Subject: WWII Pacific theater recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Nelson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for a wargame that covers fleet action and airstrikes in the Pacific in WWII.

I'm just getting started in boardgaming, and am looking for a certain type of game.

I really enjoyed the campaigns of an old Microprose game, 1942: The Pacific Air War. Yes, I mostly played it for the flight sims, but I also enjoyed taking control of the fleets and airbases. Setting course/speed of the task forces, sending out search planes, controlling the Combat Air Patrol, building and sending airstrikes, and surface action.

I was kind of hoping to buy one game to cover it all, but I've never been big on grand strategy games, so maybe I'll need to focus on the individual battles.

Does anyone know of a game or series that would follow this general idea?

If possible, I'd like a solitaire game, but I know when you're looking for enemy units that are moving and acting, solitaire isn't always possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One recently published games is Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45. I really liked Holdfast Russia, but I haven't played the naval games.

Another strategic level game is Pacific Victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, you may receive more responses if you post in the Wargamer subdomain here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargames

There are solitaire board wargames for the Pacific WW2 Theatre.

Here are a few (haven't played any of the following games, so can't comment in detail):

Probably these two are closest, I think (maybe?) for what you're looking for:
Carrier - a "grail" wargame for many and highly rated. Includes a "Final Countdown" scenario with the USN Nimitz.
Tokyo Express - tactical naval battles, Guadalcanal. Solitaire rules, plus also plays with 2 players.

Other solitaire Pacific WW2 games:
D-Day at Peleliu and D-Day at Tarawa - both games use the same solitaire game system.
Fleet Commander: Nimitz
Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45 - solitaire, submarine operations in the Pacific
Silent War - solitaire, operational level sub ops Pacific WW2, plus the USN Seawolf as a very optional unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirk lange
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You could also look into the Axis and Allies War at Seaset if you can get your hands on the fleets. I picked up quite a few bits here and there and really enjoy the lightweight but immersive approach to some historical scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.