17 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stevens

Missouri
msg tools
I'm interested in MD, but the secondary market is teetering around $200.00 for it.

Is it worth it at this price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really like Zombicide Black Plague, then you would probably enjoy Massive D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just the base game, then no, I would wait for it to be released by CMON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find it for pre-order on some of the online retailers for around $110, so for $200 I would wait a few weeks, myself. The game is quite fun (in spite of what some would have you believe) but I wouldn't pay an extra $90 or so to have it sooner than retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
What this guy said. If I could part with my copy for $200 without having to deal with ebay and packing it and shipping it, i would in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonic Bunny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope, with the caveat that the weight of mini's is worth it alone if you play other games where heroes and mini's matter (especially heroes for black plague). It's gorgeous, but it will eventually get down around 69.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Withers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The components are really awesome, but I wouldn't pay $200 for just the retail game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I kinda like it, but it's not worth the £125 I spent kickstarting it. Selling off a bunch of extra junk so I can get some money back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolvercote wrote:
If you really like Zombicide Black Plague, then you would probably enjoy Massive D.

I really like Zombicide Plague Plague but I have my reservations with MD. Same so-so design, but half the charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FearGunner wrote:
I'm interested in MD, but the secondary market is teetering around $200.00 for it.

Is it worth it at this price?

If you are referring to the base game, absolutely not. If you are talking about a full lightbringer pledge with all the trimmings, maybe. I think the market will be flooded soon, and the price should drop some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The more I play to more I regret backing this.
So no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stevens

Missouri
msg tools
Thanks for the input everyone.

It really does seem like the price is inflated for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
The more I play to more I regret backing this.
So no.

Oh no! That's sad to read. I really liked the direction of your deck or d10 attack variant mod. Hopefully some set of tweaks will catch your eye and keep your interest alive.

I think at its core, Massive a Darkness has a lot to offer and delivers on promises made by many competing products. Yes, MD has design warts, but it is much more easily fixed than most games. Whether that is through minor numberical tweaks (loot and transmute), some printable player class aides that lower "overhead", or much more inventive design deep dives (such as your attack variant), I am excited to see where the game goes from here to season 2 and beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hail!
badge
Hail!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those looking to maximize profit on the resale market, and if you can afford to wait a bit, I would suggest waiting until the details of season 2 are released in the next KS campaign.

I went all-in on Rum and Bones S1, it wasn't a great game and the secondary market was slow, but then S2 was announced and it fixed many of the shortcomings of S1. I ended up selling my entire S1 collection for $750 on eBay, more than doubling my initial investment. I predict the same pattern for Massive Darkness. It's too big of a title for CMON to give up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumpae wrote:
You can find it for pre-order on some of the online retailers for around $110, so for $200 I would wait a few weeks, myself. The game is quite fun (in spite of what some would have you believe) but I wouldn't pay an extra $90 or so to have it sooner than retail.

Pretty sure he is talking about the Lightbringer pledge for $200 since that's the only thing available right now (unless people are breaking up their KS pledges and just selling off the core game?). If so, then there is no way you are going to find all the content you get in the Lightbringer pledge for $110.

The core game alone is going for $102 for the pre-order. Then there is the Sorcerers vs Lord Tusk and Noble Warriors vs Cockatrix expansions it comes with, each of which are going for $20 right now as the cheapest. You also get the lava and crystal campaign which is another $20 (but comes with extra base tiles). The Troglodytes Enemy box is another $24 add-on included in the Lightbringer pledge. The chest and pillars are the final item that should be available at retail, and that will probably go for $10 and are included in a pledge.

So, total if you wanted to buy everything at retail you are looking to spend $196 before taxes based on current pre-order prices. Keep in mind this doesn't include the dice bag, 3 KSE heroes, or 21 KSE roaming monsters. It also doesn't include the 24 extra minions and bosses from the core game. Buying off eBay right now for $200 for a Lightbringer pledge is going to be much cheaper than buying retail with 20% off. Of course if you don't want everything, or you are willing to wait for a decent 40-50% off sale it would probably be better to wait. The prices on eBay might also drop some, but I don't see them dropping by much more. Most of the world has the game now so all the scalpers are flooding the market and it's just going to start drying up in the next several months which will make prices climb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

Getting the core+Trogs+ a classpack will keep you entertained for a long time, unless you plan to play this every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.