Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that some of the quoted playing times for some of the scenarios are hopelessly optimistic. Saga of the 6th Airborne, for example; 7-9 hours (for 4 game days) when Day of Days is listed as 4 Hours playing (for1 game day).

We were still gaming the first day of 'Saga' after 7 hours blush

Intermediate and advanced I'd estimate 1-1.5 hours of play per historical turn as a rule of thumb, possibly more. So that would put Saga of the 6th Airborne at around 40+ hours of playing time and Day of Days at around 12-15 hours playing time (2 players). Of course the games could always end earlier if it becomes apparent that one side cannot win.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign games of The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen and Where Eagles Dare definitely moved slower than real time, particularly at the start of the game. Things picked up as both sides figured out their plans and units got removed from the board. What you are seeing I would consider typical for the GTS series. My understanding is that the counter density is even higher with this game.

I imagine that after you've played a few times and have the rules down, you would be playing a lot faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 6 experienced GTSers play the campaign came of TGD at CSWE a few years ago. We only made it through 2 whole game days playing ~10 hours a day for at least five days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or my idea of running the CSW game at 24/7.

Just make teams (Ex.Split 6 into 2 teams of 3 guys each) and use shifts (morning shift, afternoon shift, and night shift). But no one liked it or wanted to sign up for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that first turn is action packed for the AB. You have to roll all of those drops, and the stragglers take up a lot of time early. Same for the landings, that first 0700 turn takes a really long time on any given Beach.

Also, all the Brit formation Chits are in the cup first turn, fewer after that.

I've been playing Day of Days, but I'm still internalizing the system beyond the flow charts, so I've been at it for a while. The game is complex, both from a Rules perspective as well as in terms of how to play well.

That said, all game play length estimates are dirty, dirty lies. They are Play times for two experienced opponents who know what they need to do and how to do it. That is not me, yet anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a big difference between vassal play, which highlights all the units as they are activated by chit pull and calculates the die roll for each attack just by clicking on firer and target, and face to face play.

I played Day of Days solo using Vassal and it took several weekends of 4 to 5 hours - probably 30 hours in total. I was writing up the play as I went, so that slows things doen a bit.

Currently I'm doing the same with the Right Hook campaign, and finding that a full game turn for the equivalalent of 3 divisions is taking about two hours.

I've got a 4 player face-to-face campaign of The Initial Plan planned for next month and hoped to be able to run it over 3 days, but as none of the other players have played before I'm starting to feel that's hopelessly optimistic. I don't think there's another scenario thats any shorter and would really suit the number of players though.

[Edit - after thinking more deeply about this (and playing more Right Hook) I've doubled my original time figures above]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rutan wrote:
There's also a big difference between vassal play, which highlights all the units as they are activated by chit pull and calculates the die roll for each attack just by clicking on firer and target, and face to face play.

I played Day of Days solo using Vassal and it took several weekends of 4 to 5 hours - probably 30 hours in total. I was writing up the play as I went, so that slows things doen a bit.

Currently I'm doing the same with the Right Hook campaign, and finding that a full game turn for the equivalalent of 3 divisions is taking about two hours.

I've got a 4 player face-to-face campaign of The Initial Plan planned for next month and hoped to be able to run it over 3 days, but as none of the other players have played before I'm starting to feel that's hopelessly optimistic. I don't think there's another scenario thats any shorter and would really suit the number of players though.

[Edit - after thinking more deeply about this (and playing more Right Hook) I've doubled my original time figures above]

This is an excellent point. I'm playing through the scenarios of TDC via VASSAL with Skype. 'A Bridge too Far' is taking around 2 hours a turn at the moment, the combat is a breeze, just need to keep an eye on some of the mods. Longer playing time isn't a problem, but I was disappointed when, after planning a gaming session, I couldn't get the scenario finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true, but with a command rating of 11 the 6th Airborne turns are always going to be lengthy affairs. BTW if you ever feel like a PBEM VASSAL let me know.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
Keep in mind that first turn is action packed for the AB. You have to roll all of those drops, and the stragglers take up a lot of time early. Same for the landings, that first 0700 turn takes a really long time on any given Beach.

Also, all the Brit formation Chits are in the cup first turn, fewer after that.

I've been playing Day of Days, but I'm still internalizing the system beyond the flow charts, so I've been at it for a while. The game is complex, both from a Rules perspective as well as in terms of how to play well.

That said, all game play length estimates are dirty, dirty lies. They are Play times for two experienced opponents who know what they need to do and how to do it. That is not me, yet anyway.

Missed quoting in my reply aboveblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.