pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOILERS!!! Please don't read if you haven't finished case 1.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

This was my first ever case and I thought it was pretty good, the world building, the details, but some things did not make much sense to me.

1. How do I know beforehand how many locations I'm supposed to visit? Holmes visited 4, but I visited...14, simply because I wanted to be sure about some things. I had thought that 10 would be a fair number, but no. On top of that it's pretty addictive trying to figure out how those little pieces come together. Is it even possible to beat Holmes?

2. How do we know the Russian did not do it together with R.? Yes, he was at the opera, but he theoretically could have left quickly after the beginning and I figured it takes about an hour to get to the crime scene from there. I also thought that his cane had a hidden blade which was used to slash the briefcase, lol. He also supposedly is a great shot.

3. What's up with the people who were sick? I thought they were together the night before and it was meant to be some kind of a clue. Especially with the elixir, the maker of which cannot be found on the map for some reason. Is this for a future case?

4. The cathedral with square domes. I went online and googled it and surprisingly got it wrong. So googling is not allowed in this game, correct? I should have gone to the library and wasted another move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Murtaugh
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1. For me, it is never really about beating Holmes. I just enjoy trying to close all the loose ends and be able to answer most if not all of the questions.

That being said, we came pretty close to beating Holmes on the second case. We then decided to go back and answer some of the "secondary" questions as it just so happened that we traveled down the correct solution path almost right away.

2. I believe that the suitcase was scratched by falling on the cobblestones or being dragged on the cobblestones (I do not remember where we learned that), but honestly, I never considered the possibility... not sure way.

3. ??? Got me, and piqued my interest...

4. No googling is allowed when we play. Notre Dame is pretty distinctive and when I think of cathedrals that is generally where my mind goes first, especially if there is a hint of "France" involved. With respect to going to the library, I would not think it would help, but there is only one way to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emspace
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Theoretically, yes, it’s possible to beat Holmes. Is it likely? You’d have to make some leaps at the start, land on the right theory, and visit the minimum of leads to confirm, then make a stab at solving without all the details to confirm every part of your theory. I’d say the odds of that are excruciatingly slim.

One of my groups does try to beat Holmes by avoiding going down rabbit holes when we suspect a side plot. But this isn’t always easy to know until after a lead confirms it’s not relevant, and then you’ve wasted a visit already. Plus, going down the rabbit holes helps recover points lost through too many visits by answering bonus questions correctly.

With my other group, we just like the mystery part and trying to solve it, so we’re not concerned about the score (although I keep track anyway).

For our first game, because we didn’t know what to expect, we simply played it out as though we were really trying to solve the case and be thorough about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also decided to just enjoy this 'world' without trying to outdo Holmes... Still, they could have updated the scoring system to include the side quests

The briefcase gash solution was both cool and a bit disappointing. They should have included a picture of the briefcase! It could have been so much easier to guess.

Does anyone know the answer to my question about the Russian guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astonishingly, we managed to beat Holmes on this case by 5 points! Of course, that led to disappointment in all the cases we've tackled since.

pansonic wrote:
Does anyone know the answer to my question about the Russian guy?

I never really thought that the Russian had much of a motive. He may have been conspiring but it was the other guy who had most to lose.

For us the case really fell into place when we realised that the note (signed A.M.) in the briefcase was a copy (hence the handwriting matched the other documents found) of the note delivered to Lord what's-his-name when the victim visited the factory earlier that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pansonic
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I never really thought that the Russian had much of a motive. He may have been conspiring but it was the other guy who had most to lose.

For us the case really fell into place when we realised that the note (signed A.M.) in the briefcase was a copy (hence the handwriting matched the other documents found) of the note delivered to Lord what's-his-name when the victim visited the factory earlier that day.

Ok, if you consider motives, I guess you are right. Thanks. I thought it would be an interesting twist, like we were looking for one murderer when in fact there were two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, beating Holmes is very difficult and you don't get to explore all of the environments in the game. After Case 4, we've decided to count our steps in two phases:

First Count - When we are pretty sure of the solution, we will state our preliminary decision and draw a line in the sand.

Second Count - If we want to continue exploring, we can to fill in some of the minor details or we feel Holmes would have skipped that stop, but we are curious as to what info was there. If we discover something that changes our initial decision and we 'change' our solution, the First Count is invalidated and the Second Count is used.

Our goal is to come close to Holmes. We view success as solving the Case and how close we come to Holmes. If the standard score for Holmes is 100, then 80+ would be a great score. Played Cases 1-6 of the original box so far and our scores have ranged from 40 - 110 (110 being Case #1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.