Kent McClard

California
msg tools
mb
Trying to learn to play Perdition's Mouth, and I have found some information that I can't seem to figure out... so I am hoping someone can shed some light on these issues...

First....

The FAQ on Perdition's Mouth web site (https://perditionsmouth.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2017...) indicates the following set up for the treasure cards:

Setup: Treasure Cards for each campaign

AR - AR treasure cards: T1, T3 - T8, T10-T13, T15, T18, T28, T36, T57

W - 5 random from AR + Witch Grotto treasure cards: T9, T17, T29, T33

H - 5 random from AR + Hideout treasure cards: T14, T19, T30, T31, T32, T34 T37

However, if you follow this guide... there are several treasure cards that don't seem to have any in game use.

Wyrmandalus Shard (T25, T26, T27)

Golden Statue of Macchis (T49)

Icon of St. Ben (T38) {this is a special item that appears via errata for the W1 mission)

Scroll of Doom (T22)

Lorica Squamata (T20)

Ring of Regeneration (T16)

Warp Stone (T24)

Scepter of Power (T21)

Shadow Cloak of Geraka (T23)

Are these cards not supposed to be in play, or is the FAQ incorrect, or is there some alternative method for these items coming into play such as with the Amulet of The True God (T2)

Second...

In a campaign game does Simma’s special ability mean that once the Amulet of The True God comes into play that it stays in play for all following scenarios in that campaign, or does Simma have to recheck at the start of each scenario.

Answer found: Simma has to recheck before each mission. Answered in errata.

Third...

I can't seem to square the rules about LOS being able to cross 1 corner of a blocked square to the example shown under Examples on their web site (https://perditionsmouth.com/examples/)

The example says that instance 3, 4, and 5 all do not have line of sight. But in each of these cases LOS only crosses 1 corner of a blocked square.

On page 22 of the rule book it states "Two corners of blocked LoS squares will block LoS. You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS, such as the corner of a wall, or the corner of a square containing an enemy. LoS cannot cross two corners of blocked squares, even if the two corners are not near each other."

The text and instances 3, 4, and 5 seem to contradict each other.

I am not sure if the rule book is in error, the example is in error, or I am simply misunderstanding something.

Any help on these 3 issues would be great...

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Check out the post below this one (Sorting Gamer's Bundle Cards and Hideout Questions). I had a similar time sorting out the treasure cards. The only thing missing from that post is that T1 and T2 treasures should be switched (check FAQ and Errata download at https://perditionsmouth.com/faq/).

As far as I know anyway! Just learning myself. Good luck, the game looks awesome. Rule book has gotten a lot easier to digest after wrapping my head around the main mechanics explained early in the book.

Download the latest rule book too, apparently some things were changed on pages 26 to 28.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent McClard

California
msg tools
mb
Well, I figured out that the Icon of St. Ben (T38) card is a special card that gets placed through a scenario errata.

{Scenario W1 (Witches Grotto expansion)
The Set Up should list: Aisha waits at J2.
Give her the Icon of St. Ben, T38 when she is rescued}

Also, I answered the question about Simma’s special ability with regards to the Amulet of The True God.

{Simma must check before each scenario to see if he can use it.}

However, I still have no answer for the other items or for the LOS questions....

I am still hoping someone can answer these questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Quote:
The text and instances 3, 4, and 5 seem to contradict each other.

The text seems pretty clear in it's self, what instances are you referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would also be highly relevant to mention which version of rulebook are you using. We always recommend using the latest (which you can download from our website or BGG free of charge, naturally)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent McClard

California
msg tools
mb
Okay, I think I have figured out the LoS question.

The problem, I think, is that the language from all of the rule books are very vague when it comes to "You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS". This quote appears in 1.6.12v2 version of the rule book.

If I say my house is on the corner of the block then that means it is inside the block but in the corner.

I was interpreting "You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS" to mean that LoS could be drawn through the corner (as in through my house).

But now I think what you are really talking about is the very border or tip of the corner only (my house would not be included - but only the outer edge of the sidewalk that boarders the block).

I think you need an example or a clarification about what a "corner of a square" actually means.

Here is the image from the examples on the Peridition's Mouth web site (https://perditionsmouth.com/examples/)

On its face "You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS" is perfectly valid for examples 3, 4 and 5. Both of these examples can be interpreted as going "through one corner of a square that blocks LoS."

These examples do not work if "You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS" means only the very outer edge or border of a corner and not "through one corner."

I suggest you rewrite the sentence "You may draw line of sight through one corner of a square that blocks LoS" to "LoS may touch the outer corner edge of a square that block LoS," or something like that.

Anyway, you need more precise language or another example that illustrates what "through one corner of a square" actually means.

Perhaps, this post will help anyone that is confused by this language. I went to great detail here just to try to help anyone else in the future.

Thanks to anyone that responded to this thread about LoS.

The first question I had about inventory remains.

The FAQ, Errata, and Rules Clarifications dated 2017-01-25 does not account for the following cards:

Wyrmandalus Shard (T25, T26, T27)

Golden Statue of Macchis (T49)

Scroll of Doom (T22)

Lorica Squamata (T20)

Ring of Regeneration (T16)

Warp Stone (T24)

Scepter of Power (T21)

Shadow Cloak of Geraka (T23)

The FAQ, Errata, and Rules Clarifications dated 2017-01-25 should probably be updated to include these 10 cards.

Ben Tuner brought this issue up in March of 2017 and it was never resolved for him and the error is still active (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745497/starting-treasure-d...)

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.