Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
(Note: I have cross-posted this in the forums for Paths of Glory, Barbarossa to Berlin and For the People)

Hello,

I have played Washington's War, Hannibal RvC, Twilight Struggle and 1960 and enjoyed them all.

Through various trades and other devious machinations, I have acquired the following CDGs:

Paths of Glory (probably the most well-regarded of the three)
Barbarossa to Berlin (my favorite topic of the three)
For the People (I've already played Washington's War - same designer)

Any thoughts on which might be the best to try next? I have put in the parentheses my personal reasons for leaning towards each one, but I'd like some input from wargaming experts.

Also, please feel free to recommend any others that I should try. For example, any that are more complex than the ones I've played and less complex than the ones I've listed. But if you can, please put contribute a thought for one of the three I've listed because I already own those.

Thanks!

Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like concise clear rules, Combat Commander: Europe from GMT will fit you well. It is a WWII squad level game. Think ASL-Lite. Good community, Good game. You can design your own games to be short or long, depending on your preference. Multiple ways of winning, though if you are like me you'll sometimes get myopic and miss the fact that if you'd have run that guy off the board instead of shooting at another squad you would have won, but now you lose. :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on BtB, which I haven't played, but when facing the decision between FtP and PoG, I found it easier to learn PoG. The freewheeling nature of FtP was quite confusing to me, while the more structured nature of PoG was a bit easier to understand (if not to execute properly.)

One method I used was to set the game up and follow two experienced players on ACTS:

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/pog.asp

Here are two games, for example:

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/dynamic/journal.asp?id=66947

http://acts.warhorsesim.com/dynamic/journal.asp?id=66239

You might also find this helpful:

Paths_of_Glory_guide.doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
huffman123 wrote:
If you like concise clear rules, Combat Commander: Europe from GMT will fit you well. It is a WWII squad level game. Think ASL-Lite. Good community, Good game. You can design your own games to be short or long, depending on your preference. Multiple ways of winning, though if you are like me you'll sometimes get myopic and miss the fact that if you'd have run that guy off the board instead of shooting at another squad you would have won, but now you lose. :-D

Oh, I have that and LOVE it. I suppose that is a CDG, but not in the way I meant it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
I suppose that is a CDG, but not in the way I meant it

Yes; there's a narrow definition of CDG and a broad definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All three are great so I would suggest playing the one whose subject you like the most: BtB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of CDG's.

Washington's War for me feels more like GO and less thematic than others, and that's not diminishing the fun, just a different feel.

For the People is one of my all time favorite games. It's a brilliant design, scripted enough to add flavor without leading the narrative. If you want the feel of replaying the Civil War this is the game. Want to experiment with trying an early amphibious southern invasion, want to pressure DC more intensely, want to try to march into Ohio...here's the game for that.

Paths of Glory hasn't grabbed me as much as it has others. I found it more game than narrative. I was never able to lose myself in the story of WWI, and for me that's a huge reason why I play strategy games, to learn and to feel.

Both For the People and Paths of Glory have their nuanced rules, but both are not difficult to learn and understand. The riverine rules in FTP are a bit over wordy and the exception rules in POG are long. But once you play a few rounds they become knowable.

I've never played Barbarossa to Berlin.

Other CDG's I love:

Combat Commander is also one of my favorites; it's rich, narrative heavy, fun, deep and expandable. And Chad's (really Kai's) rules are an exercise in elegant rule writing and layout, there's almost no better except maybe Volko Ruhnke. I highly highly recommend Combat Commander!

Speaking of Volko, his foundational CDG Wilderness War is phenomenal. Easy, narrative rich, cool historical period not often gamed.

Labyrinth is another of Volko's and this is also a brilliant design, ahead of it's time and a game changer. It's fantastically fun and a continual puzzle. I highly recommend it!

If you want another Herman CDG, and one that's a bit heavier try his Empire of the Sun. I haven't been able to get this and am now waiting on the P500.

And if you want a different approach to the CDG, try any of the COIN series. I'm a huge fan of the whole series (my brother Bruce is currently designing Gandhi for COIN IX). The series is another brainchild of Volko Ruhnke and it's a masterpiece. If you do go down the COIN road, I'd start with Cuba Libre to understand the mechanics, then pickup any of the others that fit your theme desire.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three as well but have only played POG which I thought was awesome.

Sword of Rome is another good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourites is Kingdom of Heaven, a CDG about the Crusades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People is awesome, though pretty heavy, lots of exceptions and things.

PoG is good, rather ahistorical, and has really heavily scripted decks. BtB has similar decks. Both are ok, but I don't like the "Racier" side of things as much as the Herman side. So Empire of the Sun is another heavy-duty Herman design, but also great. Age of Napoleon is a different sort of CDG, but I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played them all and love CDG's, although I sold Hannibal & BtoB. I play Paths of Glory quite a bit, so it just made sense to get into Pursuit of Glory which I really like and glad I own it. I also have David Gómez Relloso's Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish American War, which I think deserves much more acclaim that it has received - although the ratings are very favorable!

You might also consider the Volko Ruhnke COIN series which uses cards, but in a very innovative way. I particularly enjoy Mark Herman & Ruhnke's Fire in the Lake which, I believe does a decent job to personify the issues that confronted all sides during the Vietnam War. Finally, one beast of a game to master but worth the effort is Mark Herman's Empire of the Sun which, IMHO,is a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.