape, but only along 1 dimensions and only occurring in 3 unique types), preferably in relatively large amounts (say up to 12 in each piece type)

-- Some additional player or shared/neutral resource pieces in 1 variety that exist in large quantity (say up to 50... a "counter" resource)

-- Some type of large marker / indicator pawn(s) in the order of about 2-3 (undistinguished) quantity

-- The remainder of the game would be the boards / cards / tiles / whatever necessary for play but NO or FEW significant additional player / resource tokens.

For example:

Carolus Magnus has towers in 3 unique colors, plus a large pawn piece. However, it doesn't have a single other color of the large-quantity "counter" resource, instead having a bunch of 5 different colors

Wind River has a large-quantity neutral resource (2 of them, actually, though) in the form of buffalos. It also has a fairly moderate number of player pieces that are all the same (although there are 4 instead of 3 colors). However, it has no large pawns / indicators.

Terra Nova has a large-quantity "resource" (the barricades), plus self-similar player pieces in moderate quantities (though there are 4 rather than 3 colors), but it has no large pawn / indicator.

Space Walk has 3 unique types of pieces, but they are also distinguished by player color and not just the 3 sizes. It does, however, also have the additional "counter" resource in the form of the player chips. No big pawn / indicator, though.

Any ideas that meet ALL the criteria? GG reward for a good game that meets the requirements! I might even ship you a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ideal recommendation would have the primary play pieces (in the 3--exactly--varieties) be shared rather than player-specific.

Bonus points for connection- / route-building and for games playable by kids, as well as for games that I do not currently own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not entirely clear what you mean, but perhaps Terraforming Mars fits the bill?

It has 3 primary resource counters that differ by size and color. Each player also has 1 large set of unique player tokens.

There is also a large first player marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jade Knight wrote:
It's not entirely clear what you mean, but perhaps Terraforming Mars fits the bill?

It has 3 primary resource counters that differ by size and color. Each player also has 1 large set of unique player tokens.

This sounds like too much piece variability.

There are only 3 total unique types of player/neutral pieces available in my scenario (call them piece type A, B, and C, with only one dimension distinguishing them--in practice, this could be size or shape or color, but not any more than 1 feature), plus 1 additional resource counter (call it X) that is distinguished from A/B/C, but has only 1 "instance" itself.

Then, plus the large pawns, of which there are only 1 type. Call those Q.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's terribly specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why it's a stupid recommendation.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have, or will have, some bits in these particular configurations that I'd like to repurpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I am looking for a game that meets these criteria. Nevermind why.

Criteria--The primary play material should consist of:

-- Some number of either player or shared/neutral pieces in 3 (exactly) varieties (can be distinguished by color or size/shape, but only along 1 dimensions and only occurring in 3 unique types), preferably in relatively large amounts (say up to 12 in each piece type)

-- Some additional player or shared/neutral resource pieces in 1 variety that exist in large quantity (say up to 50... a "counter" resource)

-- Some type of large marker / indicator pawn(s) in the order of about 2-3 (undistinguished) quantity

-- The remainder of the game would be the boards / cards / tiles / whatever necessary for play but NO or FEW significant additional player / resource tokens.

For example:

Carolus Magnus has towers in 3 unique colors, plus a large pawn piece. However, it doesn't have a single other color of the large-quantity "counter" resource, instead having a bunch of 5 different colors

Wind River has a large-quantity neutral resource (2 of them, actually, though) in the form of buffalos. It also has a fairly moderate number of player pieces that are all the same (although there are 4 instead of 3 colors). However, it has no large pawns / indicators.

Terra Nova has a large-quantity "resource" (the barricades), plus self-similar player pieces in moderate quantities (though there are 4 rather than 3 colors), but it has no large pawn / indicator.

Space Walk has 3 unique types of pieces, but they are also distinguished by player color and not just the 3 sizes. It does, however, also have the additional "counter" resource in the form of the player chips. No big pawn / indicator, though.

Any ideas that meet ALL the criteria? GG reward for a good game that meets the requirements! I might even ship you a game!

The King Is Dead
might come close, depending on what you need these for:

Exactly 3 varieties of shared pieces, distinguished only by colors.
18 of each color. Cubes, all the same size.

Black follower cubes - but these are probably not as many as you want (9).
Alternatively you could use the 32 action cards, just ignoring the color and action? You could add the 8 region cards, to get up to 40, just treat "card" as a counter and ignore everything else about it.

4 (undistinguished) crown tokens.

All that's left is the board, draw-bag, and 24 control tokens (8 in each of the 3 colors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about König von Siam... not a perfect fit but comes close

3 colors of components: red, blue and yellow cubes (18) and influence markers (8)

A small number of British flags and Maharajah tiles (4 each), shared among players

No large marker/indicator

A board, 8 region tiles, 4 sets of 9 cards

Not sure it's quite a good enough fit, but that's the best I got

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth is pretty close.

Cubes in 4 colors.
(3 shown here)

Large pawns (3 per player)

Bunches of small pawns (although these are distinguished by player color).

Pawns shown here:

If you want something really specific, you can just buy bits independent of games. There was a vendor at Essen last year that sold every game bit you can imagine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, King of Siam / King is Dead is pretty dang close. Definitely along the right lines, but I don't think it's going to work out exactly how I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, maybe Takenoko!

Yellow, green and pink bamboo - 24 to 30 of each

Large markers: Panda and gardener

20 shared irrigation channels

Large hex tiles, tiny hex tiles, cards, up to 8 "placed action" chips (not technically required, just a convenience), one d6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Catan versions have each player start with 3 objects (roads,houses, and settlements in original), then there's a large pawn for the robber. Some versions I think also have some money or gold in large quantities which everyone can acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
Most Catan versions have each player start with 3 objects (roads,houses, and settlements in original)

Yes, but those are also color-coded by player.

I'm looking for something where there are literally only 3 kinds of bits (blue houses, blue cities, blue roads--for example--but no other colors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
starspangledgirl wrote:
Most Catan versions have each player start with 3 objects (roads,houses, and settlements in original)

Yes, but those are also color-coded by player.

I'm looking for something where there are literally only 3 kinds of bits (blue houses, blue cities, blue roads--for example--but no other colors).

Couldn't you just repaint them? If they are the same shape, then a quick paint job would fix the color difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could, but the bits have certain characteristics that painting or otherwise marking would obliterate.

I really do, silly as it sounds, want to stick to the exact parameters described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative idea, have you checked on Meeple Source (https://www.meeplesource.com/) or Ad Magic Print & Play store (https://www.printplaygames.com/prototypes)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not interested in just any old arbitrary DIY project where I select the bits to match a given game.

Specifically interested in reverse-engineering a game to fit some specific bits (that coincidentally do happen to come from MeepleSource).

I really am interested in exactly and only the ludicrously stupid recommendation criteria I laid out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been too long since I played it, but I think that
The End of the Triumvirate may be a good fit. Each of the players has many tokens of their own particular colour, and then there are tons and tons of brown cubes. see: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/563992/end-triumvirate

depends on whether those added bits are more than 'FEW'.

There is also one large player marker per character.

At least I only remember one .... that needs checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, that's a pretty good one, Laura. Thanks for the idea.

That one would be super-hilarious with the bits I intend to use, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do it, I want to see the pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found another link, which made me remember more things.

I remembered correctly, there is one large player token per character. The cylinders are govenors. The little blue cubes are to track your progress on the various tracks -- i.e. there is no reason why you couldn't use whatever markers you are going to use for the governors to do the tracking as well. I'd check this in the EoT forum, instead of trusting to my rusty old memory, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.