23 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Box sucks, so how do I protect the figurines? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olof Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
First of all, I love this game. It has brought a lot of joy to myself and my friends in a relative short time span.

But as I packed and unpacked the game I came to realize just how much that the box the game came in SUCKS, it is basically just one big empty box. There are no structured slots, foaming or anything to stop your cards from rummaging all over the place, damaging themselves if the box would be shaken etcetera.

But worst is that the figurines are completely unprotected,they are completely at the mercy of chance as they just piled onto each other, this way the details on them WILL break in just a matter of time (Not to mention some figurines were misshapen at arrival already).

I just expected better considering the price for this game (Or at least make figurines out of metal or something).

So my question is: How can I protect the figurines, without forcing myself to run around with 1-3 extra boxes? I would gladly hear your suggestions.

Thank you for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Build an insert with foam core and a glue gun (and using a steel ruler, cutting surface and a box cutter knife).

It's not that hard - MoM was my 1st insert and, while not always the prettiest, it's a fine job.

I'd maybe post pictures of it but it may not be any use to you since I did inserts for not just the 2e core but for all the available 2e content (including the 1e minis/re-release) and so used both the 2e main box and the 1e main box. I mixed the 1e/2e content between the 2 boxes, so I've not got a nice '2e core only' box.

Note - if you do do this:
* Look at some tips for cutting foam core (do it in 3 passes, 1 for each layer, or it can blunt your blade very quickly)
* Remember to make your plan using the inner dimensions of the bottom of the box, and allow for the width of the foam core you use!

Past that, designing your own multilevel insert is quite easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded this from the file section
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137982/mom-2e-foam-co...

it came out pretty good even if I say so myself I added in some additional foam core to segregate the minis as far as I can recall.

this is the bottom part where the figures are stored.By the way I rebased mine minis do I don't know if they will fit with the original bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
By the way I rebased mine minis do I don't know if they will fit with the original bases.

Ah - I forgot this.

I also rebased them on clear acrylic discs - makes them a lot nicer, smaller to store and lets you see the nice board artwork better. I'd recommend it to anyone with a little time.

I don't know where it is, but sure someone posted images (maybe even plans) of an insert they'd made for the minis when using the big, black, ugly, hideous, plastic abominations that came with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy an adjustable hardware box at a hardware store and put figures in that when there's no insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the original boxes - although I don't carry the game around and I store them horizontal of course (also, I adopted an empty Eldritch Horror box to fit all the monsters in):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
By the way I rebased mine minis do I don't know if they will fit with the original bases."

The clear acrylic bases look great, but don't you still have to hunt down the monster token to reference the awareness, horror, and brawn values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Darkangeldown wrote:
By the way I rebased mine minis do I don't know if they will fit with the original bases."

The clear acrylic bases look great, but don't you still have to hunt down the monster token to reference the awareness, horror, and brawn values?

You can do that but it's easier to just print off one of the reference sheets in the file section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Larsson
Sweden
Kiruna
flag msg tools
Black Stars Rise
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Darkangeldown wrote:

Here's the reference sheet I'm using.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/148639/monster-reference-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cards and tokens can be protected by just putting them in plastic bags. It is not a lot of hassle and nothing bad will happen to them.

Plastic figurines - first of all they are quite underwhelming at best. Second, they are actually pretty resistant to damage due too use of soft plastic. I keep all of mine piled together in one bag, nothing bad happen to them after numerous plays and transportation in the box.

SO I wouldn't worry about protection. Creating any sophisticated storage solution is my opinion just unnecessary waste of time and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Cards and tokens can be protected by just putting them in plastic bags. It is not a lot of hassle and nothing bad will happen to them.

Plastic figurines - first of all they are quite underwhelming at best. Second, they are actually pretty resistant to damage due too use of soft plastic. I keep all of mine piled together in one bag, nothing bad happen to them after numerous plays and transportation in the box.

SO I wouldn't worry about protection. Creating any sophisticated storage solution is my opinion just unnecessary waste of time and money.

