United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

*** UPDATE *** NEW PnP FILES NOW AVAILABLE *** LINKS BELOW ***

*** UPDATE *** NEW PnP FILES NOW AVAILABLE *** LINKS BELOW ***

Thought I'd update the original thread for MINTY'S FOOTBALL GAME (which suggested the rules were still not available).

This 2-player game takes approx. 15-25 mins, has been playtested several times within my own games groups (to loud and lively approval), and here's hoping more of you will try it out and enjoy a match or two...

The whole game is included in a single Print'n'Play PDF file (incl. the rules), and you can download it using this link (it's FREE): Minty's Football Game P'n'P

Do please give it a go and let me know how you get on. And of course, if you like it, please vote for it in the 2017 Mint Tin Design Competition too!

Here are several photos of the game and its components - I've used 100gsm card for this version to ensure it fits comfortably in a Mint Tin, but 120-130gsm card is recommended.

[120gsm should just about fit in the tin, too, if that's important to you!]

Play the Big Match in a Tiny Tin, TODAY!

Click here to download the PDF file:

Minty's Football Game

Feedback welcome. And thanks for your time!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - Minty's Bootiful Football Game - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - [Playtest Components Ready excl. Rules]
Oops - forgot to add pic to show it all fits in a mint tin:

You'll note that here I've included six 10-sided dice in the tin:

Blue and Red to keep track of the score of each team,
Black to use and move along the Time Tracker strip,
Orange to represent the area where the ball is currently being contested,
and Green and White to represent D100 (Green = 10s, White = 1s).

Hope you have as much fun playing/testing as we've already had!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - Minty's Bootiful Football Game - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - [Playtest Components Ready excl. Rules]
mangozine wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make sure the images display as large, but if you click on them you should be able to zoom in and see more detail and the captions...

Simply add the word medium inside the brackets after the image number.

You get this:

I find that's usually big enough, but type in large and you get this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Thank you sooo much - that helps a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Hi Alex,
you have chosen a complex task with football. I tried something similar in the past, but I never managed to get something funny out of my efforts.
I want to share I couple of ideas I had, maybe you find them useful.

Time management: at the beginning of every turn trow a six faced dice. The obtained results indicates how many minutes you have to move the clock forward. This makes the game more realistic and adds some tactical depth: is the game going to last a lot of time (lots of ones) or is it going to go fast (lots of six)? Plan the use of your resources accordingly.

Fouls/dirty game: defender may opt to try to stop the action playing dirt (tactical foul). His chances to stop the attacker side gets higher, but he may commit a foul (trow dice, consequences if dice fail: higher chance for the attacker to score a free kick). Defender can also get a red card and be obliged to play with only 10 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Claudio,

Thanks for getting in touch. The game isn't designed to be 'funny' per se, but there is certainly lots of fun to be had with some of the Event Cards messing up formations, taking injured players temporarily off the field, etc.

The game is played in set 3-minute segments (approx. 15 turns/Progress Rolls per half), but some of the Event Cards add additional time (usu. +1 or +2 mins) -- these are kept aside each half and the total added minutes rounded down to the nearest multiple of 3 to determine how many extra 3-min turns are played in that half.

I see your point re. the randomised timer because you can reach the 45-minute mark and know you can't do much/score, but since there is still a Progress Roll made at this point, an Extreme Fail or Success CAN still lead to a last-minute goal or injury!

Although I'm loathe to introduce more dice rolling into the game, I do like the idea of using a single dice to determine how much further forward the timer moves and thus adding an element of randomness to proceedings - I'll certainly try this next time I take it to our gaming group! Arguably, there's no reason you couldn't make that change yourself when/if you playtest the game - which I hope you do!

