14 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Location Encounter - Question regarding resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stratocaster
msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking for confirmation on how to resolve the timing below.

Arkham Encounter Location:
Unvisited Isle

Encounter Text:
A silent man brushes past you on the trail. Your arm goes numb with cold from the brief contact, and you whirl around to look at him, but he has disappeared. Lose 1 Stamina and pass a Will (-1) check or lose 1 Sanity as well.

Specific Circumstances:
My investigator has one (1) Stamina and one (1) Sanity, and will not pass the Will check (nor has any clues).

Is this resolved as A or B below?

Resolved as A:
Lose 1 Stamina, and immediately move to St. Mary's Hospital, preventing the Will check from triggering.
Result = Investigator is unconscious, is positioned at St. Mary's with one (1) stamina and one (1) sanity.

Resolved as B:
Lose 1 Stamina and perform the Will check, which fails. This results in a zero (0) stamina and zero (0) sanity state, which will trigger the rule "If an investigator is reduced to both 0 Sanity and 0 Stamina at the same time, that investigator is devoured."
Result = Investigator devoured

Thanks in advance for inputs & guidance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Resolution A.

According to the rule book: "If an investigator is ever reduced to 0 Stamina while in Arkham, the investigator is knocked unconscious. He must immediately choose and discard half of his items and half of his Clue tokens (rounded down), along with all retainers (if any). The player then immediately moves his investigator to St. Mary’s Hospital." [emphasis mine]

If you're unconscious, how can you whirl around to look at the silent man and lose Sanity for doing so?

That's how I'd interpret it, anyway. Others may advise differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B is correct. It's not "lose 1 Stamina and THEN do this other thing." It's "lose 1 Stanima AND make this check to see if you ALSO lose 1 Sanity."

Golden Rule of Arkham -- assume the worst... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
B is correct. It's not "lose 1 Stamina and THEN do this other thing." It's "lose 1 Stanima AND make this check to see if you ALSO lose 1 Sanity."

I second this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Miller
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Fair point. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

you´re right.

just follow the card toby... you loose one stamina AND THEN do a will check....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stratocaster
msg tools
mbmbmb
All,

Thanks for the inputs.
I also anticipated 'B' to be the correct answer (due to the word 'and'), but wanted to check with the Arkham consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to buck the trend, but events not in a specified order are ordered as the players wish.This is one of the very few advantages the Investigators have, and it should be milked ehenever possible.

In the case of your example, since the card reads "and", not "then", you hsve two unorded events; you msy execute either first, or declare them simultaneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Sorry to buck the trend, but events not in a specified order are ordered as the players wish.This is one of the very few advantages the Investigators have, and it should be milked ehenever possible.

In the case of your example, since the card reads "and", not "then", you hsve two unorded events; you msy execute either first, or declare them simultaneous.

True, but the key is that you must execute both of them, without being able to prevent the other by going to either St. Mary's or the Asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Radulla wrote:

True, but the key is that you must execute both of them, without being able to prevent the other by going to either St. Mary's or the Asylum.

Excellent point... but the new event, "move to St. May's and gain one hp back," can be slipped in before the sanity loss. You end up at the asylum with one
sanity and one stamina (or an injury and a madness, if you are using Dunwich).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
Radulla wrote:

Excellent point... but the new event, "move to St. May's and gain one hp back," can be slipped in before the sanity loss. You end up at the asylum with one
sanity and one stamina (or an injury and a madness, if you are using Dunwich).

I disagree completely. The "Lose 1 Stamina" and the "Check or Lose 1 Sanity" are simultaneous, sure. But the "move to St. Mary's" occurs after the Stamina loss by definition (and therefore also after the SIMULTANEOUS Sanity loss).

The simultaneous Stam/San losses should be resolved before the followup. This is precisely the type of situation that the "if you hit zero on both, get devoured" rule is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric the GM wrote:
Radulla wrote:
... but the new event, "move to St. May's and gain one hp back," can be slipped in before the sanity loss. You end up at the asylum with one sanity and one stamina (or an injury and a madness, if you are using Dunwich).

...The simultaneous Stam/San losses should be resolved before the followup. This is precisely the type of situation that the "if you hit zero on both, get devoured" rule is for.

Quoting this for emphasis. If Radulla's interpretation was correct, the rule for hitting 0/0 would (most likely) be unnecessary, because it can not happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Carraro
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B is correct.

The text on card is just a flavor and NOT REALLY a roleplay story to do dozens of imaginative perceptions on how to resolve...

think like a straight program... do this AND do that.

mostly cards in arkham horror don´t have a AND(like, OR) statement.

better luck next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's also B, devoured!

What reminds me, my latest game (this Saturday), Mandy was devoured.

Being in Yogoth and encountering Shub with just one knife kind does that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.