I assume you haven't painted your minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:

[snip]

Do it right and it can help speed up setup and finding the required mini - not such an issue with just the 2e core, but increasingly difficult as more minis are thrown into bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I protected them by putting them in a bag in the attic and using the tokens instead. Much better for actually playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I use the original boxes - although I don't carry the game around and I store them horizontal of course (also, I adopted an empty Eldritch Horror box to fit all the monsters in):

I love this solution! I just recently got the base game, SM, RN, and BtT expansion and this worked perfectly for me too! I'm glad I still had that "Dreamlands" box still in the closet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Fantastic, did you adjust the template to accomondate your custom figurine bases? If not, should standard work fine with it?

I also have 1 random question, as I was browsing materials I've noticed some use Acid and some don't. Will Acid damage the figurines?

And to everyone who responded do this thread, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darkangeldown wrote:
I downloaded this from the file section
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137982/mom-2e-foam-co...

it came out pretty good even if I say so myself I added in some additional foam core to segregate the minis as far as I can recall.

this is the bottom part where the figures are stored.By the way I rebased mine minis do I don't know if they will fit with the original bases.

Does the box close properly with the insert you mentioned? Does it fit the Beyond the Threshold expansion too ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all my Arkham miniatures in a separate box. Since these miniatures can be used in multiple Arkham games, I figured that made the most sense; just bring the box of miniatures for any Arkham game you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. IIRC the box closes fine though I tend to leave the rules out of the box. Yep BtT fits fine in there. It only adds 6 minis and a few tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gregg
Australia
Lenah Valley
Tas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both tile sets and the 1st expansion, and I've made foam core inserts for all 4 boxes to store the tiles and figures and pieces in.

The Beyond the Threshold expansion box has the investigator minis, cards and all tokens and dice. The token tray is removable to sit besides the game during play.

One of the tile boxes has all the tiles in it with foamcore insert to make it sturdy, and organise the tiles.

The other tile box has the 6 big monster minis in it (not overly efficient this one) once again with foamcore insert.

The main box has 3 layers with all the small and medium minis, and the cards. It is higer than the actual box by quite some margin, so the lid rests on the top layer. But this is fine for me.

It has enough space to accomodate at least the next expansion (looking at the mini sizes in the photos) and probably at least one more. Although I guess they will come in boxes, but likely smaller boxes like Beyond the Threshold.

I should take some better pics of it at some point:

In progress shot (with only some investigators and minis in, the ones that had been painted):

In this stack you can see the base box (on the bottom) is higher than normal due to the lifted lid:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olof Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Odgregg wrote:
I have both tile sets and the 1st expansion, and I've made foam core inserts for all 4 boxes to store the tiles and figures and pieces in.

The Beyond the Threshold expansion box has the investigator minis, cards and all tokens and dice. The token tray is removable to sit besides the game during play.

One of the tile boxes has all the tiles in it with foamcore insert to make it sturdy, and organise the tiles.

The other tile box has the 6 big monster minis in it (not overly efficient this one) once again with foamcore insert.

The main box has 3 layers with all the small and medium minis, and the cards. It is higer than the actual box by quite some margin, so the lid rests on the top layer. But this is fine for me.

It has enough space to accomodate at least the next expansion (looking at the mini sizes in the photos) and probably at least one more. Although I guess they will come in boxes, but likely smaller boxes like Beyond the Threshold.

I should take some better pics of it at some point:

In progress shot (with only some investigators and minis in, the ones that had been painted):

In this stack you can see the base box (on the bottom) is higher than normal due to the lifted lid:

Have you had any problems with the foam core changing shape over time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Denham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got the second edition today. I combined in my first edition pieces and realised there wasn't going to be room to fit all the models in any sensible arrangement.

I went to a hobby store (Hobbycraft in the UK) at lunch and got a cheap wooden box for £8.00. I cut up the insert that came with the 2e box to make a little shelf and put all but the star spawn into the new box, including the converted 1e models. Works pretty well.

I also knocked up a design and printed it on greasproof paper, then used a credit card to transfer it to the box, I think it looks neat but not sure how I will protect it!

Happy to share the design with anybody who wants it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gregg
Australia
Lenah Valley
Tas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitheps wrote:
Have you had any problems with the foam core changing shape over time?

Never had that problem with foam core (so far).

I might unpack it all and take some better photos today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darek C
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you have a way to store MoM:2nd Edition + Beyond the Threshold expansion?

I would like to both help protect the minis and just have a way to more effectively set up the game + lookup cards etc.

Help please !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.