Widower's Wood: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Hey Folks,

I've been searching around for some reviews of this game, but there's not a whole lot out there. Wonder why that is. I thought I'd put up this post to find out what people's experiences have been so far with the game. Like or dislike, smooth rules or fiddly play, that sort of thing.

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game. Very similar to the undercity. It is a good coop almost RPG lite game. Not a true dungeon crawl as the there is no tile reveal. I might write up a true review after I finish the last mission tonight.

Pros:
Love the progression of characters between rounds chapters.
Unpredictable and satisfying AI deck for the villains (no DM needed)
Chapters are varied in goals to make each one have a unique flavor
Characters are interesting and varied, though you need the KS exclusives or the character expansion UC Black water irregulars to give you more variety.
I really enjoy the coop and the constant feeling that you need to get stuff done or eliminate villains. A good amount of pressure
Good enough rules
I like the minis, and games with minis in general

Cons:
Sometimes rules issues can arise that are not fully covered/explained
Easy to miss some nuanced rules
LOTS OF DICE (could be a pro to some) both a roll to hit, then a roll to damage.
Setup and playthrough can be time consuming. set at least 15-20 minutes and playthrough can be between 2-5 hours depending on how much AP you and your party suffer from.
Board design/art could be better.
Some character balance, some are definitely better than others.

Overall I recommend this game, but in might not be to all gamers tastes. The rules for combat are heavily based on the iron kingdom's RPG as are the character stats, some (stats) are barely used in the campaign. Could be a primer for the real RPG, but I think it stands well on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll try to keep this somewhat organized, but I'm sure it'll be a little all over the place.

Gotta start by saying this game and Undercity are by far our groups' favorite games to play. That says a lot to me. I kickstarted this one, went for the big chest, and haven't regretted it at all.

As for the game, here are my basic pro/con lists.

Pros:
Wide variety of characters/styles, especially if you pick up Undercity and the Black River Irregular expansion.
Great character skill progression system. You can essentially have different builds for the same character going thru the campaign.
Game controlled enemy AI that are very unpredictable. I like the spawning system.
Gorgeous models, cards, art, and tokens.
Good variety of mission types to keep it from getting stale.
Free official downloadable campaigns to extend the longevity of the game.
Complex games with lots of nuances and interactions.

Cons:
Complex game with lots of nuances and interactions. You will make mistakes thru the majority of the game unless you memorize the book.
Rulebook is well written but some rules are scattered throughout the book and other things are completely unclear. Why is a magic ranged attack considered a spell and why isn't that stated anywhere in the book?
Lack of creator support when it comes to answering questions about things unclear in the book.
Games can seriously drag on depending on the mission or group. We had one last 4 hours and weren't really goofing off much.
Equipment system is pretty lacking. Side quests are more of a nuisance than anything and counterproductive to finishing the mission objectives.
The extra pieces in the kickstarter are severely underutilized in the game. You can switch them out, but it'sup to you to figure out how to do it and try not to break the game.

Despite the cons, this is our go-to game and the game that we compare all others to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I KSed this game, but haven't actually gotten it out of the box yet. Though my group did play The Undercity, which is the exact same ruleset. My experience with that game wasn't as great... my group and I put this pretty close to the bottom of this genre of games (full co-op campaign dungeon crawler), mainly for two reasons:

1) The game actually rewards drawing out the chapters unnecessarily... you can easily spend round after round killing spawned enemies for XP and then finally take on the chapter objectives in the last few rounds. This makes the game either brutally difficult (because you're finishing chapters quickly and giving up XP that could be used for new skills) or brutally long as chapters can take 3-4 hours easily if you're drawing the game out to the last round.

2) Combat just isn't as smooth as other similar games. I know this isn't everyone's preference, but I just like custom dice w/ symbols for combat. And having to roll D6s twice, once for accuracy, and if successful, another time for damage (which still doesn't determine how much damage, just if you damage for 1 HP or not) just doesn't feel fluid to me, more just doing a lot of math, and very disappointing if you keep rolling successes for accuracy, but then keep missing the damage roll... feels like a waste of time.

There's more on my Geeklist review here: Bohde's Dungeon Crawler Reviews - Co-op Campaign

Overall, I'm in the process of selling both Undercity and WW just because this won't hit my group's table anytime soon with so many other similar games we prefer...

EDIT: Just found a thread on here for a variant that might fix #1 above, and actually might work pretty well. WW Game Length Fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice of people to reply. I'm on the fence about getting this and as the OP said, there really isn't much out there about the game.
Anyone else tried the game during the last few months and care to share their experience? Has anyone actually played through the entire campaign? Anyone done it solo? Anyone play the whole thing using the KS bonus missions and characters and or enemies?

Would be cool to hear a bit more about it.
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.