The game as is already works really well, and the mechanics are solid -- they're based on a PBM game/computer program I wrote many years ago as a teenager! There is a little bit of addition and subtraction required to determine each player's area scores and Progress/Target Roll each turn, but anyone with a good grasp of basic maths can do this very quickly in their head -- although I have provided an 'Easy Reference Strip' to make things even easier! Feedback has been universally positive (and games do get rather loud and lively when goals are missed, players get taken off, etc!), but I'm hoping to expand and develop it into a larger, more conventional game in due course.

If you get a chance to download the components and have a game, please do get back to me if you have any issues at all with it. And like I said, no reason you couldn't try it yourself with the randomised 1d6 timer!

The Rules and Example of Play in this thread are all you need to start playing straight away, but I'm hoping to finalise and upload them today or tomorrow -- we've already played many games at our local gaming group, and none of the games have taken more than 25 mins or so -- once the concepts are grasped, games are quick and fast!

Thanks again, and here's hoping you give it a chance and let me know how you get on!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
[WIP] - Minty's Bootiful Football Game - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - [Component-Ready]
Another Update... [Component Ready]

Yay! At last, I have added the Rule sheet to the rest of the game, and finalised all the components, so we're pretty much ready to go...

I've updated the original, initial Thread to reflect this.

However, before I declare it as my FINAL version and confirm entry to the competition, I'd love to hear what you lot think of it, so please print off the relevant bits and treat yourself to a cracking game of MINTY's Bootiful Football Game!

Here's the relevant link to the components - it's a 10-page PDF and contains everything you need to enjoy the game and start playing NOW (excl. the dice and markers o' course!)

Print'n'Play Components: Minty's Football P'n'P PDF

ENJOY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

I've now had the opportunity to playtest this game even more, and one of the aspects I've witnessed players struggling with is the mental maths required to work out the different percentage chances for each Progress Roll.

Having canvassed suggestions, one of them was to try and reduce the size of the numbers involved to make adding and comparing opposing areas much quicker and easier. Some players also felt that increasing their area scores and percentage chances by a couple of points with the odd formation change didn't feel significant in the grand scheme of things.

To this end, I'm proposing to down-size the player scores to between 2 and 5, and look at using 2d10 or 3d6 in the more conventional sense of having players roll to achieve a 'target' of x or less (probably 10 or 12, but need to see what works), with a suitable modifier depending on how large or small the gap between opposing area scores is...

Another suggestion was to have the GK more involved by giving them a form of 'saving roll' to see if they save the shot that got through the relevant DEF area...

Suggestions/ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
2d6 -> greater than or equal to a target number

There's a wide variety of options here. Simple, easy, and quick calculations seem like the way to go.

GL to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank R4D6 (?) -- 2d6 feels a bit restrictive (because I'd like to keep doubles counting as failures if I can), but I was also stuck in the mindset of achieving BELOW a target roll, but I can see the logic and simplicity behind having a positive variance give a positive modifier...

Am planning to try various combinations, but this is the first one (based on reducing all the player skill levels down by 4 at the moment, giving a 1-5 range for player skill levels).

Initial suggested modifiers (for 2d6 and possession target roll of 7 or more) are as follows, with doubles still counting as failures though:

+/- 1 area variance = +/-1 modifier
+/- 2-3 area variance = +/-2 modifier
+/- 4-6 area variance = +/-3 modifier
+/- 7+ area variance = +/-4 modifier

Because the area score range has changed dramatically, there are unlikely to be large variances, so most modifiers will remain at just +/- 1-3, I suspect, but in this way a single point increase still makes a big difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
2d6 -> greater than or equal to a target number

There's a wide variety of options here. Simple, easy, and quick calculations seem like the way to go.

GL to you!

Just another update...

I had a chance to play around with the numbers and think we may have hit upon a slight balancing issue, which is causing too many goals to be scored using 2d6...

At the moment, I have down-scaled all the skill levels of the players from levels 5-9 down to 2-5, which has definitely made the number crunching much easier. However, adopting the 2d6 (two six-sided dice) approach, and using 7+ as the target to roll for progressing the ball has led to a few too many goals, and making the target roll 8+ instead helped, but didn't have as big an impact as I expected.

