Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: here's a FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FAQ [+] [View All]
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We posted a FAQ on this link. Will upload to Files as well.

---

Since we released The World, several nagging issues have troubled us in our dreams. We aim to set them aright here, so we can get a decent night’s rest for once.

How many structures do I need for a mission?
Typically three—a clock, a goal, and a nexus structure. Enter Here uses only Incarnate, and the Physician missions add And Pestilence Reigns.

What does it mean to “use” a virtue?
It means you have set that virtue as a target. You’re using Rage only when, in the Target step, you chose a Rage target. You’re not using Rage when you add a Rage die to your Soul check. A power can change what virtue you’re using, and thereafter you’re using that virtue. But it doesn’t change your target, or the type and amount of damage you’d suffer from failing the check.

What type of check can I boost?
During the Assemble step, you may boost your (and only your) check using the virtue specified on the boosting card. You can’t boost a check if you’re not using the virtue, whether or not it would save your life.

When a virtue is followed by a parenthetical skill, what does that mean?
It means two things, and it should only mean one. The thing it should mean is when you attempt a check using that virtue, you may add your dice from only the listed skill if you have it; if multiple skills are listed, you may choose only one. The thing it should not mean is totaling the number on your virtue and next to your skill; in this set’s cards we’ll use a plus sign rather than parentheses. In The World, imagine Rock Solid’s #4 said “Mind + Study” and Unseen’s #4 and #5 said “Mind + Sense.”

Do I pay a cost before I trigger the cost’s power?
Always. For example, if you discard a card to heal some cards, you might heal the card you discarded. And you don’t get out of following a card’s instructions just because you can no longer see it. You’re smart. You can remember these things.

Are threat powers always mandatory?
Unless they say “you may,” they’re mandatory. The exception is when you’re given a chance to do something to cause something else to occur. So, the Base threat Spy says “Recycle 1 Mind or Hack gift to keep 4 dice.” You don’t have to recycle the gift to keep 4 dice if you don’t want, so there’s an implied “you may” there.

Can copies of minions let me go to Sanctify?
No. Copies cease to exist without letting you go to any other step.

Do Lycanthropy cards count against my hand size?
They do. When you draw cards, draw all the required cards, then deal with the Lycanthropy cards afterward.

What’s my minimum hand size?
It’s 1. In theory, a card like the Deathless threat Haugbui could decrease your hand size to 0. But that’s no fun at all, so we’re capping the floor at 1 card.

What do I change when I go from Act 1 to Act 2?
Nothing the mission doesn’t tell you to change.

When a card has a display power, what does that power affect?
A display power affects whatever it is displayed at. If it’s displayed by a saint’s deck, it affects that saint. If at a nexus, it affects saints or cards at that nexus. If whatever it’s displayed by is sacrificed, the displayed card is also sacrificed.

What are mutation dice?
The dice rolled to get a number from 1-6 on a mutation card.

Do I die if I ever get a ninth death?
Immediately, permanently, and, with luck, heroically.

In the example on page 21, why does Frank seal the nexus that Ophelia should just seal after she wins vs. Gryla?
He shouldn’t. The sentence “Now, with Frank at the same nexus as you and able to bury a card to seal Main Street, you remove it and all of its cards.” should just be “Now you seal the nexus automatically, removing it and all of its cards.”

Doesn’t Ophelia make a math error in that example?
She does. A 6, a 3, three 2s, and a 1 should really total to 11 on the three highest dice.

In the example on page 17, Zeez uses a Love Battery’s cost-lowering power in Support. Should that be possible?
It is… with the Love Battery in the Golems chapter in this box.

In a While Danger Remains mission, is my first investigation free? What if a threat goes into a nexus that isn’t mine?
Your first investigation is free and mandatory. If a threat you confronted would go into your nexus, it goes into the clock instead. But if it would go into another nexus, sacrifice it. Otherwise, a threat like Lost Soul would be unkillable!

Can the mission The Sugar Trap ever have a 5th Watchdog?
No, it can only have at most 4 Watchdogs.

If I have Resist 2, and The Venom lets me gain Resist 1, which of those is my skill?
Whichever you want. You probably want Resist 2.

A couple of other card notes would be nice.
That’s not a question, but sure. If we had The World to do over, we might say that:
• The Base nexus Farm should say “the Base true threat Hay Man” so you know what set the Hay Man is in.
• The Base gift Love Battery should specify that it lowers the cost of gifts “by 1.”
• The Base gift Streetsweeper should have the symbol ⊕ before “End.”
• The Base true threat Dust Bunny should say “this threat’s archetype” should get shuffled into your nexus, rather than shuffling in the true threat card itself.
• The Base fragment The Garden Party should just say “Draw your hand size.”
• The Candlepoint fragment The Swimming Hole should replace “that number of cards” with “the number of cards * discarded.”
• The Skinwalker fragment The Commandment should have the symbol * before “Flip 1 die.”
We might slightly adjust a few other cards if given the chance, but the changes are trivial, so we don’t feel like bothering you with them. You’re welcome.
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Fortuin
United States
Morristown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! Thanks for this Mike! I already see some of my questions answered!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
antoinef wrote:
Hooray! Thanks for this Mike! I already see some of my questions answered!

