Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that use poker chips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After coming across Too Many Bones, I really liked how they implemented the characters on poker chips rather than using cards. I have since come across Puzzle Strike, which I am now waiting on arrival. I also have a make shift version of Las Vegas with poker chips rather than the money cards.

My question is, are there any other games that utilize poker chips rather than the standard cards. I am not a fan of the paper cards, especially when a lot of shuffling is required. Even with sleeving, cards still get bent during shuffles. With Tokens, they can be just grabbed from a bag at random.

Preferably fantasy style games that are 1 or 2 player compatible. More players are fine as well, but the game should include at least 2 players and when partner is not available, a solo option is really great.

Any games out there that may be cards, but the cards could be transferred easily to poker chips? (Meaning not a book of writing on them, with 20 symbols all over the border etc, etc. Flavor text not included).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:
Preferably fantasy style games that are 1 or 2 player compatible. More players are fine as well, but the game should include at least 2 players and when partner is not available, a solo option is really great.

Any games out there that may be cards, but the cards could be transferred easily to poker chips? (Meaning not a book of writing on them, with 20 symbols all over the border etc, etc. Flavor text not included).
Chip Dominion

Also, apparently Love Letter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities and all of the other content for it was the precursor to TMB, and uses similar chips. Plays 1-2 players (sometimes 3?) and is about gladiator combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack uses tiles. It was a bad idea, or at least making the tiles out of material that scuffs. Since the only reason for 'innocent' tiles is to hide the information from the other player about what is on the other side of the tile -- it is particularly egregious there.

They could be chips, but you would still need to have a hidden side.

The other tiles that get shuffled often -- every second round (again, bad idea, the things scuff) would be better choices for chips in a sack. But since you only are shuffling to randomise the 8, which immediately are picked as '4 now, the other 4 next round' there is no hidden information aspect, so less of a need to make changes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This might interest you. Dominion converted to chips. If I recall correctly, there was some controversy over whether or not Puzzle Strike's inspiration came from this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39328/step-step-guide-how...


Oops. My bad. I missed where someone linked it in a post above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:
This might interest you. Dominion converted to chips. If I recall correctly, there was some controversy over whether or not Puzzle Strike's inspiration came from this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39328/step-step-guide-how...


Oops. My bad. I missed where someone linked it in a post above.


No controversy. It is a blatant rip off.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mafia de Cuba uses chips to represent characters. Not sure if that is in the same vein as what you are asking about though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Elankat wrote:
This might interest you. Dominion converted to chips. If I recall correctly, there was some controversy over whether or not Puzzle Strike's inspiration came from this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/39328/step-step-guide-how...


Oops. My bad. I missed where someone linked it in a post above.


No controversy. It is a blatant rip off.


lol. I was trying to politely tiptoe around it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions so far. Really like the customization done on Dominion, will look into that more. I looked at Hoplomachus back when I got too many bones. I knwo the quality of that game will be great, still deciding if I will enjoy it though.

Mr Jack looks interesting as well, if not just for a filler game when we dont have a lot of time. Mafia de Cuba though doesnt look like a theme We would find much excitement on.

Thank you all again for the suggestions so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Uh, there's Poker
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Mueller
msg tools
Avatar
Splendor hast poker chips, but also cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.