14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Is the game name "Ultraverse" acceptable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
I'm asking because I did some research and there seams to be an old super hero comic line with this title that was later bought by Marvel and then discontinued. This was sometimes in the mid 1990s.

The term would be really ideal as a name for my game. It has a somewhat thematic tie (even though theme isn't a superstrong selling point in my game), it sounds punchy and can be remembered easily (I hope).

But maybe it could create some confusion because people tie it to the old comic line. Has anybody heard of it so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
I didn't know it was a comic line, but still would recommend against because it does bring strong connections to mind and it sounds like your game might not be targeting those expectations in theme or scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I'll let people with more legal experience make this more clear, but I'm pretty sure you can't copyright titles. However, Marvel is now owned by Disney, and they're known for aggressively defending their intellectual property, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a cease-and-desist letter from their lawyers, and whether or not you're in the right legally, I wouldn't want to try to fight that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lzmountaingames wrote:
I didn't know it was a comic line, but still would recommend against because it does bring strong connections to mind and it sounds like your game might not be targeting those expectations in theme or scope.

I now have to know what 'strong connections' it has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name sounds fine to me! Just check the legal copyright/trademark section pinned in the design forum and make sure you can legal use that name, and if it's legal than do it if you want to. It has no specific connections to anything in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can't copyright titles.

No, but you can trademark them. Trademarks can expire, though, if abandoned.

In any case, the name "Ultraverse" makes me think of this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Guantanamo wrote:
Lzmountaingames wrote:

Multiverse, omni verse, the 'verse...

Scale: epic, possibly exaggerating rules of physics
Conflict, disparate beings , multitude of characters
High fantasy (Defenders of the...) or sci fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way back when, shortly after Marvel bought them and had a few of their characters cross over, I had subscriptions to a whole suite of Ultraverse comics.

There was even a short-lived TV cartoon based on the Malibu Ultraverse - I don't remember what it was called. Nightman had a live-action show briefly, but I'm pretty sure it never used the term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
flag msg tools
Lzmountaingames wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
Lzmountaingames wrote:

Multiverse, omni verse, the 'verse...

Scale: epic, possibly exaggerating rules of physics
Conflict, disparate beings , multitude of characters
High fantasy (Defenders of the...) or sci fi

Well, the game is semi-scifi and its main selling point is in fact gonna be a multitude of unique, crazy characters from all sorts of parallel universes fighting each other with some inspiration from the MOBA video game genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
Way back when, shortly after Marvel bought them and had a few of their characters cross over, I had subscriptions to a whole suite of Ultraverse comics.

There was even a short-lived TV cartoon based on the Malibu Ultraverse - I don't remember what it was called. Nightman had a live-action show briefly, but I'm pretty sure it never used the term.

UltraForce was the name of the cartoon. It was Malibu's version of the Avengers. I remember Mailbu's comics from when I was a kid.

A Trademark search would be a good place to start. Marvel/Disney will kick in your front door if you step on their trademarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick glance, and it looks like the comic related filing for UltraVerse trademarks is dead. Check it out.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4810:93m0ih.1.1

Copyright is a different story. Looks like the creator still holds it.
http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=+P...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Holz
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
I'll let people with more legal experience make this more clear, but I'm pretty sure you can't copyright titles.

That's true: you can copyright expressions of ideas, not the names of it. That's what trademarks are for.

Quote:
However, Marvel is now owned by Disney, and they're known for aggressively defending their intellectual property, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a cease-and-desist letter from their lawyers, and whether or not you're in the right legally, I wouldn't want to try to fight that.

They can't enforce a trademark claim when the trademark is no longer active, and you can check on http:/tmsearch.uspto.gov

The only active trademark for Ultraverse is this piece of medical equipment http://www.bardpv.com/portfolio/ultraverse-035/. That's unlikely to be mistaken for a board game, so you'd be fine to call your game that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"All-traverse"? Isn't that a game about backpacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, If you're not publishing it, don't worry about it. The publisher should be the one taking care of this, and may change the name, especially if they retheme it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.