Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Daytona 500, if a car in the space directly in front of a player moved in a turn, the trailing car would move ahead one space. When playing Downforce last night with a bunch of Daytona 500 enthusiasts (it has been one of our favorite games for over a decade), multiple players asked about adding that rule. Have any of you tried it? I'm thinking we will with our next set of games, with the tweak of drafting only happening if both cars (or all cars involved) are on rectangular spaces (and, therefore, more-or-less directly in line with each other). Do you think the track/rules environment of this game will make that mechanic damaging?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a game that's Daytona 500 with the Downforce component quality!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We toyed with drafting as one of the player powers, but it's a surprisingly complex rule with some weird edge cases. It certainly won't break anything to add it in, but it will make it slightly easier to finish as you're adding free movement points into the "economy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Downforce (yet!) but Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix is another game from this system and is probably much closer to Downforce in the family tree than Daytona. I have played Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix several times with drafting. My experience with that game is that it works just fine, though it definitely changes the feel of the choke points on the F1 tracks (which aren't a thing in Daytona). That said, after a few games with drafting we started just sometimes doing with, sometimes without (more often without). It is fine but we don't feel too strongly about it so tend to choose basic.

After we play Downforce a few times I suspect we'll try drafting there too. I like the rectangular spaces idea so may try that! Also, maybe it makes sense to use drafting as an alternative to using special abilities? That would keep the 'economy' more in balance and probably avoid most the mentioned rules edge cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Portland (Wilsonville)
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Golden... As in Oldie
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I'd love a game that's Daytona 500 with the Downforce component quality!

I replaced the cars with a bunch of these in player colors.

https://goo.gl/jiiUky

Had to shop hard to find some deals that made it work without costing much but the cars look amazing on the track. Not my idea... I borrowed this from someone else on BGG who uploaded some photos of their replacements using the same series of miniature cars.

Really love Daytona 500!! The subtle drafting and especially the fights in the the corners are what make the game shine for me. No mid game betting but I really enjoy the simple purity of the race mechanics in this game.

I would love a version of Daytona 500 that didn't require such a huge box. Makes it tough to bring to game nights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.