Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a card have double surge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
So if i have Overzealous and i draw an encounter card that already has surge on it. Does that mean that i have to pull 2 extra encounter cards after the first one, or just the 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 extra encounters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
No. If a card gains multiple instances of a keyword, it's treated as having only one instance of that keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
No. If a card gains multiple instances of a keyword, it's treated as having only one instance of that keyword.

Correct. RR, p. 13

A single card that has and/or is gaining the same keyword from multiple sources functions as if it has one instance of that keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know that rule, but Guillaume's application of the Grim Rule is probably how I would have played it.

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I suspect Overzealous is worded precisely in this way so that it is only 1 encounter card, otherwise Overzealous might as well have just said draw two encounter cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Jjdelanoche wrote:
I mean, I suspect Overzealous is worded precisely in this way so that it is only 1 encounter card, otherwise Overzealous might as well have just said draw two encounter cards...

It basically does?

You draw one. It gains surge (if it doesn't already have it), so you draw another.

You're always going to draw two, but if the one normally surges when it whiffs, you only get one more (instead of two more). But that next draw still surges if it also has the keyword.

Not to mention the normal encounter card coming up in mythos, if you drew Overzealous in upkeep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

It basically does?

You draw one. It gains surge (if it doesn't already have it), so you draw another.

You're always going to draw two, but if the one normally surges when it whiffs, you only get one more (instead of two more). But that next draw still surges if it also has the keyword.

Not to mention the normal encounter card coming up in mythos, if you drew Overzealous in upkeep...

But that's the point. It doesn't. If it did then if the first card you drew had surge then you would end up drawing 3. Whereas with the actual wording you only draw 2 (unless of course the second card has surge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By 'precisely one encounter card' I'm talking about how many you draw after the first one if the first card you draw has surge, not overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear,I draw Corrosion, I have no items, it surges, I draw Dance of the Yellow King, there are no loonys in play, it surges, only it doesn't. End of mythos phase. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
To be clear,I draw Corrosion, I have no items, it surges, I draw Dance of the Yellow King, there are no loonys in play, it surges, only it doesn't. End of mythos phase. Cool.

No, that's two consecutive cards, each with Surge. It doesn't matter how you came to draw Dance; if a card has Surge, it Surges. And in fact, if Overzealous made you draw Dance (for your first card), it would surge regardless of whether there are any loonies. But if there were not, then it would still only surge once.

Toward the end of a Rougarou run last night, I drew five Surge cards in a row. That werewolf was really hyper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.