Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
This Might Be Offensive
badge
As does everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Caveats:

1. They have to be bought brand new from a retailer and available for purchase, not preorder. Ignore shipping costs.
2. Afterwards, you're never allowed to purchase games again! cry
3. Print & Play doesn't exist in this cruel world. gulp
4. #2 sucks, so all expansions come with the game(s) you purchase for free.
5. You can't choose a CCG.

Choose wisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy Catan and Carcassonne. I get all the expansions for free. I sell everything. I buy more Catan and Carcassonne. I get all the expansions for free. I sell everything. Repeat until I can buy my current collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$100? From new?

So 2 games then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I suppose Combat Commander: Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't do it - I cannot replace the Sierra Madre Games titles that I would want to for under $100. That leaves me in a pickle with no High Frontier, no Bios Megafauna 1e, no Origins How We Became Human, and so on... so I think I'd just have to focus on becoming President of the United States and starting an all-out nuclear war to end human life on this planet. Yeah, I need those games that badly.

Okay, so going by the rules, what would I have to get? I'd buy:

Pandemic - $22 with Amazon Prime plus all expansions? What a deal! My wife's #1 game, and we already agreed if we had a disaster that left us homeless and in a hotel that we would go to our FLGS and buy this and its expansions. She loves that game, it is truly a BGG 10 for her (I can set it up when she is between two 20 hour shifts with only 2 hours to sleep, and she will play it... so I don't do cruel things like that ever; but if a really need to play a board game, she will never refuse to play this one). Not going to be happy over losing my 1e components... I might have to get Pandemic Iberia instead!

Hero System RPG + Index Card RPG($30 + $16.50 = $46.50 in pdf form) or GURPS Characters & Campaigns ($54.50)... but since I can never get another game and I get all the expansion books, then this will cover me. Okay, fine, haven't tried it yet but just ICRPG for $16.50 since you'll probably categorize RPGs (especially generic universal ones) in the same category as CCGs. With ICRPG I'd have no problem making up my own content, but I haven't actually played it yet and I might not like it. Still, only $16.50 - so I'm at $38.50.

Leaving Earth - direct from manufacturer, $44.95 (now at $83.45). With technically 3 expansions now (Stations has been released and is currently shipping, so I'm going to say that isn't a preorder anymore - base has the first mini expansion... this will have to tide me over with this until I nuke the world).

Brass Android App, $6.99 (now at $93.44) - yeah, I'm cheating now, but I can put my tablet on the table top. Also, its a true-to-the-tabletop-game adaptation.

San Juan Android App, $4.99 (now at $98.43) - still going to cheat... what choice do I have. You're talking about going from 300-ish games down to 2 or 3 games for the REST OF MY LIFE. That's insanely impossible... I've lost all my war games (COIN, Great Battles of History, Men or Iron, and other series)... I've lost all my cooperative games (Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Castle Panic, Star Trek Panic, The Lost Expedition, Legonds of Andor, Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Fortune and Glory, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror, both editions of Mansions of Madness, Shadows of Malice, and so many more), my impossible to replace collectable games (Babylon 5 Component Game System with all expansions, all my early and recent Sierra Madre Games, 7 Ages, collectors editions that cost triple the budget given, and so on), all my pnp files and board game scans (for just such an emergency), all my competitive games (Viticulture, Brass, Arkadia, Castles of Burgundy, Ora et Labora, Caverna, Agricola, Roads & Boats, and so on), and all my collectors editions (Dungeon Lords, Tokaido, Takenoko, Anniversary edition War of the Ring, fully painted Defenders of the Realm stuff, Twilight Struggle, and so on).

