Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking of ways to either add on 5-6 player rules, or create new scenarios that are made specifically for 5-6 players. To do that, it'd be useful to brainstorm and standardize a set of rules and techniques for balancing scenarios for larger player counts.

What are your ideas for creating balanced and interesting 5-6 player rules for current scenarios, or new scenarios?

A few ideas from the start:
Disconnect encounter deck with the doom track, or at least less cards that just add to the doom track.

Generic "Uneventful" cards that do nothing, or are minor. Can be transferred to another player by paying a resource and drawing a new encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've got it backwards. You seem to think each extra investigator is less useful than the previous ones. But it's the opposite. Each extra investigator can cover 1 more location, and deal with objectives too. The game has some built in scaling like with monster health and clues per investigator but it doesn't scale the map to be any bigger to account for extra coverage, or just the fact you are able to get help more often on skill tests. This is where the encounter cards that add doom come in - they speed up the game proportionally more for larger groups.

So I think the encounter decks should be left untouched. Maybe it needs to be made bigger just so you don't cycle through the doom ones as often but only by creating duplicates of other just-as-nasty but not-as-timey cards (not by adding in blanks, definitely, definitely not this).

I've played a 5 player Night of the Zealot campaign. The only scenario where there was really a problem was Midnight Masks since setup varies by player count and there's no obvious way to scale it to 5 (because there aren't enough acolytes). I think we replaced one of the Acolytes with a Wizard of the Order. I don't think it was enough, so I think it should also start with a Doom on it, too.

I think the main problem you'll find with this many players is simply downtime. I'd try and come up with some sort of balanced simultaneous play mechanisms so it doesn't drag during the player phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.