Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played for the first time last night with a group of 8. Think nearly all of us enjoyed, but we had one situation come up that caused a small dispute. The keyword was 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' and the other team's clue-giver gave the hidden clue 'garland'. Names (such as Judy Garland)are not allowed, per the rule that clues cannot be something that is always capitalized can't be used, but garland is also a standard noun, as in garland of flowers. We generally concluded that it was a clever bit of wordplay on his part, but also seemed to be a bit against the spirit of the rules.

It wasn't used, but we had a similar discussion come up on keyword 'John Hancock'. Declaration of Independence is usually capitalized, but could someone give the clue 'declaration'?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aganerral wrote:
Played for the first time last night with a group of 8. Think nearly all of us enjoyed, but we had one situation come up that caused a small dispute. The keyword was 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' and the other team's clue-giver gave the hidden clue 'garland'. Names (such as Judy Garland)are not allowed, per the rule that clues cannot be something that is always capitalized can't be used, but garland is also a standard noun, as in garland of flowers. We generally concluded that it was a clever bit of wordplay on his part, but also seemed to be a bit against the spirit of the rules.

It wasn't used, but we had a similar discussion come up on keyword 'John Hancock'. Declaration of Independence is usually capitalized, but could someone give the clue 'declaration'?

Thanks!

Good Question!

Both are technically allowed, but I'd say your first example was more against the spirit of the rules and your second example not so much. The difference being the first was the name of a specific person or place which is the spirit of the rule, where as in the second example was a normal word that was part of a relevant title. If you start out lawing all words in titles then you might not have any word left for clues.

As far as personal preference, I'm usually more lenient with others than with myself. For example I probably would have been fine with both clues in a friendly game, but I would have tried not to use clues like that first one myself.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm glad you enjoyed CrossTalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aganerral wrote:

Thanks!

I think I am going to use the garland clue as an example in my future rules explanations. Feel out the group and see how strict they want to be with the clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.