Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are Minor Country units handled? Are they on the board from the beginning? Or do they have to be built from the start using their NAFRs? Or are they on board from the start, and can be rebuilt when eliminated?

And when a Minor County becomes a satellite, does that allow the controlling Major Power to move the satellite's units out of the Minor Country and fight outwith the Minor Country's border?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
cillmhor wrote:
How are Minor Country units handled? Are they on the board from the beginning? Or do they have to be built from the start using their NAFRs? Or are they on board from the start, and can be rebuilt when eliminated?

And when a Minor County becomes a satellite, does that allow the controlling Major Power to move the satellite's units out of the Minor Country and fight outwith the Minor Country's border?

Hi Alasdair,

In order:

1) You can place them on board from the outset (I always do), but as a practical matter you can wait until they enter the game (like say Romania) or until they are attacked (as if say one player invades Turkey - some players feel you might as well wait until they're invaded to set up the Turks as they're usually not invaded by anyone).

2) all minor country units appear initially at zero cost - generally they are already built; they are rebuilt with their own NARFs;

3) yes, in general, satellite units can operate outside their home country, provided it's okay under the various national rules in Section 23 - for example, Bulgarian units are restricted to Greece, Romania, Turkey and Yugoslavia under 23.10.

hope this helps,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect Ernie,

Thanks for that. I'm playing a solo full campaign, and the Allies used all their POPs to bring Sweden over as a satellite, so I was wondering if the Swedes could be used to combat any Axis moves in Norway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
cillmhor wrote:
Perfect Ernie,

Thanks for that. I'm playing a solo full campaign, and the Allies used all their POPs to bring Sweden over as a satellite, so I was wondering if the Swedes could be used to combat any Axis moves in Norway.

Hi Alasdair - Good! Remember that under 16.1.1, you can't assign more than half (rounded up) or a major powers' POPs to any one diplomatic target in any Spring/Fall turn.

But if Sweden has become a Satellite, its controlling major power can indeed operate Swedish units outside their home country, subject to the limits described in 23.50.

Good gaming to you,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ernie,

I had the feeling I'd missed some rule regarding the maximum number of POPs which could be deployed!

Okay, Sweden in only an Associate (the Allies rolled a '0'). So time for the Axis to sway them back in the Spring 1940. I though it was a bit too easy...

Alasdair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
cillmhor wrote:
Thanks Ernie,

I had the feeling I'd missed some rule regarding the maximum number of POPs which could be deployed!

Okay, Sweden in only an Associate (the Allies rolled a '0'). So time for the Axis to sway them back in the Spring 1940. I though it was a bit too easy...

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair,

One thing you might want to remember playing either side is that Sweden is a tempting (and worthwhile) target for both sides. One POP placed in Sweden while it is still neutral is a common defensive tactic.

Good gaming to you,

ernie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.