Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: An interesting loophole rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexis Hunt
Canada
flag msg tools
Me:
Quote:
If the 'Shard of the Throne' law is passed and given to a player, and later either discarded or re-voted, does the former owner (or the same owner if they are elected again) lose the victory point from the card?

FFG:
Quote:
Because the losing of the victory points is tied to the combat and not the losing of the card, the former owner would keep the victory point in both cases.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bog Zal
Portugal
flag msg tools
See 87.6 for a similar rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Seems legit.

That said, 87.6 seems to fly in the face of logic, so I might "forget" that rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Skinner
United States
KANSAS CITY
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
Seems legit.

That said, 87.6 seems to fly in the face of logic, so I might "forget" that rule.


You don't have to read it that way. Think of winning the vote in the first place as the Victory Point condition.

If something causes the card to be discarded or re-voted, you STILL won that initial vote (and the Victory Point), you are just removing the clause that could remove a point later.

The Logic is sound if you think of winning and losing a Victory Point as two different clauses and two different points. It isn't "borrowing" a single victory point for the duration of the card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd treat that as any public/private objective - I Control Mecatol Rex at beginning of turn. If you lose control, you don't lose the point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Sorry but this just sounds like apologists making excuses. I shouldn't have to leap through logical hoops to make this rule work. If I wanted to do that I would continue playing third edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Gylthinel wrote:
Sorry but this just sounds like apologists making excuses. I shouldn't have to leap through logical hoops to make this rule work. If I wanted to do that I would continue playing third edition.


You can disagree, That's fine. But this isn't a leap of logic or even unusual for games. I assume you don't play Magic, Netrunner, etc. as it works almost identically in games like those. Effects are tied to the cards that created them. They don't exist in a vacuum once the card is gone. The VP gain isn't temporary, the card just provides a way to also remove a VP from the elected player. If the card goes away, the VP doesn't go away (no extant rule says it does) but the rule allowing for a VP to be lost does.

Cards do what they say, exactly what they say, no more and no less, and do not persist once they are gone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Batariel wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
Sorry but this just sounds like apologists making excuses. I shouldn't have to leap through logical hoops to make this rule work. If I wanted to do that I would continue playing third edition.


You can disagree, That's fine. But this isn't a leap of logic or even unusual for games. I assume you don't play Magic, Netrunner, etc. as it works almost identically in games like those. Effects are tied to the cards that created them. They don't exist in a vacuum once the card is gone. The VP gain isn't temporary, the card just provides a way to also remove a VP from the elected player. If the card goes away, the VP doesn't go away (no extant rule says it does) but the rule allowing for a VP to be lost does.

Cards do what they say, exactly what they say, no more and no less, and do not persist once they are gone.

Card games and their conventions may have a place in the board game world, but that doesn't make it logical. I would consider it more of an understood convention, like the concept of tapping a card when you use the resource.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you give VP temporary it would slow down the game much more and you win by stalling if so. I think the rule is ok. Many of the Agendas and or Cards have drawbacks later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.