Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: advice needed on printing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alan hill
msg tools
I have a question I would like answered. I'm making my own tcg and when I print the cards I mess up. i have an inkjet printer and I used photo paper, however the ink doesn't set into the paper. i let it sit to dry fo about 30 hours. any suggestions to help me out? should I use glossy card stock? I want them to look nice but I don't want to spend to much on this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: advice needed
AlanTheBreadMan wrote:
I have a question I would like answered. I'm making my own tcg and when I print the cards I mess up. i have an inkjet printer and I used photo paper, however the ink doesn't set into the paper. i let it sit to dry fo about 30 hours. any suggestions to help me out? should I use glossy card stock? I want them to look nice but I don't want to spend to much on this project.

Suggestion 1: Use paper and ink recommended by the manufacturer.

Suggestion 2: Design something else other than another Trading Card Game. That ship sailed long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you value your time as much as your money - you may want to consider using an online printing service if you have one locally. No more headache of dealing with paper and ink plus when you pick it up they will have in-store resources that you can use for free on your project. i.e. huge industrial strength cutter to cut the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Are you using inkjet compatible paper? Some papers are meant for laser printers only, some inkjet only, some are okay with both.

Did you use appropriate settings in your print dialog? The paper type is important, and dictates how much ink the printer will deposit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
It may cost more than you want but you may want to try a local graphics artists firm. But it sounds like you are trying to do it yourself. You may want to scan them on your printer and then print them off yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan hill
msg tools
thanks for the response. its really just a thing I'm doing for playing with friends who share a niche interest, but I have always wanted to make a board game or table top hobby game so maybe someday i'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan hill
msg tools
I have thought of taking it to print shops or whatever but since the source material is a popular anime I wouldn't want to get myself in trouble somehow like infringing on copyrights or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlanTheBreadMan wrote:

For your initial drafts, just print on a laser printer on plain paper. So much faster and cheaper. Don't bother wasting time and money on a nicer print until you've got something refined.

IMO and IME inkjet printing on photo paper or any kind of gloss stocks, using consumer level equipment, just plain sucks. It's expensive, a PITA, and the results are mediocre at best.

Low effort, low cost approach: print on plain paper and put'em in card sleeves.

Low effort, more cost approach: upload the card images to an online printer (gamecrafter, makeplayingcards, etc) and order up some decks. To make your money back, guilt your friends into buying decks, too.

More effort, less cost approach: make cards at home. Print on linen paper, spray adhere them onto card stock, spray seal them.

There are a ton of "make cards" threads here in the DIY forum. Look around. Check YouTube for how-to's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan hill
msg tools
my only issue with the printing on regular paper is that the paper is so soaked with ink. I was going to put them in card sleeves anyway so that's not a big deal. I guess my next question is can I get them made by someone else online or whatever even though I'm using images from an actual anime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My advice is to please scroll up and edit your top post so it has a decent Subject line, like "Need advice on printing cards"

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like something is messed up in your print settings or printer drivers if your paper is getting soaked with ink. If it can't be fixed on the software side - do try that first - one option might be to use coverstock; it's thicker than normal paper so it can soak up more ink. The problem though is it won't stop the general decline in print quality/blurriness that comes with too much ink depositing. Personally I've found one sheet of coverstock (~200g/m2) and one sheet of regular paper glued together gives about the right thickness and stiffness for playing cards.

If you're not done play-testing your game to death, don't bother trying to make nice prints. There are going to be so many things you'll want to alter.

You may also run into trouble getting stuff printed by a 3rd party if it contains copyrighted material, which anime characters would definitely fall under.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlanTheBreadMan wrote:
my only issue with the printing on regular paper is that the paper is so soaked with ink. I was going to put them in card sleeves anyway so that's not a big deal. I guess my next question is can I get them made by someone else online or whatever even though I'm using images from an actual anime?

Inkjet prints on plain paper should be instantly dry.

Have a computer savvy friend look over your settings. It could be something simple like having the wrong media selected.

You may just need to lighten up your images or cut back on saturation in the print settings.

If you ask a third party to print for you, they should at a minimum ask you to certify you have permissions / rights / yadda to the images you are submitting.

But again, knock together a prototype, playtest it, refine and polish the game, before submitting yourself to the misery of actual production. Index cards and pencils make for dirt cheap, editable prototype decks ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just print them on card stock single sided and regular printer paper for the backs. Then glue them together and throw them into penny sleeves.

If you want it nicer than that, see the stickyed post at the top of the DIY forum and look in the card section.

All the DIY links you never knew you needed

Also, browse the Hot Deals forums. Card printing websites usually hold sales of three 52 card decks for $19.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan hill
msg tools
thanks again to everyone for the advice. I'm definitely going to finish the game first, don't waste resources just se the flaws when its to late. I'm going to mess around with my printer settings and see if I can fix the ink soaking issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend DriveThruCards.com. They have consistently done well by me. (And when they don't, they fix any errors at cost to themselves, which I find very admirable.) Their cost is 8 cents per card, plus very reasonable shipping. I think the most I've paid for ordering over a hundred cards at a time was $4 shipping.

Please keep in mind, I don't work for DTC. I'm just a major fan after all the cool stuff they continue to do for me.

If you're using GIMP (like I do, because it's free), remember to put your work through a CMYK converter on-line to check it out. (Also free.) Since your results will vary significantly from what the printer sends you otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Godin
Canada
Grande Prairie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
If you're using GIMP (like I do, because it's free), remember to put your work through a CMYK converter on-line to check it out. (Also free.) Since your results will vary significantly from what the printer sends you otherwise.

Very sound (or visual) advice...my monitor at works gives me fairly comparable results, at home on my laptop, not so much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another ink-saving step is to print them out in black-and-white (grayscale). Some printer driver panels let you choose black and white output for any file, whether the original file contains color or not.

That is, if color is not a critical part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 decks for 18 is happening.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1858605/artscow-3-18-w-free...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.