Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Smash Up: Cease and Desist is all about the parody of the source material and of course the additional variety it gives to fans of Smash Up. Is this the first expansion someone would buy? Maybe. I would say this is likely to be a quick purchase for fans of the original source material: Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Transformers. These are obvious rip offs of the originals with all the intended humor included. If you are a fan of this source material and Smash Up, then this is Nirvana for you.

Otherwise, you get 4 factions that are actually really fun to play with. I love the Ensign card in the Star Trek where the red shirt is sent down to be killed in the place of your good cards (just like the show!). The Red Wedding is reference among many other references. Sure it is played for humor, but not just for humor so the joke can last a pretty long time.

Of course the game gives you a ton of variety. We get 4 new factions that can be combined with all the previous cards and those in the future. I was eager to try out AGOT with the dragons and it was a lot of fun. This is a huge "cool" factor to me. I love things like this so the set gets a boost from me. When I introduce this game to new gamers, someone always picks one of these factions because it is fun. It helps new people to the system enjoy it.

I highly recommend this series if you are a fan of any of the source material. Which is my favorite faction? Star Trek. Least: Transformers. Although I really like the AGOT also

Keeper.

Components:

The components are just the cards. The cards match the others in the series perfectly and you get 4 factions instead of the normal 4. The factions are fun, the art is wonderful and the quality is great! Nothing to complain about here. It is really fun to see the references and the art work included. There are a lot of jokes included and little small references.

Rule Book:

The rule book is very similar to the other books in the series. It does a good job of explaining the rules, but the majority of the rules are on the cards (not in the rule book).

Flow of the Game:

The game comes with 4 factions and nothing really plays differently outside the powers that are always new in an expansion for this game. Each of the four sets play differently and can be combined with any other set in the series. Your mileage will vary with effectiveness of the combinations.

Should I buy this game?:

This is for hard core fans of the Smash Up series. Or maybe you are a huge fan of the original source material being parodied. Otherwise, you buy everything or the factions that appeal to you.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

Components:

... and you get 4 factions instead of the normal 4. ...

Copy paste error from your previous review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Components:

... and you get 4 factions instead of the normal 4. ...

Copy paste error from your previous review?

Caught me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.