Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Players Playing - How many Characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex J
United States
New York
flag msg tools
So I have looked through a lot of posts and I haven't found the answer or discussion I am looking for. I apologize in advance if I am blind and passed right over it lol.

I am going to be playing with my wife.

Should we:
1. Each play as a character.
2. Each play as a character and have a third character as well that is controlled by both of us in some manner.
3. Each play as two characters?

I have seen comments like this:
If you play with two characters total (1 for each), the scenarios go faster so you can experience the game quicker and play more.
If you play with more than 1 character for each person its bad because you know the goals of the other players and the stuff they are trying to do.
If you play with two characters each it can be clunky managing two characters.
You should play with at least 3 characters so there is more synergy.
If you only play with two characters then not all of the characters will be unlocked during the game.

I know there is no direct or "right" answer. But does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/ideas.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it with one character each and if you decide you don't like that add one or two. The hand management is critical so it is best to focus on one character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex J
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Dougmysticeye wrote:
Try it with one character each and if you decide you don't like that add one or two. The hand management is critical so it is best to focus on one character.

That was kinda my plan. But what if we like the game at one character each but don't know what I am missing with the third character! lol It'll be the end of the world! I know, I am sarcastically overreacting...just trying to see if anyone else has gone through this experience. Someone out there has to have.

Thanks for the response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
I don't have the game yet, but my friend and I will be the primary players. We are planning on each doing 2 characters in order to experience more of the game. I think playing only one each, you won't get to play a significant amount of the 17 classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd go straight in with two characters each and pull back if it wasn't fun. Because I always like to max out on complexity like that. Be true to yourself and your tendencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play with at least three characters if you want to unlock most of the game content by the time you finish the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo with 3 characters most of the time. Two characters each should be fine, but maybe start with one each for the first couple of scenarios. By the third, you'll have it down well enough to easily add the 3rd and 4th characters to your party. Not only that, but you'll each have fun picking your 2nd character, opening the new boxes, and naming and equipping them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 pl with 1 char each works great (played more than 100 games this way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Handrejk
Germany
Scheeßel
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!” ― Benjamin Franklin
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with two charaktes for each player, but you need a lot of more time and have to learn two classes a time and handle this. when playing descent 2nd edition we allways used this method, but it does not work for gloomhaven, it was a lot of more fund and worked very good as we reduced to 1 charakter per player. Faste play and better understanding od how everything works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with Martin,

We play 1 character each and that allows us to explore each character's abilities and nuances in some depth. Our play is concentrated into weekends which could be months apart though and remembering how our chars worked from one session to the next is already a challenge!

Plus scenarios are done in an hour or so and set up and tear down for each scenario is easier allowing us to get through more content in our sessions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question also.
When u play with 2 players for some sessions
is it then possible for a new player to join with a new character
I ask this because i will mostly play with 1 other person and sometimes the 3th person wil join and he wants to continue with his own character.

Can i also play Solo with 2 character and use one of those character when i play in my other group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From What I have seen the game is scaleable to do just that. I can't wait until it arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I would advise you to start with 1 character each. In this way you get to learn the game and your character class. Later you can switch to multiple characters. Both playstyles have advantages and disadvantages.

Playing one character:
+You can concentrate on that character and learn about it's strengths and weaknesses
+Scenario can be finished in less time
+You can play with secret information, the way it is supposed to be

Playing multiple characters:
+You get to experience setups with more monsters on the board
+You have a higher chance to have a class in your group that helps you with city / travel events
+You progress faster (in terms of unlocking new classes, donations to the temple, prosperity due to retirement etc.)
+Better use of synergies
+some support classes are stronger with 3-4 characters compared to a 2 character game
+Some scenarios are easier with 4 characters than with 2
+More complexity/fun in general
-More thinking, planning and card management required
-especially difficult, when you play one or more of the character classes for the first time
-You are forced to play with revealed cards and open information and therefor miss some parts of the game mechanics
-You will spoiler yourself the battlegoals very quick (I made the mistake to play 4 characters solo during the first few games. In this way I got to see 8 of the battle goals each time and already knew all of them after just a couple of games. The same thing will happen when you play 4 characters with another player and open cards. Another reason why you should play only one character during the first plays.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex J
United States
New York
flag msg tools
danom wrote:
I would advise you to start with 1 character each. In this way you get to learn the game and your character class. Later you can switch to multiple characters. Both playstyles have advantages and disadvantages.

Playing one character:
+You can concentrate on that character and learn about it's strengths and weaknesses
+Scenario can be finished in less time
+You can play with secret information, the way it is supposed to be

Playing multiple characters:
+You get to experience setups with more monsters on the board
+You have a higher chance to have a class in your group that helps you with city / travel events
+You progress faster (in terms of unlocking new classes, donations to the temple, prosperity due to retirement etc.)
+Better use of synergies
+some support classes are stronger with 3-4 characters compared to a 2 character game
+Some scenarios are easier with 4 characters than with 2
+More complexity/fun in general
-More thinking and planning required
-especially difficult, when you play one or more of them for the first time
-You are forced to play with revealed cards and open information and therefor miss some parts of the game mechanics
-You will spoiler yourself the battlegoals very quick (I made the mistake to play 4 characters solo during the first few games. In this way I got to see 8 of the battle goals each time and already knew all of them after just a couple of games. The same thing will happen when you play 4 characters with another player and open cards. Another reason why you should play only one character during the first plays.)

Thanks Stefan,

This is the exact type of analysis I was looking for. I knew I wouldn't get a direct answer of "do this many characters." This response gives me the pros/cons and I can just weigh out what we think we like/don't like and go from there. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice question and answers!
Hopefully without spoilers, but are there characters to Avoid using if playing only 2 players/1 char each?
If answering that will cause spoilers, or if the answer is clear when I get the game (I don't have it yet), then never mind :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Nice question and answers!
Hopefully without spoilers, but are there characters to Avoid using if playing only 2 players/1 char each?
If answering that will cause spoilers, or if the answer is clear when I get the game (I don't have it yet), then never mind

There are a lot of recommendations in the forums about good two-character combos. Sorry I don't have any direct links, but this has been discussed a lot, so you should be able to find a thread without digging too deeply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't yet have the game either, but went through the first scenario of the Kickstarter campaign three times, playing a pair of characters each time. It was nice to get a little exposure to each of the first six characters, their skills and cards. And playing two characters at once was do-able, but I wouldn't want to sign up for it long term. It will be much more fun for me to fully invest in one character and see where that goes.

I'm seriously leaning toward the mindthief at this point, but I'll probably feel better about myself if I play the cragheart ... he seems like a much nicer mercenary than the rat-swarmy goodness of our vermling friend. But seriously, how can I not play the mindthief?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:
I'm seriously leaning toward the mindthief at this point, but I'll probably feel better about myself if I play the cragheart ... he seems like a much nicer mercenary than the rat-swarmy goodness of our vermling friend. But seriously, how can I not play the mindthief?

Rethorical question, you already know the answer. You have to play the Mindthief. She is awesome! Also nothing restricts you to imagine her with a kind of "nicer" personality, not every Vermling is mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
Yes my Mindthief enjoyed calling out the other characters as racist for their attitude to Vermlings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.