I also changed the modifiers to make the calculations much easier -- instead of having to refer to a table, I've opted to use the difference between the two scores halved and rounded up as the modifier that gets applied to each roll, with a maximum of +4 or -4 should the numbers end up higher than this (usually through injuries, sendings-off, etc...)

Do bare in mind that a double is still a failure, though, and a 1-1 an Xtreme Fail, and 6-6 an Xtreme Success, so there is still a much better possibility that these turn up (which they do a bit more often, but that was expected).

I've yet to try giving the goalkeepers a last-ditch saving throw, but hope to try it this weekend and see if that works - I'm concerned about the additional dice rolling and possibility it'll extend the game time a bit, but I'm proposing to use the GK skill (lvls 4 or 5 only) as a saving throw, meaning players have to throw that number OR LESS on 2d6 to save a goal. This would at least give the GKs a more significant role, and add to the tension a bit more...

I'll be updating the PDF and components with the current rule-set (v2.1) later today, but may yet choose to add the last-ditch saving throw for the GK as well - we'll see what the weekend brings.

Meanwhile, I'd really like to know if anyone has had the opportunity to try the game, and see what they think? I can play it umpteen times with our boardgames group, but would value the honest feedback/input from 'strangers', so to speak...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi again,

I've done some more work on this, and have decided to stick with 7+ as being the Target Roll for progressing the ball between areas, thus meaning that players can still succeed with a roll of 3 or 11 at the two extreme ends of the Target Roll (with a +4 or -4 modifier). Do remember that a double is still a failed roll unless it's a 1-1 (see below).

I've also added a Quick Reference sheet to the first page, which can be cut out and fits neatly inside the tin, if players need it to refer to.

Also, after further playtesting this weekend, it became apparent that some players became irritated when they rolled a 6-6 (originally an Xtreme Success) when making an attack on goal (FWD vs DEF + GK), especially if this then didn't automatically grant them the goal they had just scored! So, as an ironic compromise I have reversed the Xtreme rolls, making 1-1 an Xtreme Success and 6-6 an Xtreme Fail - this might seem a bit redundant, but psychologically kept everyone a lot happier, and not feeling aggrieved that their successful Target Roll has backfired on them!

Here's the updated link to the downloadable components for the 2d6 version of Minty's Football Game...

v2.2 Minty's Football Game components and rule sheet

Thanks again to anyone who gives this a go - massively appreciated, and your feedback - as always - would be very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't see cutlines on the sheets of tiles. How do I cut them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:

Hiya -- thanks for taking a look at my design.

Pages 1 and 10 are printed separately, but the rest should be printed double-sided onto card or thick paper (ideally) -- they should come out back-to-back and aligned correctly, allowing you to cut out the squares, but I'll add dotted lines to make it clearer in the next update!

Thanks, and apologies for any confusion.

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:

Hi again,

I've updated the file to include the relevant cut-lines - thanks again, and please let me know how you get on!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coldron
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are our impressions of the game. We tried it a week ago and I see you've put out an updated version since then.

First off; we liked it. It does what it says on the tin, giving a feeling of the ebb and flow of a football match. It didn't overstay its welcome and lasted just about the right time for the weight of the game. Every situation that arose in the game was what you'd expect in a real match and we didn't end up with a 27-19 scoreline or anything weird like that. The only thing which seemed odd, looking at it from that point of view, is that in real-life you'd be able to use substitutions to put fresh legs on and give a boost to your team and there didn't seem to be much use for the subs in this. I think my suggestion at the time was adding a tiring mechanic but, on reflection, that would be a lot of admin for not much gain so ignore that.

The event cards which come out whenever you fail a die roll and lose possession seemed okay, giving a variety of different events and a few decisions to make. There were a few times when the decision was obvious or not relevant but there was always going to be another card in a minute so it didn't matter. The cards did add more thematic flavour, which was good.

