25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best games for 7 years old (2-3 players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
V V
msg tools
Hello,

Need to find boardgame for the kid (boy. 7 years old). It will be his first game and I like to make a good impression for the future that boardgames are awesome). Best option is game for 2-3 persons. What do you recommend?
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does he like? Has he seen another of your games and if so which is he interested in?

A few suggestions which might work, my children (7 & 9) have played all these:

Hey, That's My Fish! or Battle Sheep 2-4p quick abstract strategy type games.

Forbidden Island - 2-4p co-op

Carcassonne 2-5p tile laying game.

Most other things I play with my children are 2p (Connect Four, Pentago, Hive Pocket, Star Realms, Kalah).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is great storytelling co-op fun, with high heroics and lovely miniatures. Also I'd second Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V V
msg tools
Thats a boy that I didnt know well. I think that he knows only usual games like chess, monopoly etc. So Id like to introduce him with a world of board games with interesting design, setting, mechanics. I think that carcassonne would be to compicated for him. He just had a 7 birthday. I had to options:
1. Outfoxed. But may be it is too simple?
2. Ghost fightin treasure hunters

But your advice about Forbidden Island looks very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V V
msg tools
About Mice and Mystics. Unfortunately, we have not this game in shops. Only for order, so I have not enough time to buy it this time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mine loves the following games

Splendor
Street Kings
Ugah Ugah!
Adventure Land

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
I strongly dislike te usual Carcassonne and Catan suggestions because for me they are too flavourless.

I would suggest Ticket to Ride or the wholes Tales and Games Collection. Sure it's based on fairytales, but there are very cool mechanics on them and they are all different.

I also like playing Rhino Hero with my family.

Another person also suggested Star Realms. I actually played Hero Realms with my 6yo, but left out most of the text on the cards (leaving only symbols and numbers and the occasional mention to discard or trash because we are portuguese and he barely reads portuguese much less english lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old has played (and wants to replay)

Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic
Potion Explosion
Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Conan!... yeah, really! I play it with my six year old and the whole mechanic of using gems as actions makes so much sense to him and makes every move and action easy to visualise and plan - definitely his favourite game. But if the theme is a problem then my six year old also understands and enjoys K2, Black Fleet, Formula D, Flash point fire rescue, Dice forge (once he learnt what all the cards mean) and Splendor, or if you want really really easy games then Castles of Caladale is fun as is patchwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 7 and she loves King of Tokyo. She also likes Forbidden Island, Forbiden Desert and Flash Point Fire Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Troth
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My only just turned 8 year old is currently really enjoying Bärenpark and Raptor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Karuba and Ice Cool went down well with my kids..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Outfoxed is a great game. My daughter actually used her own money at age 7 to buy it for herself and loved it. It may not have staying power in a couple years, but it is great for age 7. She also likes to play it solo.

Age 7 is great for more complex games to, and especially good for the classics. Stratego is awesome for a 7-8 year old. My daughter also enjoys Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence, Sequence for Kids, Sorry!, or UNO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my youngest son was just a tiny bit older than that, his favorites were:

King of Tokyo
Castle Panic
Love Letter
Hey, That's My Fish!
Apples to Apples
Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my friend's 7yo kid. He really enjoys Small World and Forbidden Island. He liked Imhotep as well for being able to build things, but didn't really get the strategy involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drachenturm

...or any other game with an awesome table presence. What ever you choose, make sure it looks amazing on the table. For a kid that's going to be as important as how fun it is to play.

(Same goes for many adults, too. )

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our gateway game for the kids was Qwirkle - a bit long gameplay, but easy to understand and visually appealing in a simple way. We got that when our now 7-year old was probably 4 - he played on a team for the first few years but now holds his own. He loves Dixit (though the rest of us can take it or leave it), Pit, Bang, Sushi Go and King of Tokyo. Another really good one is Labyrinth - we let him try for two cards at once because he sometimes gets frustrated he can't make his mark. But the wizards theme is good for a boy of that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My recommendation would be a co-op with a theme that most grabs him. Best to avoid competitive games at first, and most co-ops tend to scale well with any number of players, since you can always just control more pawns.

Good choices that have been very successful with myself (my son is now 11) and my friend (his son is 7):
Castle Panic
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Forbidden Desert
Mice and Mystics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stafford
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played King of Tokyo with some 8 year olds at camp and they loved it. Once I walked them through a couple of turns, they were playing and making decisions all on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 5 kids of varying ages and have good success with these as starter games:

Castle Panic
Outfoxed
Forbidden Island (if they can handle the tension)
Dragonwood (I make it co-op and we're not fighting, we're trying to recruit the denizens of the forest - a la pokemon)

I make almost all games co-op for my young kids. Mainly because they simply don't want to go against me. They don't want me to lose and vice versa, they don't find it fun and neither do I. But that's us....many families are different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention Animal Upon Animal and Gigamons. Both good games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Majors
United States
Prattville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old daughter loves Three Little Pigs. But King of Tokyo may be better for a boy. And we all enjoy Outfoxed. Even my 10 year old daughter still wants to play it. Pickomino has been a surprise hit with both of my girls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
My son also loves King of Tokyo, but it really needs 4-6 players to shine. 3 is pretty boring, 2 is barely playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Robinson
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My youngest just turned 7, too, and his favourite games are love letter (adventure time version), carcassone, sushi go party, takenoko, drakon and catan junior.

For 2-3 players I'd recommend carcassone from that list. Start without farmers and add them if things go well. Love letter is good at 3 too. Takenoko and drakon would be good second steps at 3 players.

7 is a great age - don't underestimate how much they'll enjoy just playing with you and doing what you are doing. My boy is into planets so really likes mission: red planet, too (but don't start there!). That said, is your 3rd player another adult? That helps with heavier games - I never try to play anything complex with more than 1 kid at a time.

I think it is a big mistake to introduce games to kids that you don't enjoy yourself - you really want games that appeal at the simple level and at your level - that's why I'd never recommend catan junior to you as it's much too simple for an adult to enjoy more than twice.

Another approach is to introduce boardgames via their apps - for instance my 7yo loves playing Tsuro with me in pass and play mode. It's a lot cheaper way of figuring out what he might be into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.