Subject: A 2-player Coop variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Medders
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
I've been thinking about this for a bit and wondering if anyone has any ideas. There are a couple things I don't like about playing caverna with 2 players. Lack of player interaction, its really just blocking each other so what interaction you have is negative. And the ending is just blah, you finish the last round that then count up a score, it seems arbitrary, why that round, why not one more later, or one sooner.

I'm thinking of making a larger player board that would combine two caves and one big field. Both players build up the same board, freely share resources, feed dwarves together, etc... Then make up a new card to replace the lvl 4 expedition one. But it needs a new mechanic for an end game. I was thinking about making a forgotten beast deck, kind of like dwarf fortress, and then at the end of the game you draw cards from that deck and score against the beast that is attacking your settlement, and you win or loose depending on how you built things, the forgotten beast card would give different scoring rules based on what kind of beast it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have misunderstood but you sound like you want people to not know what will score points until it's too late to do anything about it?

I'm definitely interested in a coop variant though and will have a think to see if I can come up with some objectives of some sort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Medders
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
I was thinking more along the lines of everything would be worth points as before, but the value of some things may get tweaked based on the card drawn, just to give it some variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, I think I'd be more excited if it was some sort of co-op survival/village builder type thing. Even if that's not really what you intended you've inspired me to have a think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Bad to reveal point modifications at end. Reveal them throughout the game. Maybe let players choose.

For example. Make threats a deck of 52 cards. Deal 13 threats into the threat deck for that game. Reveal a threat every round. Threats modify scoring at end. Threats can be defeated during expeditions or by hiring mercenaries with gold on a new action location (important to have multiple paths to defeat them, but could be something else like rubies). Cost (weapon, good, or rubies) would vary based on the threat. Ex mushroom people easy to beat need lvl 3 weapon. Dragon hard, needs level 14,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:
Ah ok, I think I'd be more excited if it was some sort of co-op survival/village builder type thing. Even if that's not really what you intended you've inspired me to have a think!

Yes! This idea is interesting. If I didn't have so many other projects ongoing, I'd try making a similar expansion/derivative myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Medders
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
My wife like the coop board idea, and her suggestion was to make it like you are having to prepare for a long winter by stockpiling food and supplies. So I was thinking about extending the game with a set of cards that would come into play at the normal end of game and they would begin covering up the action spaces, and then you have to play out a few more rounds feeding all your dwarves etc...

And then there are some tiles that score you points based on something like how much ore you have. Would like to have a way that those were still relevant without making new tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Maiwald
msg tools
mbmb
I just posted an idea for a coop/2v2 variant on this forum, partially inspired by this thread.
Coop game/2v2/2v2v2
Maybe you are interested and want to give it a look.

I thought about a way to play in teams of 2, partially combining the boards and giving an ability to trade, so there is some more player interaction.

I also like the idea of coming up with another way to score, I dislike how the regular scoring completely takes me out of the game. It doesn't feel like a part of the experience.
But this seems rather difficult, because there are so many factors to be included in the scoring.
Also it would have to be something that you can rely on during the game.
I think there should be a very limited amout of randomness in caverna, because I feel it's predictability is a core aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.