Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
192 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Terra Mystica» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: TM Tour Season21: Congrats to new D1 winner steve496! Under 18 days left rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terra Mystica
msg tools
Congratulations to steve496 for winning Division 1! He has played since Season 11 and won Division 1 in his first season in the toughest league. It was a very close finish with the other 1st time D1 player Dhrun receiving the same league points but less % of vp in games.

Edited by: JamesWolfpacker
----------------------------------------
The games are already up. If you would like to join the TM Tour, the next signup for Season 22 should start November 17, 2017 around midnight CET or GMT-1.

Edited by: JamesWolfpacker
----------------------------------------
The signup of Season 21 of TM Tour will begin 2 weeks before October 1 at midnight Central European Summer Time (September 17, midnight). For those of you in North and South America, signup will start sometime on September 16th.

http://tmtour.org/#/signup

Actual games for Season 21 are scheduled to start around midnight of October 1 in Central European Daylight Time and will last up to 2 months (most games finish in 6 weeks).

If you are new to the tournament, welcome! Say hi and let us know how you do in your 1st season.

Also, due to SillyWords retirement from the Terra Mystica community after his injury, if anyone is interested in finishing the administration of the World Team Championships please message JamesWolfpacker.

Posted by: JamesWolfpacker

Please Note Access to This BBG Account: Juho Snellman (jsnell, owner of terra.snellman.net), Daniel Åkerlund (bjolletz, owner of tmtour.org), CTKShadow (F&I test league admin), JamesWolfpacker (F&I test league admin), SillyWords (WTC admin).
Usage: Created for common use to allow several admins to update non-automated results of official, not yet official, or non-official Terra Mystica Posts, Tournaments and Leagues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Mystica
msg tools
Re: TM Tour: Season 21 Signup Now OPEN!
Signup Open. 74 Have already joined.

Posted by: JamesWolfpacker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Already 50 returning players signed up. Will be interesting to see if we actually get a lot this season or if they're all just aggressive about signing up early.

Division 4 Eligible: 1 Player
-----------------------------------------
gnpaolo 1980 19 5 1

Division 5 Eligible: 5 Players
Nikitiwe 1986 19 5 2
Dreadlord 1987 19 5 2
Mexx 1992 19 5 4
rogerc 1986 19 5 5
lmk12 2025 19 6 1

Division 6 Elgibile: 11 Players
Division 7 Elgibile: 19 Players
Division 8 Elgibile: 10 Players
Division 9 Elgibile: 4 Players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Matyjewicz-Maciejewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everybody!

I've been playing in the tournament for a few seasons, but haven't been into its forum until now. Can you give a brief description of what do the numbers in the table above mean?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
I wrote a script to pull a list of people who have previously played in the tournament, did not play in season 20, but are signed up to play in season 21. For the lower divisions, I just report the raw count because there's enough chaos in group organization that you can't really speculate on what the groups next season are going to look like anyway; however, for the higher divisions I additionally report some information about the last time they played.

The first column is their username according to the tournament - simple enough. The second is the league number of the last league they participated in - so, for instance, in gnpaolo's case, they were in league 1980, so if you go to http://tmtour.org/#/leagues/1980, you can see the last time they played. The third column is what season that was, the fourth is what division they were in, and the fifth is where they finished in their division. If you inspect the link above, you will see that it indeed points to a division 5 group in season 19, and that gnpaolo did in fact win that group - and since his last result was a win in D5, he is eligible to return in an open slot in D4. Whether he'll actually get a spot in D4 or have to start lower will depend on who else signs up - whether there are open spaces in D4, and whether there are any higher-ranking players returning who would have priority on whatever spots exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I especially like the players eligible to return to division 9. They better sign up again fast to get an unexpected promotion to division 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Percival Pennypincher
Canada
flag msg tools
To anyone eligible for division 5: Are you sure you want to go through the stress of yet another season of brutal, unforgiving Terra Mystica gameplay? Aren't you tired of getting blocked off.. of having that precious act4 clutched away from you.. of watching your rivals freely trade power while you waste away, neighbourless and alone? Wouldn't you rather have peace of mind, not having to obsess about your next move every minute of every day? Consider taking this season off! You'll thank yourself later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
@Steve
Thank you for explanation. Out of curiosity - how many previous seasons do you take in account? Hard to believe only that many players have ever missed a season.

@Percival
It's the sweat and blood we adore! Win, or perish trying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Oh, thousands of people have quit playing. Its just that only about 60 of them (so far) are signed up for season 21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh, sorry. Misunderstood this last point ;P
So, continuing the example, gnpaolo will get to div4 only if somebody who played in season 20 and ended it in div4 (in whatever fashion : staying, promoting from div5, falling from div3) will not sign in for season 21 - am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
That's my understanding, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Daeral wrote:
Oh, sorry. Misunderstood this last point ;P
So, continuing the example, gnpaolo will get to div4 only if somebody who played in season 20 and ended it in div4 (in whatever fashion : staying, promoting from div5, falling from div3) will not sign in for season 21 - am I right?

Almost. He only needs someone qualified for any of the top 4 divisions to drop out. For example if a D3 qualified person drops out then the top 2nd place finisher from D4 jumps to D3 and then gnpaolo would fill the empty spot left in D4 by the person who moved up to D3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
I don't think so, actually; I'm pretty sure returning players can only fill the exact spots vacated by people not signing up again. If there's no returning player eligible to fill such a slot, it doesn't get "saved" for the next returning player - it becomes a second-place promotion instead.

