Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MAX VIGNE
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get thoughts from more experienced players on what I'm doing with the exploration tokens, particularly if you think it can brak the game. I primarily play solo, so I'd be more interested in your thoughts in that type of game.

So I've taken all the expansion tokens, and added two of the 1000's and two of the fp tokens, as well as four of the x tokens. The only additional rule is that the x tokens cannot be used to trade in a pair for fp/2000, they are immediately discarded.

Thanks in advance for your considered insights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played Xia a lot and the old explorer tokens are no longer going to be used. I have not thrown them away but they were too unbalancing. I would think that this applies to playing solo as well.

The "X" and "FP" tokens were the main culprits as the risk/reward payout could be grossly unfair (as I posted in my review of the base game a couple years back). Too binary

The 1,000 credits was not so much but what is the theme behind it? You just found 1,000 credits floating in space, laying on an asteroid etc? Again coupled with the "X" tokens ...

So to your question ... would it break the game. No, but it would make the game more swingy and increase the luck factor of collecting them. You are a bigger man than me adding in 4 "X" tokens.

It was a good decision to dump the original ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
We added the original tokens back into the game with the expansion ones and it seems to work fine. The only thing I did was:

- Only included the same number of the old tokens as each of the new ones (so, I think, 5 of each).

- Played so that if you find a FP token it is immediately discarded (maybe this is what you meant above instead of the X tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Max, my thoughts on the solo game: it wouldn't egregiously break anything by adding in those 8 tokens, but it would somewhat dilute the pool of new stuff, which could have some slightly unintended consequences.

For example, there are a good number of cargo cubes in the new explore tokens. One of the Scoundrel behaviors will target ships that have cargo. So sometimes you get an explore token and find some cargo, and then you need to either sell it quickly, jettison it (and give the NPCs +2 to their roll), or keep it and hope the Scoundrel can't reach you or hurt you.

That's just one example of a minor impact it might have. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I personally find the game most fun with the newest tokens!

Of course, the great thing about Xia is that you can easily mod it to maximize your fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the base game, we let players keep the X exploration tokens and spend them later to re-roll a die. (I believe others on here had mentioned doing the same.) With the expansion, I have kept those, just because I love the decision of when to use the re-roll.

If you kept the X exploration tokens as "no discovery", they should still be worth the 2-for-1 FP trade-in unless you want to increase the difficulty. Even the ice damage token is worth that, so that it isn't all bad. With four Xs in your mix, you are potentially taking up to 2 FP out of the game.

The 1000 Cr tokens would be fine, but they are not as thematic or interesting as finding some cargo. (How is "finding a re-roll" thematic? Simple hypocrisy.) I like that you now have to deal with the cargo. Or jettison it for others to consider. The 1 FP tokens are too much, and have been nicely balanced by the two-for-one FP expansion rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
My sense is that the FP tokens are the issue - I sort of like the previous poster's idea FP and X tokens = one reroll, if you are going to mix them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use any of the old Exploration token, except the Fp tokens. I've printed off stickers so that both sides of the token have the Fp image (covered the question mark). I now use these as Fp markers.

They are useful because a player may gain a fame point at the beginning of his turn, but Fp's are only turned in during the status phase. It's just a useful marker so the player doesn't forget to add that Fp at the end of their turn.

Fp tokens are also useful for places like Tigris Gate. Place a Fp token on the gate when it first appears. Whoever gets to use the gate fisrt simply picks up the token. This also helps as a reminder, for later in the game, that everyone can see that the token is removed from Tigris Gate thus would not need to ask or remember if the Fp has been claimed.

EDIT: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.