Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ccgames/war-titans-inva...

This kickstarter looks great, but it isn't moving much since the eagerly awaiting people that were already following it backed it. I really wanna see it succeed, mostly because I want it soooooo bad, but also because I got to help edit the English language rulebook and feel invested now.

The creators are very active and are listening to all criticisms to help make this campaign successful.

Also, if you guys don't mind, there are some social goals that you could help us achieve if you just share this post on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/crawlingchaosgames/videos/152486146...

Poll
Choose as many answers as you feel apply and feel free to elaborate in your replies!
What's stopping you from backing this game? I'll pass along the constructive criticism you guys provide to the creators!
Price: too expensive
Foreign: wary of backing for whatever reason (shipping, translation, support)
Art Issues: bland/ boring game board/cards/etc
Fulfillment date is too far away
Unknown creator: afraid of losing money
I'm backing it right away!
      19 answers
Poll created by grandmasterstevo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really appreciate the answers so far guys! Keep em coming, and if you don't mind, share that social goal link! I think the first one is already unlocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g t
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, I'm Gianluca one of the creator of War Titans.

Firs of all thanks to Steve for writing this post and also thanks to the people that have answered the poll. You are giving us an important feedback.

I wanted to say a couple of things to begin what I think can become an interesting dialogue between Us (as kickstarter creators) and You (as potential backers). For us it will be a unique chance to know what we are doing right and what wrong in you eyes

It seems that the 2 major issues of our campaign are the art and the price.

For the latter I totally understand what can trigger the problem: Cmon and other bigs make huge kickstarters with a lot of minis for few bucks more than ours. So the backer can think that he shouldn't pay this much for what we offer. Am I correct?

If that's the case maybe we can explain why there's so much difference between us and them. Well, We are not CMON obviously . We can't divide the costs of molding into thousands of copies and this made the price of each copy higher than theirs. But is not just that: We made the choice to make every titan or invader in the game as a unique figure. Only in the core box (without any SG) there are 28 different models(for a total of 39 models). I think that only few games can count this amount of unique figures. If you were paying only the minis the cost should be 3,5€ for each 50mm model and you still have other components, stretch goals, art and rules for free

Obviously I'm not trying to convince anyone that our price is right, I just wanted to explain what are the reasons behind.

the second big flaw seems to be the art. Well I guess that we are talking about the graphic design and not the illustrations because usually everybody loves our illustrations. Maybe we werent enough clear on that, but the graphic you see in the video and photo are from the prototype. We are already working for a definitive version that should look more like this wip:

Of course we we will show more later in the campaign.

Obviously you don't know Us and you have all the rights to not trust our project but I promise that We worked hard for years to get this game done right and everybody that have played the game loved it.

Sorry for the wall of text but this is very important to me make me get carried easily!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So that nobody gets the wrong idea here, I'm a backer just like the rest of us. I saw their posts on social media while they were showing off the art and models and really wanted to help out in some small way. Luckily my wife is an amazing editor and the rulebook needed a bit of help, so it was a win-win. In no way am I getting paid for my help or being asked to create posts like this. I just want to help a great project succeed.

That said, I really dig the WiP layout. It reads very "military asset and strategy" map. It kinda has a video gamey feel to it. I don't think they are trying to recreate individual city battles, more like asset deployment and destruction on a global scale. It's not too distracting, it's colorful but simple to read, and totally works!

What specific criticisms do y'all have about this new WiP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gredin 06
France
flag msg tools
Thank you for starting this thread.

I love super robot taisen games
War titans seems to be a healthy mix of pacific rim and super robot taisen.

I'll state my doubts and questions now since I am stil on the fence despite loving the theme.

1) How do you balance armor ? In most games where armor is flat damage reduction, it is very hard to balance. It increases effective HP a lot. It also makes repairs very effective since every HP on a titan with armor is worth more.

2) I am a bit disppointed supports are glorified damage absorb tokens. Especially wih rise of the overlord having so many of them.

3) Rise of the overlord, sorry but I dont think there is enough content in here for $60. Unless the supports are awesome or something.

4) Blazing Star It is nice to have a new titan/ Pilot. But do we get a standee / mini or do we only play with 4 mechanical invaders if someone plays blazing star as their titan ?

5) I am a bit confused by the defcon difficulty mechanic. Basically, if you are doing good, defcon will raise slowly and the difficulty will ramp up slowly as well. If you get overwhelmed you fight an uphill battle because more cities are destroyed, you get closer to a defcon game over and enemies get stronger while their reward values stays the same. It seems weird to make the game harder for struggling players and easier for players doing well. If you are doing well, you are better equipped to deal with the added challenge of stronger invaders aren't you ?

6) I sort of wished Overlords had a mini/token/standee and stats for their phase 2 rather some random skill check, closing a rift feels a bit anti climactic. Otoh if you fail the skill check, having a titan take huge damage or be destroyed by a piece of cardboard in a game with minis doesn't feel right to me.

Thanks in advance,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g t
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Gredin, I'll try to answer your questions!

1) After hundreds of test games I can say that the armor is pretty balanced. Only a few Titans start the game with an Armor value of 1, there are few items that can upgrade your Armor and most of them are consumable. Also they are very useful to sustain raw damage but it can be pretty tricky to prevent damage inflicted to the cities (that is the main problem) since the Invaders spawn in many different places.

2) the supports from RotO add new mechanics and make the choice of “what kind of support do I buy” more interesting. There are also some tech cards that transform the supports in something totally different (EG: combination module and explosive drones).

3)It brings 2 new titans, 24 new supports and 2 new pilots and also adds the 1vsMany mechanic. Each overlord has its Overlord sheet, its own special abilities, its card deck and its peculiar mechanics. Each Overlord has a different playstyle (Eg: Charles Lazar fight also with his Titan on the board).

4) If you choose to use Blazing star you have to remove 1 titan from the roster and use that mini instead. We are also thinking to create an extra Rift with Aaron Reid (it's like a 'what if' the traitor was Aaron instead of Charles) and remove his pilot card from the roster if you use Charles Lazar as a pilot.

5) The defcon increases by 1 each turn so the threat constantly goes up; it's up to the player to contain the menace and to close the rifts in the process. The situation on the board could change drastically the difficulty of the final episode. So yes, if you are doing well it is easier for you to deal with the invaders and such but it could mean that you are just farming... then you remember that rifts are actually a thing it's already to late (a lot of tester made this error in the first few games and they were overwelmed by the invaders )

6)We love the idea of overlords as Minis, but realistically speaking adding mold costs for something that is just aestetich can be hard. If the bakers think that a standee with the overlord art could be interesting we can add those to the game. I personally am not sure that a standee will work when you have a mini next to them (the first version of our games had standee for invaders and mini for titans and it wasn't that great).

Thanks to you for bringing such interesting topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The project now has some add-ons!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.