Subject: Deck building and dice rolling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about which games to add to my Christmas list.

The adv. search feature wasn't too much help because deck and pool building are combined. While I do enjoy pool building in general, I am specifically looking for a game with deck building and dice rolling.

One game I have that does this is Star Trek: Frontiers. It's not exactly a dice chucker, but I like how the dice can be used to power your adv. abilities on the cards.

I'd love for the game to involve custom dice, rather than generic.

Something that lasts an hour or less is ideal.

Does this exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Dice City what you're after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - I see you're after custom dice - how about Roll For The Galaxy? You have to gain more planets in your tableau allowing harnessing of more resources and workers...plus the dice are customised depending upon what your planets produce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
Sorry - I see you're after custom dice - how about Roll For The Galaxy? You have to gain more planets in your tableau allowing harnessing of more resources and workers...plus the dice are customised depending upon what your planets produce

Roll for the Galaxy is one of my favorite games, it's an excellent tableau builder and dice pool builder, but doesn't have cards. I'm looking for that deck building aspect as well as dice rolling.

Custom dice are not an absolute must, just preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc R
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you want to check out Colony, as well as the newly released Sentient. However, the latter probably has less of what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Alexidor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk Rally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider looking into Quarriors!, The Lord of the Rings Dice Building Game, or (my preference) anything in the Dice Masters family.

Quarriors is good for multiple players, although the system can use some work.

LOTR is (in my experience) often able to be found on clearance, and it takes the dice-building mechanics and makes it into a cooperative story game. You will 100% need to download and print/use the second edition of the Rulebook though.

Dice Masters is one of my favorite games and looks to hit your criteria. It is essentially deck-building (everyone starts with the same resources, and then "purchases" additional resources that they will draw on a later turn) and obviously has dice-rolling with custom dice. Games last roughly 30 minutes.

It is a 1v1 game, or 2v2 if you use the "Dice Masters Doubles" rules. If you don't like the "collectible" aspect of it, you can go one of two routes. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dice Masters box set (or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dice Masters: Heroes in a Half Shell) are all-in-one box sets with everything you need for 2 or 4 players. If you don't like TMNT, you can go with one of the other IPs (Marvel, DC, D&D, Yu-Gi-Oh) and purchase a Starter Set (good for two players) and go on eBay for a Common/Uncommon set of cards/dice which should cost <$20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars features deck building and rolling custom dice, but it might run a bit long for your taste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Baxter
United States
Bourbon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valeria: Card Kingdoms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Quarriors! and Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men, I prefer Dice Masters for the superhero theme and the better combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a long game, and the deck building is a slow burn, and the dice rolling isn't as integral as you may want, but Mage Knight Board Game does what you're looking for. It's one of my all time favorites, because it's so epic and immersive.

EDIT: Haha! I only just realized you cited Star Trek above. It's a reimplementation of MK. But you probably already know that. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sinnylong wrote:
It's a long game, and the deck building is a slow burn, and the dice rolling isn't as integral as you may want, but Mage Knight Board Game does what you're looking for. It's one of my all time favorites, because it's so epic and immersive.

EDIT: Haha! I only just realized you cited Star Trek above. It's a reimplementation of MK. But you probably already know that. Sorry!

Haha, yes, I do realize that! It's a fantastic game and that's the problem- I want to play it constantly but can't, so I'm looking for a "mini" version of it, if you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
sinnylong wrote:

Haha, yes, I do realize that! It's a fantastic game and that's the problem- I want to play it constantly but can't, so I'm looking for a "mini" version of it, if you will.

You and me both! I've been looking for mini Mage Knight for years. I had high hopes that Tiny Epic Quest would do the trick... Alas, while fun in its own way, Mage Knight Lite it ain't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sinnylong wrote:
Soleia wrote:
sinnylong wrote:

You and me both! I've been looking for mini Mage Knight for years. I had high hopes that Tiny Epic Quest would do the trick... Alas, while fun in its own way, Mage Knight Lite it ain't.

We'll have to keep each other informed then. Maybe somebody will make it. And if not... then I guess it's up to us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.