Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm involved with the development of the 7 Wonders interactive tutorial on the Dized app and its accompanying rules lookup tool. It functions as an “at a glance” response to those instant rules wobbles you may encounter during a game night when you don’t need the full tutorial.

Yes,we have the eyes and ears of the publishers to ensure that we cover all the minutia of the rules, as well as the dedicated in-house game gurus to double and triple check our homework. But we're also aware that this community has several lifetimes worth of game playing experience that we couldn't hope to ever compete with. If there is an area of the internet that will have discovered each and every rule misstep for a game there could ever have been,it's here.

So I'm posting this in the hope that we can begin a lively and informed discussion on teaching 7 Wonders, and a chance for you - the players - to make sure that we don't miss anything.

So that you can better understand our process, we break down the most current rules available for every title into a database,cross-referencing each and every rule and keyword to its partners, creating an exhaustive catalogue of knowledge for each game. We use this as the basis for how we interrogate the system to create both the tutorials and rule lookup. Then we mix in some good old-fashioned board game knowledge from our staff of professional developers and publishers I mentioned and voila! a game tutorial*.

Now here's where you brainiacs come in. We also include questions and answers that new players may well ask, and we'd really value your involvement.

So what are the most asked questions you've encountered when teaching or playing 7 Wonders? With these, we can make sure that we don't miss anything and this information will better help make the tutorials more responsive and intuitive for new and existing players.

*There is also some clever programming stuff that happens with our team of dedicated developers, animators, artists and musicians that helps make the magic happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbers of Guilds for number of players?
Points for Science cards?
Halikarnassos: Which cards do I choose from?
Trade cards: Money now, points later?
Card: "Money for x cards my neighbors/I have": Do cards count that were added this round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Frank
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The most common questions I've encountered:
How do you spend resources to buy structures?
How do you buy resources from your neighbors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to pay for the card you use to build your wonder?
Can I build more than one of the same structure?

Also, looking at the titles of the questions in the rules forum will also generate a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Card: "Money for x cards my neighbors/I have": Do cards count that were added this round?

The science points totalling has given me some more grey hairs. And yes the card's added that round was also a sneaky one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickfrank wrote:
The most common questions I've encountered:
How do you spend resources to buy structures?
How do you buy resources from your neighbors?

I found that there was a lot of resource coverage, as there is so many of them and breaking down what is a resource or a trade good as well. TY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Do you have to pay for the card you use to build your wonder?
Can I build more than one of the same structure?

Also, looking at the titles of the questions in the rules forum will also generate a lot.

Yes I've been scouring the forums since day one and note taking. And I've been using the kids as guinea pigs, I think they'll sick of playing it now.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do building chains work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a good question. Current thinking is that when building a structure it will then prompt you to check for chains. As they only become available in Age 2 and 3 then as the tutorial is running you through the initial rules it will cover the chain rule in example and during Age 2 go deeper into that. I've been writing the rule lookup for them so it'll be in there, but it is one of those situations that requires some fine-tuning for it to work in the context of being taught and when to prompt it.

I've been doing some fairly intensive teaching of 7 Wonders with players in local cafes to try and fine tune when the best point is to introduce the rule while not being an information overload but also relaying an important bit of information that can be an advantage in those later Ages.

So yes, we're working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "snap a smartphone picture of a card" and boom! There's the explanation of its uses, links to its place in the build chains, and maybe tips for it?

Suddenly everyone at the table can look up there cards on their own and no one has to wait for help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
How about "snap a smartphone picture of a card" and boom! There's the explanation of its uses, links to its place in the build chains, and maybe tips for it?

Suddenly everyone at the table can look up there cards on their own and no one has to wait for help!

The augmented reality app for 7 Wonders already does some of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
mibar01 wrote:
Wolfram wrote:

The science points totalling has given me some more grey hairs. And yes the card's added that round was also a sneaky one.

IIRC there's a table in the files section for easy reference the science points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:

I don't know if that's something that's been contemplated, but personally I love that. That is certainly going on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.