So if, hypothetically, Xevoc did not sign up again, and everyone else down to D6 did... gnpaolo would not be available for Xevoc's spot, and would instead have to take one of the D6 ones. Instead, there'd be one second-place promotion from every division in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was actually fixed somewhat. I believe he'd be put in D5 in that situation since he's eligible for D4. He might even be put in D4 where he belongs. Search the previous TM Tour Season topics for a post by bjolletz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
This was actually fixed somewhat. I believe he'd be put in D5 in that situation since he's eligible for D4. He might even be put in D4 where he belongs. Search the previous TM Tour Season topics for a post by bjolletz.

I assume you're referencing these two posts, and I can see how you might be reading it; that said, its still phrased in terms of "eligibility for empty slots" so I was sort of assuming it still works in the slot-filling model just with rules other than the usual ranking ones for deciding who can go where. Not sure which is actually right.

Edit: But the context of that discussion was S19 placements, and in S19 lscrock got a 2nd-place promotion to D3 while dgrazian, returning with D3 eligibility, wound up in D4, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
sorry I was wrong...thanks for correcting me.

Here is from the tmtour page...

"Each "empty slot" in the league system is filled in one of the following ways:

If the highest ranked "returning player" qualifies for populating the empty slot (the returning player's last division and league position are higher or equal to the empty slot position), then the empty slot is populated by the returning player and the player is removed from the ranked "returning players" list.
If the highest ranked "returning player" did not qualify, or there are no "returning players" left, then the empty slot is filled by moving all players below in the league system one slot upwards."

Assuming it is implemented correctly (and I understand correctly) a returning player who came 1st in D5 would be considered D4 Rank 6...and could get into D4 if there is an empty slot at D4 Rank 6. If not they'd fill the next highest empty slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steve496 wrote:

Edit: But the context of that discussion was S19 placements, and in S19 lscrock got a 2nd-place promotion to D3 while dgrazian, returning with D3 eligibility, wound up in D4, so...

It seems that it isn't division eligibility alone that matters, but rank within the division.

In this case I see iainuki* left after season 18 leaving a spot in division 3 rank 4, but dgrazian was only eligible for division 3 rank 5.

*-There may have been others that left, I didn't perform an exhaustive search, but no D3 rank 5 or D4 rank 1 players left to get dgrazian into division 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
The open slot that led to a 2nd-place promotion in S19D3 was actually the one vacated by Halskov (S18D1-6th), which no returning player qualified for. This led to a 2nd-place promotion in D2 (Mihas) as well as one in D3 (lscrock). Iainuki did bow out that season his well, but his slot was filled by loike (returning as D2-6th).

This is actually what led to that conversation and bjolletz's comments - under the normal ranking rules, neither dgrazian (D3-5th) nor loike (D2-6th) qualified for the D3-4th slot vacated by iainuki, and at the time I was under the impression that you had to beat the ranking of the empty slot by normal ranking rules to return into it.

As it turns out, this might be true if you're staying in the same division (not 100% sure), but, as bjolletz explains in those posts, there are different rules for players returning off a promotion or relegation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Returning players update - we're now up to 80:

Division 3 Eligible: 1 Player
Pokermarc89 1967 19 2 6

Division 4 Eligible: 1 Player
gnpaolo 1980 19 5 1

Division 5 Eligible: 6 Players
Nikitiwe 1986 19 5 2
Dreadlord 1987 19 5 2
belette7 1988 19 5 3
Mexx 1992 19 5 4
rogerc 1986 19 5 5
lmk12 2025 19 6 1

Division 6 Elgibile: 14 Players
Division 7 Elgibile: 33 Players
Division 8 Elgibile: 21 Players
Division 9 Elgibile: 4 Players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm sorry for not keeping up on the sign up stats like I usually do, but I don't know if they are all that awesome or desired.

Currently at 904 signups.

IIRC, usually this is the season that tends to bounce back from the Summer season player count dips as players don't sign up for the tournament since they might be taking some long vacations w/o internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogetoorn
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although this will be the seventh season I'm joining, I gladly introduce myself. I started playing TM online 1 year ago after a friend of mine kept stalking me and forcing me to play this game, because at first I hated it and I didn't understand the fun of it. But after my third game something got me. I started to see some light in the tunnel of possible moves, locations, actions and all the other factors in this game. It didn't mean that I was really improving, but at least I started to like, no, even love it. And now, when I'll start my seventh season (in the 7th divison probably), I can honestly say that I feel confident enough to say that I'm at least competitive after some nice scores in the previous season and some friendlies. And, let's face it, isn't a game even more fun when you have got a chance to win? ;-)

I introduced three Hungarian friends to the game and they will also enter the league this season. Good luck and have fun everybody! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Daniel/DeDaan. Welcome to the forums!

Steve, is it easy for you to script the amount of currently open spots in each Division? I've usually posted this by going through manually, but I'm short on time. I'm considering taking a break myself since I finished 2nd in my league and would likely be able to take most open spots in D4 when I return if I decide to take a break.

There are currently 973 players signed up with 2 days and 4 hours left to sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Its easy to get vacancies by current division, but it'd take significant work to get vacancies by what division they're eligible for next season. In case the former is useful:

Div Not Signed Up
1 3
2 4
4 9
5 20
6 42
7 114
8 64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Steve! The only thing I'd do is add current #1 not signed up to the division above and current #6 and #7 not signed up to the division below. Going into specific slots that were vacated and people that would fill slots from #2s and not signed up is not the weeds I'd think is worth wading into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Haas
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
Problem is that tmtour does not report ranks for the current season - it just queries all the game state and computes ranking points and tiebreakers and everything from there in (I assume) javascript. So I'd need to recreate all that logic to figure out promotions and demotions, and I haven't felt like messing with that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.