That's the goal. Obviously, this won't be the end of it. We're prepping The Flesh to go to the printer and needed to finalize a first wave. We will update further when that is appropriate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alderman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful! Thank you so much Mike!

After three play-throughs and a few videos, I'm finally getting my noggin to come to the table. Very excited and really enjoying this game! Super excited to keep playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some updates made above.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I never would have guessed that - if a character investigates multiple times - each Investigate Step is preceded by its own Support step. So it's:

Support #1
Investigate #1
Support #2
Investigate #2

Until an Apocrypha rep made this clarification in the forums, I understood there to be one (and only one) Support step, regardless of the number of Investigations. This might be worth including in the FAQ.

(If you'd rather not take FAQ suggestions in this thread, I can delete this comment and post elsewhere.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ced Ric
msg tools
Another little question not covered here : Can you use a gift or power, or anything actually, to add a die to a roll from a different virtue than the one you're currently using ? It seems a little counter-intuitive but it's done in one of the examples of the rulebook, so I'd like a confirmation here. It's clear that you can't boost for a virtue you're not using, but adding little dice here and there seems possible ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Makura0 wrote:
Another little question not covered here : Can you use a gift or power, or anything actually, to add a die to a roll from a different virtue than the one you're currently using ? It seems a little counter-intuitive but it's done in one of the examples of the rulebook, so I'd like a confirmation here. It's clear that you can't boost for a virtue you're not using, but adding little dice here and there seems possible ?


Look at the answer to the second question in the FAC above where it is stated "When you add a Rage die to a Soul check...". That seems to answer your question right there that it is OK.

Dave
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Quote:
The Base fragment The Garden Party should just say “Draw your hand size.


I'm more confused about this card now. Without a whose/when/cost I'm not sure when I'm allowed to activate the power.

Do you mean it should just say "Sacrifice: Draw your hand size", so I can do it an any time?

Do you mean the power effect should be changed so it's "<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: Draw your hand size" so I always draw and don't reset?

Do you mean it's "<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: <Current Player>: Draw your hand size", so they draw my hand size and don't reset?

Or is "your" a mistake, and you mean it's "<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: <Current Player>: Draw their hand size", so the only change is removing the reset?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aviva Schecterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:

"<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: <Current Player>: Draw their hand size", so the only change is removing the reset?


This is correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
AvivaYalla wrote:
piman wrote:

"<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: <Current Player>: Draw their hand size", so the only change is removing the reset?


This is correct.

Thanks. I'm assuming it's too late to errata the errata for The Flesh? If it was just the timing / cost missing I think most people would figure it out, but the erroneous "your" in Mike's answer is a lot more significant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aviva Schecterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
AvivaYalla wrote:
piman wrote:

"<Slotted Direction> Initiate - Sacrifice: <Current Player>: Draw their hand size", so the only change is removing the reset?


This is correct.

Thanks. I'm assuming it's too late to errata the errata for The Flesh? If it was just the timing / cost missing I think most people would figure it out, but the erroneous "your" in Mike's answer is a lot more significant.


It was already taken care of.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laspe
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the updates. I do have a clarifying question. For the Structure "While Danger Remains," does the "Win vs. A card from the clock" rule man that you essentially will be recycling your entire hand before you can stop investigating the clock? The escape from the cycle is to investigate the Nexus? The scenario we're looking at with this is West Side Story.

Thanks for any help

Edit: On Omens of Hope with the "stash" trigger, is the "you" singular or collective?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While Danger Remains: The general "Investigate" power on the While Danger Remains card states that you only HAVE to investigate the clock during your FIRST (free) investigation that turn. Subsequent investigations during the same turn can be performed on either the clock deck or the nexus deck. So when you "Win vs. the clock", you can simply choose to investigate the nexus deck instead.

Omens of Hope: The singular "you". Generally speaking, "you" refers only to the person who played the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elegia Spellweaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a gift for its power, (say Discard for a Mind Boost), do you also add another bonus die/dice if the gift you are playing has a skill keyword that you also have on your saint card? For example, if Gabriella (Strike 1) plays the Rage gift Sword Cane (Strike keyword) for its Discard: Boost Rage, does she receive one additional Rage die, and then a bonus die from the shared Strike keyword?

I think that is correct, but I wanted to make sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aviva Schecterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redchin42 wrote:
When you play a gift for its power, (say Discard for a Mind Boost), do you also add another bonus die/dice if the gift you are playing has a skill keyword that you also have on your saint card? For example, if Gabriella (Strike 1) plays the Rage gift Sword Cane (Strike keyword) for its Discard: Boost Rage, does she receive one additional Rage die, and then a bonus die from the shared Strike keyword?

I think that is correct, but I wanted to make sure.


Yep!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghotimonger wrote:
While Danger Remains: The general "Investigate" power on the While Danger Remains card states that you only HAVE to investigate the clock during your FIRST (free) investigation that turn. Subsequent investigations during the same turn can be performed on either the clock deck or the nexus deck. So when you "Win vs. the clock", you can simply choose to investigate the nexus deck instead.

Omens of Hope: The singular "you". Generally speaking, "you" refers only to the person who played the card.


If they are referring to a group, they can easily use something like "All players at your nexus", or "Your Choir" because that's what all of you would be called.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
munari wrote:
Edit: On Omens of Hope with the "stash" trigger, is the "you" singular or collective?


Sorry, my last comment was in response to this, actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.