United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I just posted this as a Kickstarter update, so forgive the copypasta...

I haven't made it a secret that I can't help but tweak my games. And after hundreds of demos of The Networks after hundreds of playtests, there are a few Network Cards I've found could use a bit of attention.

The next printing of The Networks base game will update the powers of four existing Network Cards: Market Research, Daytime Soaps, Advertising Push, and Flexible Schedule. I'm also going to clarify the text on Audition, but its power will not change.

Market Research

New text: When Developing a Show, play to require 1 fewer Genre Icons for a Genre Bonus that turn. Get a Genre Bonus if eligible, but skip your next Genre Bonus.

In other words, this card will work exactly the same as before (with more clearly-written text to make its use more obvious), but is now nerfed a bit; using the card's power will cause you to skip your next Genre Bonus. We're updating the rulebook to suggest rotating the Market Research card 180 degrees instead of immediately discarding it. The next time you'd get a Genre Bonus, you'd discard the rotated Market Research card instead.

I've tested this a bunch, and I'm much happier with how this works. For advanced players, this card was a no-brainer. Now, it's still extremely useful, but is much more situational.

Daytime Soaps

New text: After scoring Reruns, you may spend $1M to keep 1 Rerun from dropping into Archives. Discard and spend $1M at game end to score 1 Rerun during endgame scoring.

I've dropped the cost of using this card from $3M to $1M. It's much more useful now, and testers are using it a bunch more. We're also clarifying its endgame/discard power, to call out that it works on only one Rerun at the end of the game.

Advertising Push

New text: Get 3 Viewers for free, or spend $5M to get 10 Viewers.

I've dropped the cost of the second choice of this card from $10M to $5M. That makes it much more interesting for a trailing player to pick up (or Underground, if they can afford it!).

Flexible Schedule

New text: Play during Show scoring to consider all Shows in your lineup as being in their preferred time slot this Season.

Flexible Schedule now works across your entire lineup, not just on one Show. It's a little more situational, but I wanted the card to be worth more than its current maximum value of 5 Viewers.

MINI-FAQ

How can I get these cards?
They'll be in the next printing of the game. If you already own the game, I'm offering replacements to Kickstarter backers (and, if you miss the Kickstarter, to pre-order customers too). I'll have some copies afterwards, so there should be a way to get them afterwards soon.

Will the cards exactly match my printing?

If you own the second printing or later, yes, these cards should exactly match your printing, barring any manufacturing defects. I'm working closely with my current manufacturer, Panda, to make sure we won't get any surprises.

If you have the first printing, I'm afraid there may be small color differences in the card backs of the replacement cards. We switched manufacturers after that first printing because my first manufacturer struggled with color consistency within the same game, so it didn't even match itself!

Because of this color inconsistency and different manufacturer, I'm going to get as close as I can to the first printing, but I can't guarantee it'll be the exactly the same shade.

Of course, with The Networks, since the cards are usually face-up, the differently-colored card backs are not much of an issue. I know some people find it suboptimal, so I want to mention it right now.

How can I tell what printing I have?

Flip your box over and look in the bottom-right corner, above the barcode. If it says "Second printing," then you have the second printing (or the third printing, because we didn't get a chance to update the back cover before we hit the presses the third time). If it doesn't say "Second printing," then you have the first printing.

I want to try these updated card powers now!

There's nothing stopping you from playing with the original cards, and just house-ruling their powers to the updated versions. And if you use a Sharpie, or sleeve them with a piece of paper showing the updated rule, that works too!

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping that this will make the game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meow San

Chaos Realm of the Soul
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when is the next print coming out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next year! I'll have a more accurate timeline soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, there's no way to get updated network cards for those of us that have the misprints (the ones without what type of action it is) is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
Just out of curiosity, there's no way to get updated network cards for those of us that have the misprints (the ones without what type of action it is) is there?

Do you mean the On the Air Network Cards? I currently don't plan to print extras of those, for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. That's cool. May just write on the cards (gasp) it's nice to have the symbol when reading the cards at a glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Walden
msg tools
mb
IngredientX wrote:
Next year! I'll have a more accurate timeline soon.

Is there some way to get an email reminder or something? Just added this game to my wishlist. If it's going to be over 3 months away I don't want to forgot and have to wait again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnackeyG2 wrote:
Is there some way to get an email reminder or something? Just added this game to my wishlist. If it's going to be over 3 months away I don't want to forgot and have to wait again.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, the best way is to sign up for my mailing list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the German version? Are these changes included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:

Unfortunately, these changes happened after the German version went to print. So they still have the original versions of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Iceland
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how will the KS backers get these cards, again? I have a first printing and am on board for a copy of the Executives (and have been a vocal agitator for the $150k stretch goal... whistle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
So how will the KS backers get these cards, again? I have a first printing and am on board for a copy of the Executives (and have been a vocal agitator for the $150k stretch goal... whistle).

It'll be an add-on in BackerKit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
miruki wrote:

Unfortunately, these changes happened after the German version went to print. So they still have the original versions of the cards.

Pity, is there any chance they'll be added at a later time (like, if/when the expansion gets translated)? :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Pity, is there any chance they'll be added at a later time (like, if/when the expansion gets translated)?

It's certainly a possibility! Hopefully we'll be able to reveal more details soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:

It's certainly a possibility! Hopefully we'll be able to reveal more details soon.

Awesome, that's enough to convince me to pre-order the game for Essen pick-up! I'd have preferred getting the English version, but I believe my friends will feel more confident playing the game with German texts and at 35€ for the pre-order it's just such a steal anyway! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gil, any chance you'll offer the revised cards cheaply in the BGG Store like some other publishers have done for card fixes like this? (Euphoria, Dominion, and a few others are there now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miruki wrote:
Awesome, that's enough to convince me to pre-order the game for Essen pick-up! I'd have preferred getting the English version, but I believe my friends will feel more confident playing the game with German texts and at 35€ for the pre-order it's just such a steal anyway!

That's great! And it's pretty easy to house-rule the old cards with the new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Gil, any chance you'll offer the revised cards cheaply in the BGG Store like some other publishers have done for card fixes like this? (Euphoria, Dominion, and a few others are there now)

They will be available somehow. I haven't decided whether they'll be available through the BGG store, but it will be possible to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:

That's great! And it's pretty easy to house-rule the old cards with the new rules.

I'll probably sleeve the cards anyway, so I'll just use my mad photoshop skills and change the text on the relevant cards, print that out and stuff it in the sleeves with the original cards - maybe no one will even notice. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the copies currently available at CSI, MM, Cardhaus etc the new printing with the corrected cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Are the copies currently available at CSI, MM, Cardhaus etc the new printing with the corrected cards?

No, the copies of the game with the updated (not really "corrected") cards will street date on April 4. I will have updated cards available separately on my web site around then, and I'll offer them at conventions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gil,

Are copies of the base game shipped to Kickstarter backers of The Executives (I just received my copy in Canada yesterday) updated with the new cards? If not, will the updated cards ship with The Executives automatically?

Looking forward to playing - I really enjoyed the game when I played it about a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pledged for the base game, you will not get a separate package of the new cards. That's because the new cards are already in the newest printing of the base game.

If you did not pledge for the base game, you will get a separate package of the new cards.

These new cards will arrive with the expansion and stretch goals in a few months.

Hope this answers the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

No, the copies of the game with the updated (not really "corrected") cards will street date on April 4. I will have updated cards available separately on my web site around then, and I'll offer them at conventions as well.

Some stores like Miniature Market have had copies in stock for months now. Is there anything identifiable on the box that will distinguish the copies with the updated cards so we can be sure of what we're ordering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Some stores like Miniature Market have had copies in stock for months now. Is there anything identifiable on the box that will distinguish the copies with the updated cards so we can be sure of what we're ordering?

Yes, in the box back, on the bottom right, the newest printing with the updated cards says "fourth printing" just above the UPC code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.