The speedbumps in gameplay were mainly to do with keeping track of relative strengths in each area. Using the two dice didn't really help that as we kept knocking them over or forgetting to adjust them whenever a card changed things. Similarly, we weren't really sure why there are dice for the goals as well as a track. Probably just tokens on a track will do it.

The game is very light and quite luck dependent. A bit too light for my taste. I'd guess that it's possible to make all the right decisions and still lose badly, but that's just the style of game it is rather than a criticism. If you can add more strategy without too much cost in complication or time then I'd call that an advance. Paula liked it how it is, though, so it's safe to ignore me on that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Thanks, Tom - your feedback and support are massively appreciated!

Hopefully, using much smaller numbers for skill levels makes keeping track of the various area scores much easier, and you're right, the dice on the score track were just markers and could arguably have been substituted for markers or just used as is, and throw out the score track!

Thanks again for your help!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Just an update...

I have updated the rules to clarify how the Xtreme Deck works with those 1-1 and 6-6 dice rolls, and also added a cover design for the tin... Note there are two sets of rules on pgs 10 and 11 -- you only need one of them to play, but the sheets have been designed so they'll print properly on double-sided paper -- you could just print one of them off and fold it lots, instead ;-)

And here's the cover:

Hope you'll give it a try. Feedback welcome.

Complete Print'n'Play file is here: Minty's Football

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! Thanks for the cut lines. Will make a copy soon. Heads up ... While the current version is posted just above this post,the old version is in the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Thanks, will get that sorted right now!

Cheers, and hope you enjoy it!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Hi! Thanks for the cut lines. Will make a copy soon. Heads up ... While the current version is posted just above this post,the old version is in the first post.

Sorted now, so thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] - Minty's Bootiful Football Game v2.2 - An update...

Hi again,

I've been trying various changes to the dice rolling and probabilities thereof, and have reverted back to using 2d10 (0-9 with 0 counting as zero not 10!) for the Target Roll, with a base target of 10 or more required to move the ball onto the next area - this widens the possibilities, and also allows a slightly higher maximum modifier of +/-5 instead of +/-4...

The Xtreme rolls therefore become:
0-0 = Xtreme Success
9-9 = Xtreme Failure...

The rest of the rules remain unchanged.

Following some of the feedback I received about the game, I've also added a couple of optional rules (to the first 'functional bits' sheet, since they won't fit on the main rules sheet!). They can be used individually or together, and do add a little bit extra to the game:

(1) The first one allows GKs to have a 1d10 saving throw (but I've reduced their skill levels down by 1 as a consequence) - this gives them additional importance in the game, feels more thematic, and actually plays really well, bringing additional doubt when players are loading up their FW area scores to maximise their goal chances...

(2) the second optional rule is to allow players to keep the 'Substitution' event card when drawn, and use it later - it must be used BEFORE any Target/Progress Roll is made, however. Also, if using this rule, the extra "+1 MIN" for the Substitution is only valid for the half in which the card is played.

Both these changes provide a bit more control to players when it comes to sorting out their team layout and formations...

The new, updated P'n'P file is now available:

MINTY's Bootiful Football Game v2.2 PnP PDF file

I'm hoping to get some last-minute feedback before declaring this game Contest-ready, so please get in touch if you get to try the latest version!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

** And another update... NEW files available to download (links below) **

Just another update...

I've now produced a low-ink, mostly black & white version of the
components, in the hope that the no. of cards and events is not preventing people from trying the game.

The low-ink file can be found here:
low-ink Minty's Football Game v2.2 (bw)

The normal P'n'P file, is here:
v2.3 Minty's Bootiful Football Game P'n'P PDF

Otherwise, we're pretty much Contest-Ready, too...

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Incidentally, Minty's Bootiful Football Game now has its own BGG page, and you can download both full colour and low-ink PDFs of the relevant Print'n'Play files from the Files section here:

Minty's Bootiful Football Game BGG page

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls