Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Barlag
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own the game but have not brought it out to play yet. Is there an advantage to the player not drawing cards? For example, I draw a cross symbol. All I need to do is look out for another cross symbol and be prepared to say my answer as soon as it's flipped. However, the person drawing that second cross symbol must first look around the table for the other cross symbol. If there are 6 players, they might be looking at 5 other cards before they find the symbol that matches. It seems to me there is a disadvantage at having those wasted seconds looking for the matching card. Just wondering if my assumption is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Turner
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you quite understand how the game flows. Each player flips a card - face away from them so they don't get to see it first - onto their pile, and then if there are any matches, the first person to say an eligible word of the category of the other card that matches theirs gets the card. Then, any cascades are resolved, and the next person only flips their card when there are no more matching cards showing. So no one ever has cards in their hands at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Barlag
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand how the game works. Maybe I'm being unclear in my query. I have a cross symbol face up in front of me. As soon as someone flips over a card with a cross, I will be immediately ready to come up with an answer to their card while the flipper has to look around the table for a matching cross, which can be up to 5 other cards in a 6 player game. Can you see how they would be at a disadvantage in reaction time?

Your answer sounds like you mean that every player flips over a card simultaneously which is incorrect. The rules state that every player takes turns flipping cards in clockwise order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tbarlag wrote:
I understand how the game works. Maybe I'm being unclear in my query. I have a cross symbol face up in front of me. As soon as someone flips over a card with a cross, I will be immediately ready to come up with an answer to their card while the flipper has to look around the table for a matching cross, which can be up to 5 other cards in a 6 player game. Can you see how they would be at a disadvantage in reaction time?

Your answer sounds like you mean that every player flips over a card simultaneously which is incorrect. The rules state that every player takes turns flipping cards in clockwise order.

I just played this for the first time.

Yes, whoever has their card flipped is at a disadvantage just as you say. Each person is aware of their card symbol, and are just looking to see if the new one is the symbol, so they only have 1 card to check. The person flipping it is getting a new symbol which they have to check against all of the other players (n-1 cards), so they will react more slowly. The more people, the greater the disadvantage.

However, since everyone shares the flipping equally, it's not really a disadvantage against a single person. Everyone shares it, so it's fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.