Yeah, I don't like this game any more. It is impossible to trim my game collection to $100... guess I should just spend the $100 on something to kill myself with... unless... wait... A-ha! A loophole - I'll have my wife buy the rest! Yay! I'm saved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With that budget I would go for:

Eight-Minute Empire: Legends

Pandemic (here I assume as you said all expansions for free - otherwise it would be Pandemic: Iberia)

Viticulture Essential Edition (and with free Tuscany Essential Edition this seems like a no brainer - and again if you would say without expansions than it becmoes a bit harder and I would think about Istanbul, but in the end I still think Viticulture has a more variety (you never know which visitors you'll have access to and they can change your strategy a lot) and it is a really good solo game as well)

I'm pretty sure these 3 fit in the budget meeple

EDIT: I just noticed how expensive Eight-minutes empire: legends is on amazon surprise, I got it somewhere between 20 and 25$ (I can't remmeber for sure anymore).
It is out of stock at coolstuff, but was 21$. And to clarify I also used the 43$ price for Viticulture EE from coolstuff as well when I calculated the combined price for this (roughly: 22 + 43 + 34 = 99)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowest prices on boardgameprices.com
Orléans $39
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure $35
The Castles of Burgundy $24
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I could overcome that. I'd probably take the saddest option.

If I don't then I'll get, with all expansions, Aeon's End and Sentinels of the Multiverse. That's actually a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
One or two RPG corebooks (maybe an FFG Star Wars starter), Carcassonne, a Decision Games Folio or Mini (depending on other price points), and if money permits Sushi Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously Agricola. It's the clear answer for any serious collector of board games. By FAR, without even question, the most well designed board game in history. Nothing even comes close. I do not even enjoy playing the game, but that is irrelevant. Out of respect to the stunning design, I will happily pay $100 for it, and display it on the top shelf of my room with pride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I'd buy:

Hive Pocket (19.99 on amazon)
Pandemic: The Cure (29.99 on amazon)
BANG! The Dice Game (17.99 on amazon)
Ticket to Ride: Europe (30.99 on amazon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne White
msg tools
mb
Eldritch Horror and Fate of the Elder Gods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, firstly, in such a tragic situation ... I would buy myself a half gallon of ice cream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JRobYo wrote:

2. Afterwards, you're never allowed to purchase games again! cry

I will just kill myself now and not bother.

I am kidding, sort of. I would just find a new hobby if i am forced to live in this nightmare hellscape of only owning 2 games. I guess i woukd finally see what the big deal is about this thing called "sports."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ouch, yeah, with those rules I wouldn't be in the hobby.
Probably carcassonne and twilight struggle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
I buy Catan and Carcassonne. I get all the expansions for free. I sell everything. I buy more Catan and Carcassonne. I get all the expansions for free. I sell everything. Repeat until I can buy my current collection.

hence rule #2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy,
Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm,
Race for the Galaxy: Xeno Invasion,
Chicago Express

Or then just The Great Zimbabwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy choice = Nuclear War

Although, I am fairly certain I would not be able to find replacements for the booster cards. I can't remember the last time I saw a complete set up for sale (or even a box of unopened boosters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll for me it would be A Touch of Evil. My wife was kind enough to rework the map for us and 'trim the fat' to a lean mean 2/3 size gameboard....so, less wasted walking space. It quickly turned from 'I love and hate this game' to 'lets play it 5 months strait'.

And I know I would...when my car got stolen earlier this year my 'The Coast' board was in the car. Even though I wasnt' even using the board anymore I just couldn't get that loss out of my head. I would replace this...espeically if i got the expansions with it.

The other would be Ticket to Ride. We play that alot in my house...my mothers favorite game. Only Pandemic Legacy has rivaled it...and im still trying to figure out how. I would never have pegged her for the Pandemic type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy part of a copy of Roads & Boats, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly do I lose something that big?

Pete (evades the question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since you have not specified the price to be paid, I will assume I can get the games that I originally purchased them for.

Memoir '44: Perhaps not the best wargame, but easily the most playable. Huge amount of content, easily taught.

Star Trek: Frontiers: A slightly lighter version of Mage Knight, offers a nice, puzzle experience and a variety of game modes.

Istanbul: Quick worker placement that just misses being a light game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.