Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, i get what you can do if you roll a "command" die face (if you meet the condition of moving to an adjacent shire containing a friendly unit)...but what if that is not an option?

- is the roll just a waste? a "0" result?
- do you then treat it as a "fled" maybe?
- or if you could meet the condition, but simply choose not to, is this just a wasted roll?

just doesn't seem to make sense (to us at least) that the roll produces no result at all just because you don't happen to have a friendly unit adjacent...

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

A Command Decision that is not used or for which no viable option exists, is a "non-result". Meaning, nothing happens.

Perhaps, think of it as you are maneuvering your army on field, but haven't been engaged by the enemy yet. It's not winning you the battle, but you haven't lost either. So a 'bad result' but not as bad a Fled...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
ok, i get what you can do if you roll a "command" die face (if you meet the condition of moving to an adjacent shire containing a friendly unit)...but what if that is not an option?

- is the roll just a waste? a "0" result?
- do you then treat it as a "fled" maybe?
- or if you could meet the condition, but simply choose not to, is this just a wasted roll?

just doesn't seem to make sense (to us at least) that the roll produces no result at all just because you don't happen to have a friendly unit adjacent...

thanks...
The rules aren't perfect, but there is no huge oversight like not mentioning that command decisions convert to flee results if you don't meet the conditions
A command decision simply means you get the option of moving a unit to an adjacent Shire with friendly units. If you can't do that or don't want to, nothing happens. Just like a hit result if all enemy units are already dead also has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
A big part of these games is ensuring that those command decision rolls are not wasted. Strategically keeping a cube behind so you have options to "retreat" is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
A big part of these games it ensuring that those command decision rolls are not wasted. Strategically keeping a cube behind so you have options to "retreat" is important.

After only a single play of 1775 (still waiting for half my 878 shipment), I can see that the Command results are perhaps the most powerful tool in the system. Redeploying units from one battle to another, or from a battle to a new tactical position — given how precious Movement Points are, these extra marches are priceless! You can't just sink a billiard ball; you have to think where the cue ball might end up, and plan for the next shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, it can be. But note that it's very different here than 1775.

That game lets you "command" units into "blank" areas. 1812 let you command into 'friendly' area that you controlled.

Vikings rules specifically say you can only command move units into a place where you ALREADY have a unit. So, even though the English "control" everything that doesn't have a Viking in it, they can still only command move from a battle to a place where they have other men (and it could be an upcoming battle).

That is a BIG change and something I suspect a lot of folks who are "familiar" with the system are overlooking.

Note for the OP-- yes, if you can't/don't choose to use it, it's a 'miss.'Not as bad as a Fled (and I can't fathom why anyone would think it turns into a Fled) but not a hit either.

In previous games of the series, the face of the die for Command was blank. Note here that only the Fyrd dice has a 'blank,' as they do not have the option to command move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
...Vikings rules specifically say you can only command move units into a place where you ALREADY have a unit...

Did they update this in the rule book online? I don't have the rule book on me, but I thought there had to be a unit of the same faction in the destination as the unit being command moved (not just the same side).

This is going to be a big change in our games now that I see this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
kduke wrote:
...Vikings rules specifically say you can only command move units into a place where you ALREADY have a unit...

Did they update this in the rule book online? I don't have the rule book on me, but I thought there had to be a unit of the same faction in the destination as the unit being command moved (not just the same side).

The rules here and on Academy's site (which they finally updated!) say you can move into a shire containing units of your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kduke wrote:
... note that it's very different here than 1775.

That game lets you "command" units into "blank" areas. 1812 let you command into 'friendly' area that you controlled.

Vikings rules specifically say you can only command move units into a place where you ALREADY have a unit. So, even though the English "control" everything that doesn't have a Viking in it, they can still only command move from a battle to a place where they have other men (and it could be an upcoming battle).

I kinda gleaned that from the first posts in the thread. OK, so those particular dynamics are different from game to game, thanks, good to know ... but I suspect the Command function is still one of the most powerful abilities in each game. It's not just a results that "happens when you didn't run away or kill the enemy." It's possible opportunity to foresee and even rely on. I suspect that mastering this ability will win you the majority of games against opponents who don't understand its power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Reimius wrote:
...I thought there had to be a unit of the same faction in the destination as the unit being command moved (not just the same side).

Yeah, from the rulebook that came with my copy, (page 7):

"For each Command result rolled, that Faction may move one of its own Units from the Battle to any adjacent Shire that contains units of its side."
(Bold font is per the rulebook)

It appears that the nuance being missed is that the last word says, "side", not "faction".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Rolling a flee result isn't the worst thing in the world most of the time either ...

of course it can be too. All depends on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't command decision, the command result has no effect. This adds supply chain strategies to the game. You can command decision to a shire that contains your own or only your ally's units. You also can command move into an adjacent Battle that has not happened yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.