Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
First off, my wife and I bought the game and we both enjoy playing it together.

We are each controlling a single saint. We chose the bad cop and the reporter because we are able to assist each other for many tests with atleast 3 dice (barring soul and rage, neither which are tested by either of us often).

What we found is that the game is a bit too easy. Using the structure "As the hours pass", we are provided 24 omens in the clock.

However with only 2 players, there are fewer nexus locations. Over the course of each scenario (we've played through all but 1 scenario in the Candle Point chapter) we fail maybe 1 test per game.

We believe we're playing everything correctly as I'm quite annul about rules. The mutations are typically not punishing enough (although once in a while you get a very bad luck outcome).

Anyone else finding things a bit too easy with 2 saints given that the "left" and "right" can be used to assist and typically you can stay at the same nexus (given the lack of time pressure) and thus also the "top" is also available for assist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Campbell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I played solo with Frank Block, and managed to clear all of the core and Skinwalker missions. Some of the missions were really easy, but several of them came down to the wire, either close to losing by fading or by timing out. I finished The Sugar Trap with two cards left in my deck and one card left in the clock, with a nailbiting one-two finish against Grandmother Fish and Kairos.

However, with the missions that I succeeded at with little difficulty, I know that it could have easily swung the other way, either because a minion or master is close to the bottom of a nexus, or failure at a crucial moment making me lose important cards and time.

I'm running a second playthrough now with Dr. Zeez and Gabriella Vargas, and there's a lot more pressure on Zeez's healing, since fading is a much more present danger than with Frank. I actually got close to fading on Shirts and Skins, since Zeez is much squishier than Frank. It seems to me like the clock is really there as a last ditch to prevent stalling, but the real threat of failure can be failing against threats and fading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are only keeping a max of 3 dice per check right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Campbell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yes, but I made ample use of supports and boosts to keep my rate of success high. Having two Runic Blades and enduring fragments that allowed for bonus dice and flips helped a lot, too. Also a Yankee Clipper to keep 4 dice when I needed to hit 18s against Skinwalkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Gambit001 wrote:
You are only keeping a max of 3 dice per check right?

Correct.

Our decks are both built pretty strong now, it's quite rare to find an upgrade card. Hoping Skinwalkers chapter will prove to be much more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grammarian wrote:

I'm running a second playthrough now with Dr. Zeez and Gabriella Vargas, and there's a lot more pressure on Zeez's healing, since fading is a much more present danger than with Frank. I actually got close to fading on Shirts and Skins, since Zeez is much squishier than Frank. It seems to me like the clock is really there as a last ditch to prevent stalling, but the real threat of failure can be failing against threats and fading.

So far in 2 player games, we've played with different combinations of Evangeline Rose, Zeez, and One. I haven't noticed much difference in 'squishiness' between them. What's different with Frank that he isn't at as much fade risk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Campbell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Frank only has a hand size of 4, which means that if you fail against a threat by a large margin, you're not discarding that many cards. Meanwhile, if you fail by a large margin with Zeez or Gabby, you're looking at ditching 6 or 5 cards, respectively. That's nearly half of Zeez's deck, more if you've already burned his four Omens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grammarian wrote:
Frank only has a hand size of 4, which means that if you fail against a threat by a large margin, you're not discarding that many cards. Meanwhile, if you fail by a large margin with Zeez or Gabby, you're looking at ditching 6 or 5 cards, respectively. That's nearly half of Zeez's deck, more if you've already burned his four Omens.

Ah, ok. We're pretty aggressive in using our cards so that's the biggest issue we've run into with managing our decks. I don't think we've failed a check yet and taken a big damage hit. I think 1 damage has been it so far, but that's with only a couple plays. I do want to give Frank a try. I think I didn't start with him because of his small hand size. I was worried about the lack of options with only 4 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Grammarian wrote:

Pack your deck with strike type cards (not hard for rage). Make sure you have a Hitman Sampler (also a strike which can be buried to heal 3 strikes).

Get strikes even on your body cards, Halligen Bar or whatever is excellent as it can help your team mates as well (flexibility is incredible in 2 player games).

Wolfgram Cube is another very powerful card that conditionally adds another dice while recycling as oppose to discarding (or worse).

Lucky Numbers is passable as the single soul card as it can be used (only on yourself) for an emergency set of re-rolls.

Team up with the Reporter (forgot her name) allowing her to examine 2 at the end of the turn you always know what's coming up. If Frank can't handle it then just draw a card from the clock (probably an Omen), go to transfer step and give an Omen to your team mate to clear the threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danial Pearce
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm playing with 2 saints. The reporter and One. Both have body 3 and mind 4, and both have either cheap or free avoid abilities. Additionally, the reporter can examine 2 for free, meaning in 2 player game, there are never any surprises except turn 1.

I just played shirts and skins, playing in order from taking the plunge onwards. I found this mission far too easy. 2 player game has 24 on the clock but only 18 cards to get through in the 2 nexuses. Also 9 omens in our decks. Additionally, the mancubs only need 13 body with sense meaning 5 dice for One. As we always knew when they were coming we could easily make sure it was a hope nexus, making it only 11.

There were also only 2 threats in each nexus. As it was ridiculously easy, we chose not to seal the nexuses and just collect all the gifts.

I know the rules say you can play in any order, but reading the story book it made sense to start at taking the plunge. People have said this was meant to be the first mission and given how easy it is, I feel that should be less of a suggestion and more a mandate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.