Popular Tags: [View All]
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: line up your coins from left to right.

Step 2: count the number of coins in the line (e.g. 4).

Step 3: Google the phrase "random number between 1 and X" (e.g. "random number between 1 and 4")

Step 4: counting left to right, discard the coin matching the number Google spat out.

Discovered this neat little feature by accident, and it sure beats trying to track down a d6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
My box didn't come with google
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
My box didn't come with google

Well, given that it doesn't come with any easy way to randomly select a coin (since they're all different sizes), I figured it was time to think outside the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to think INSIDE the box and use the components that came with the game. So I'll repost my method for randomizing a coin:

Roll 1 red and 1 blue die. If you roll a gremlin face, S&S symbol or double lightning bolt and you have a 50 cr coin, lose the 50 cr coin.

Else...

If you roll any stars and you have a 10 cr coin, lose that.

Else...

Lose a 5 cr coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
I prefer to think INSIDE the box and use the components that came with the game. So I'll repost my method for randomizing a coin:

Roll 1 red and 1 blue die. If you roll a gremlin face, S&S symbol or double lightning bolt and you have a 50 cr coin, lose the 50 cr coin.

Else...

Else...

Lose a 5 cr coin.

Just note that this lessens the nastiness of the Gremlin's stealing ability a bit, since regardless of the distribution of coins you're always most likely to discard a 5 and least likely to discard a 50 (so a character with two 50 coins and one 5 coin would be most likely to discard the 5 coin, which is not true if you're doing a random discard).

Up to you whether you care about that, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Else...

Else...

Lose a 5 cr coin.

Just note that this lessens the nastiness of the Gremlin's stealing ability a bit, since regardless of the distribution of coins you're always most likely to discard a 5 and least likely to discard a 50 (so a character with two 50 coins and one 5 coin would be most likely to discard the 5 coin, which is not true if you're doing a random discard).

Up to you whether you care about that, of course.

That's a good point, I suppose it's not random in the way the designers intended(?) But I don't really care, I just wanted a system that was convenient and easy to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If there is a multiple of 2 number of coins I just have people select one of my hands with hidden coins.

But since I have added a 6-sider to a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
1. For each 5 coin, roll a blue die, count the hits.
2. Repeat for 10 coins.
3. Repeat for 50 coins.

Whichever group gets the most hits loses a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
nice idea, Cozar. But if you have four 10s and one 50 coin, the chances for the 50 are very very low.

I think i will add some normal dice. Line up the coins and roll depending on the number of coins:
D4/2 for 2 coins
D6/2 for 3 coins
D4 for 4 coins
D10/2 for 5 coins
D6 for 6 coins
D8 for 7 coins (reroll 8)
D8 for 8 coins
D10 for 9 coins (reroll 10)
D10 for 10 coins
D12 for 11 coins (reroll 12)
D12 for 12 coins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Close your eyes.
2) Tap your heels together 3 times saying "There's no game like S&S. There's no game like S&S. There's no game like S&S."
3) Throw the coins in the air. Wait until they have all scattered across the floor.
4) Then look for them. The one you can't find is the one discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oort Cloud
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just to say for fifty-fifties... Or where you can go from 4 to 2 to 1 etc...

Roll a blue dice and you can treat hits/no-hits like heads/tails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
efren almenglo
Spain
flag msg tools
Roll 1D6?
(1,2), (3,4),(5,6) for three diferent types of coins.
(1,2,3),(4,5,6) for two diferent types of coins.
If you dont mind using non-box components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Santos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracan wrote:
Roll 1D6?
(1,2), (3,4),(5,6) for three diferent types of coins.
(1,2,3),(4,5,6) for two diferent types of coins.
If you dont mind using non-box components.

This is exactly what I do. I get it's not totally accurate given the number of coins of each type, but it's the simplest/quickest way for me.

I typically keep a D6 in most of my games to make the tough decisions for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
App screams for this coin drop mode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordrian wrote:
nice idea, Cozar. But if you have four 10s and one 50 coin, the chances for the 50 are very very low.

Huh? The chances are exactly the same for each individual coin. In this case 20%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Low-tech version:

Step 1: Line up your coins from left to right, hidden from the sight of others.

Step 2: Count the number of coins in the line (e.g. 4).

Step 3: Ask your S.O. to pick a number between 1 and X" (e.g. "Pick a number between 1 and 4.").

Step 4: Grimace as he/she picks the most valuable coin every time, regardless of the odds against it.

Step 5: Counting left to right, discard the coin matching the number chosen.

Alternatively, forego the above and just discard the inevitable highest value coin, saving time and aggravation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there a rule that says you have to give up the largest denomination coin you have? Or is it that if you're collecting coins, you have to take the largest denomination? It was one of those, I think. Don't have rulebook with me right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
Wasn't there a rule that says you have to give up the largest denomination coin you have? Or is it that if you're collecting coins, you have to take the largest denomination? It was one of those, I think. Don't have rulebook with me right now.

When you are collecting coins you have to take the largest denomination possible. Losing them to a Gremlin is wholly random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
dreadknot69 wrote:

When you are collecting coins you have to take the largest denomination possible. Losing them to a Gremlin is wholly random.

That's it, thanks.

For randomness, I'm just going to drop a colored gem in the bag, for each denomination I have. That way they'll be easy to tell which type you're supposed to toss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:

For randomness, I'm just going to drop a colored gem in the bag, for each denomination I have. That way they'll be easy to tell which type you're supposed to toss.

That's fine, but note that per RAW it's random based on your total number of coins, not random per type of coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about:

- Take as many banknotes as the S&S coin tokens you have (same quantity and kind) and put them in a wallet or a pouch.
- Close your eyes and pick up a random banknote.
- Discard the S&S coin token equal to the banknote drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Simone Romano wrote:
What about:

- Take as many banknotes as the S&S coin tokens you have (same quantity and kind) and put them in a wallet or a pouch.

Simone, I love this game to death but man, this goblin stealing rule is a shocker. Did you put it in there just so reviewers would have something to put into the 'cons' section of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Simone Romano wrote:
What about:

Simone, I love this game to death but man, this goblin stealing rule is a shocker. Did you put it in there just so reviewers would have something to put into the 'cons' section of the rules?

Yep, you hit the nail... this is the main reason!

Joking apart, guys I think the rule is nice for my taste, cause it is one of the main reason to fear a small and weak Gremlin... cause it can steal you so much value! devil

BUT as usual, please bend and change the game rules to fit your taste!
Unless you completely rewrite the rules, making few changes will not affect the gameplay and may increase your personal experience.

regarding how to randomise the coin selection, there are tons of ways, more or less complicated, so I leave it to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Simone Romano wrote:
What about:

Yep, you hit the nail... this is the main reason!

Joking apart, guys I think the rule is nice for my taste, cause it is one of the main reason to fear a small and weak Gremlin... cause it can steal you so much value! devil

BUT as usual, please bend and change the game rules to fit your taste!
Unless you completely rewrite the rules, making few changes will not affect the gameplay and may increase your personal experience.

regarding how to randomise the coin selection, there are tons of ways, more or less complicated, so I leave it to you

That's all good, but considering how many comments there have been about it, many of us struggle with it, sure there are many ways of random selection, but there needs to be something that's quick and doesn't distrupt the game play. Especially if somebody collects a lot of coins. You should have included some method to do it in the game, the same asa with other random elements in the game, which are defined by the rules. The banknotes idea will not work in many countries where different banknote have different sizes. Maybe a little spinner? Something to think about in the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
borsook wrote:
Maybe a little spinner? Something to think about in the expansions?

If you reprinted the coins in all the same size: no more problem. Might be cheaper than building a spinner or working out some other fix.

yeah, good call. And we would have spare coins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.