Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Played this game (a gift from my wife) for the first time last night. I played WtP ages ago, but not enough to remember much.

The main thing that kept us diving headfirst into the rulebook was Fortified Ports. It was very difficult to remember what they allowed/prevented. So when I got home after the game I did a careful parsing of the rules to help myself get a handle on them. Here is what I came up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

(Edited to include contributions from other posters)

1. A Fortified Port with a British PC marker on it is basically back to being a plain-old port.

2. The only way to put a British PC marker on a Fortified Port is by land. Can't do it with a landing party.

3. An ACTUAL Fortified Port (no British PC marker) does exactly two things: (1) Prevents British Royal Navy Support (+1 DRM in battles) and (2) Prevents British Retreats by sea.

4. As long as the fortified port is not blockaded by the French and there is no American PC or CU present the British player can bring reinforcements into a fortified fort space.

Can someone tell me if I've missed something or stated any of that incorrectly?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Stephen,

Looks like you about covered it. Only other thing I can think of is it is also a wintering quarters for attrition purposes, like the square spaces.

Also, looking at it again, I believe as long as the fortified port is not blockaded by the French and there is no American PC or CU present the British player can bring reinforcements into a fortified fort space. The landing party is a special action associated with a campaign card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
I believe as long as the fortified port is not blockaded by the French and there is no American PC or CU present the British player can bring reinforcements into a fortified fort space. The landing party is a special action associated with a campaign card.

Good catch. I will edit the OP again.

Sheesh. Fortified Ports are annoying, counterintuitive little f*****s, aren't they? Ah well, at least the rest of the game seems fairly straightforward.

I'm just now starting to delve into the FOR THE PEOPLE rulebook. Should I be expecting a lot more of these knotty little rules? 😆
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Fort Port info is on a player-made Player Aid sheet. Check BGG files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
kinga1965 wrote:
I believe as long as the fortified port is not blockaded by the French and there is no American PC or CU present the British player can bring reinforcements into a fortified fort space. The landing party is a special action associated with a campaign card.

Good catch. I will edit the OP again.

Sheesh. Fortified Ports are annoying, counterintuitive little f*****s, aren't they? Ah well, at least the rest of the game seems fairly straightforward.

I'm just now starting to delve into the FOR THE PEOPLE rulebook. Should I be expecting a lot more of these knotty little rules? 😆

Stephen,

Yes, For the People is a couple of steps up in complexity and rules. Don't be discouraged though, FtP is an amazing game! It is very much one of my favorites in the genre of CDG's. Mark Herman is very good at answering questions about his designs and there a lot of player aids and others willing to help in the FtP forum.

The only drawback to FtP is the time it takes to play the full campaign game (around 6 hours for average players like myself). Even though the various scenarios are shorter, I prefer playing the campaign game as for me it is the most rewarding experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.