Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By my reading of the rules, tanks do NOT get the +2 to their firepower for melee, as this only applies when attacking 'adjacent' hexes. Is this correct and intended?

For example, the melee FP of a St. Chamond is 7 rather than 7+2=9.

What have I misunderstood here, please?

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
By my reading of the rules, tanks do NOT get the +2 to their firepower for melee, as this only applies when attacking 'adjacent' hexes. Is this correct and intended?

For example, the melee FP of a St. Chamond is 7 rather than 7+2=9.

What have I misunderstood here, please?

Chick

Visually I would think the soldiers would be "inside" shortest range of the tank, like right up against the body or closer?

Just a guess/thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the justification of the lower number, Kevin, just checking to make sure it is intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chick, Hi Kevin

yes it is intended.
when they would reach a trench tanks were tasked to follow it along and "clean it up". The soldiers manning the mounted MGs were trained for this, this is why they have this +2 bonus for firing at adjacent hexes.

There were 3 main threats for tanks of that time: artillery (direct or indirect), bogging down, and "melee" attack by determined and properly armed troops (mainly grenades or firing through the hatches).
This is why tanks don't get the +2 in Melee.

Tanks had dedicated infantry accompanying them on the battlefield to prepare terrain (taking into account in the rules: no need of Immobilization test if friendly troops are present in bog down hexes) or to "protect" them in close combat. But reading all battle reports show that concerning the latter it didn't work at all because of lack of communication between the two and also too much difference in moving pace (a tank could easily advance in clear terrain facing small arms armed troops but infantry could not; infantry could easily advance in chaotic terrain -which provides cover- facing small arms armed troops but tanks could not because of bog risk).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice lesson. Thanks, Pascal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.