Subject: What Type of "Magic" Does Near and Far Contain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I dislike magic, and so I normally don't buy games that contain it. However, Above and Below's flavor of magic was very borderline. Most if not all of it could just be ancient technology that is strange to the characters. Is that how Near and Far is, or is there definite magic in it? The Mystics and the Mystic's Hut particularly throw up warning signs. But if it's the same as Above and Below in that respect, then I can see my wife and I loving this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mystics Hut are treasure cards that give you special items like a canvas tent - gain 2 hearts when you build a camp on a trade route space or coin purse - +2 points if you have the most unspent coins at the end of the game.

So IMO the magic is not even there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'd say there's not a whole lot of magic involved as far as I've gotten (which, admittedly is a small % of the large amount of stories). The manual doesn't even mention the word "magic". It's pretty much a world of such highly advanced technology (specifically called out as "artifacts") that they are indistinguishable from magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign book definitely mentions
Spoiler (click to reveal)
potions and chanting magic spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
It's possible you might come across a mention of magic type words in flavour text but there is nothing in the actual game mechanics that has anything to do with magic so it's barely there. In that regard it's similar to Above and Below.

That said, it's possible the character story mode might have your character encounter something lightly magical. But without having read all the story paragraphs I can't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely similar to the whimsical feel of Above and Below. But after two games of the campaign, we have found at least one story that definitely involved magic.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Someone cast a spell on other people, and you could potentially reverse it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
I've only read a few stories and a few of them are quite dark, so you may not like that. However, Arcade mode can be played without the stories.

For example, on the first map, my daughter encountered a woman in a cage, but the cage was teeth or something. It was a bit scary. Instead of reading that out to her I just chose another story about a restaurant that had no chef.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
lukasaurus wrote:
However, Arcade mode can be played without the stories.

At that point, you might as well just pass on the game and get something that fits you better. It's not a great value if you don't include the stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the feedback! We've kickstarted Empires of the Void II so perhaps we'll stick with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"Low level artifact magic that doesn't have in-depth explanations" is most of it. Some organ powered blood magic and things like that in some storylines. Some trips surreal stuff in others.

If you're asking for kids you want to keep away from it, it's a skip. If you're looking to mostly avoid it but can stomach some, it's not super in your face most of the time except for a few characters in story mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.