Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way the Worthington KS trays are optimal for storage or should I just use GMT trays, as I am doing now? What am I missing, these "custom" trays dont seem to fit the needs very well.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using the lower half for regular storage, which works pretty well. I'm storing most of the American counters on the left, and most of the German stuff on the right. The foxhole markers, and extra stuff that doesn't fit I store in the middle part.
The move markers and such I've put in ziplock bags in the bigger compartments.

Now, if I'm preparing a scenario I find what I need and put it in the top half so I can set it up more quickly.

It isn't perfect, but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
Is there a way the Worthington KS trays are optimal for storage or should I just use GMT trays, as I am doing now? What am I missing, these "custom" trays dont seem to fit the needs very well.

Thanks!
I'm using the big middle wells for status counters and the outer wells for the unit counters.
Units are sorted by nationality, type (vehicle/gun/inf/WT), and then by ranking (e.g. 2nd line units on one end, elite troops at the other end. Tanks with low FP on one end, high FP at the other end)

Since I know where everything is setup goes pretty quick, but admittedly it is not the most intuitive setup judging by my opponents reactions whistle

Everything in SE, GP, and TA fits into two trays, I doubt much more will fit and I have yet to decide if I'll change my storage solution to incorporate the BP1 or if I'll just leave those counters in that box.

There is also file here on BGG showing how to make subdividers for the bigger wells, but I don't think they are better than GMT trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use the GMT trays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:

Yes, the trays are lame. If I recall, they were unfortunately intended to be dual-use, both for counter games and for block games (hence the big wells).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
I just use the GMT trays

Ditto, for the units. For the markers I use these nail organizers they're perfect to house half of the move, suppressed, sustained fire, smoke, and OP fire markers for each player. Along with a couple of d10s and a d6 for each player.

A third one holds the unconfirmed kill, illumination, fortified and artillery counters. Stuff that isn't normally used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how GMT trays can be called "optimal" storage for this game. How many do you have to use to store all the counters? It must be more that can fit in the box, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:
I don't see how GMT trays can be called "optimal" storage for this game. How many do you have to use to store all the counters? It must be more that can fit in the box, no?

Optimal - "most desirable or satisfactory"

For me, the Worthington trays are not great. I prefer more ability to differentiate between counters in storage. The GMT trays provide this capacity, so better in that regard. I was checking to see what I was missing about the Worthington trays (if anything) and about the GMT trays. So far it seems a number of people feel the Worthington trays are flawed for this use and also that the GMT trays work better. For these people, the GMT trays are optimal. It is possible that there is a solution that is better still ("optimal") but that has not been presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
Kinwolf wrote:

Optimal - "most desirable or satisfactory"

For me, the Worthington trays are not great. I prefer more ability to differentiate between counters in storage. The GMT trays provide this capacity, so better in that regard. I was checking to see what I was missing about the Worthington trays (if anything) and about the GMT trays. So far it seems a number of people feel the Worthington trays are flawed for this use and also that the GMT trays work better. For these people, the GMT trays are optimal. It is possible that there is a solution that is better still ("optimal") but that has not been presented.
So how much space do the GMT trays take up? I've got the first three games into two boxes (as I mentioned before I'm not sure if I can fit the battle pack into there too) Is that possible with GMT trays too or how much space does that solution take up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy to fit everything, well sorted, into GMT counter trays and have the new boxed editions be perfectly closed. And GMT counter trays ROCK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Easy to fit everything, well sorted, into GMT counter trays and have the new boxed editions be perfectly closed. And GMT counter trays ROCK.
Sorry to keep harping on this, but I'm getting more and more tempted to switch to the GMT trays myself and want to make sure it actually does all work how I want it to; "everything" means SE, GP, TA, and BP1? Or did you keep BP1 separate?
I'd image either way probably took more than 3 trays, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet found a use for the Worthington trays. I'd hoped to use them for an old Wizard's Quest game, but they wouldn't fit in the box.

I've got GMT trays and love them for this. I made some little rectangles of paper which divide each slot into two, each of which holds a stack of counters. That allows me to use one slot to hold a lot more, since there aren't enough of some counters to fill more than half of one of the GMT slots.

andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
The Worthington trays for this one are sitting in my closet, with hopes to find a suitable game for someday. In the meantime, I have everything stored in DVG trays which are perfect for this game. Lots of big counters, get sorted and stored in the deeper wells.

While I love my GMT trays, and they're my preferred option nearly always, the size and number of counters I found works best with the deep DVG trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
They suit me fine. I have the three current boxes (no BP though I'd like it). Texas Arrows has maps and paperwork (including Battle Manual), Ghost Panzer has Soviets in a tray, Screaming Eagles has Germans and Americans in separate trays, counter bags and LOS string go with the Yankees. When OBSP comes along Japanese will go in their tray to Ghost Panzer (I guess) and maps will go to OBSP, paperwork staying in TA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marlowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I use the small 5 compartment Plano boxes and can fit three in a single box with plenty of room for maps and manuals. It takes 5 small plano boxes to hold everything from the three boxes. Right now that means that it all fits into GP and SE boxes and the TE box is a spare. The main thing I like about them is that I can pack my boxes sideways and no counters shift between compartments or anything. So when I get where I'm going everything is where I packed it to start with. It's the main reason I dumped the Worthington inserts, they couldn't keep the counters where I put them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sxooter wrote:
I use the small 5 compartment Plano boxes and can fit three in a single box with plenty of room for maps and manuals. It takes 5 small plano boxes to hold everything from the three boxes. Right now that means that it all fits into GP and SE boxes and the TE box is a spare. The main thing I like about them is that I can pack my boxes sideways and no counters shift between compartments or anything. So when I get where I'm going everything is where I packed it to start with. It's the main reason I dumped the Worthington inserts, they couldn't keep the counters where I put them.

Model number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marlowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
CHF_90265 wrote:
Sxooter wrote:
I use the small 5 compartment Plano boxes and can fit three...

Model number?

Plano 3449-85 5 Compartment Stowaway

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Plano-3449-85-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Marlowe
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Better picture:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.