• [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Any Reviews of the SECOND EDITION? What do you folks think?
Duglis (#29595),

I like both first and second. Consimworld used to have a ton of writeups on the advantages and disadvantages. I think most find the second edition better.

My initial reaction was negative. I felt that it was pretty balanced before and the changes favored Carthage. Specifically, removing the instant win for Rome by killing Hannibal allowed Carthage to be a little more reckless with Hannibal. (If you could do enough damage in Italy and then lose Hannibal, it is worth it.) However, maybe the changes to the consular army are enough compensation, because it still feels very balanced to me. laugh

The second edition is all that people play now and I don't miss the first edition as much as I thought I might!

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The removal of the instant win for killing Hannibal was actually eratta for the first edition, not a second edition change.

The number of changes between the first edition plus eratta and the second edition are minor and extremely small. The only one I can vaguely remember is that now you are disallowed from intercepting a moving army if there were enemy SPs in the space before the enemy army moved in. Not a big deal. There was also an optional modifier to the attrition roll for crossing the alps which I don't recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, Chris,
Thanks for your initial answers

I'll have to check out consimworld.

-Douglas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.