Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok watching all the Gen Con videos and hearing people talk about KDM has me wondering is there a place I can read some lore a rather then the instruction manuals?

I am really into how deep this world is, and want to know more and more and more.... But I don't know where I can start to go to learn about it. Is there a website or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vibrantlantern.com has some, but most of the lore is just tidbits you find piecemeal from all over the place throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about playing the game over and over. This is probably the best experience overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I go a read up on the lore on Vibrant Lantern I'm guessing that will amount to spoiling alot of the stuff I will discover when I play the game right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
If I go a read up on the lore on Vibrant Lantern I'm guessing that will amount to spoiling alot of the stuff I will discover when I play the game right?

It's a distinct possibility. Personally, once I convinced myself I wanted this game, I didn't learn anything else about the lore until I played through. I went in as blind as possible for my first campaign, and even now if I'm playing with something new, I try to go in blind. For me, it made the discoveries that much more fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andlord wrote:
How about playing the game over and over. This is probably the best experience overall.

I am talking about things not in the game. Like the game hunter models, the king/scribe, the wetnurse, and a bunch like that. What do all of them have to do with this world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Tidbits for them are still in the game, or they are buried in some design notes in the first ks updates, or they are written as short flavor text in the shop mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
thebaker1983 wrote:

It's a distinct possibility. Personally, once I convinced myself I wanted this game, I didn't learn anything else about the lore until I played through. I went in as blind as possible for my first campaign, and even now if I'm playing with something new, I try to go in blind. For me, it made the discoveries that much more fantastic.

I did that same. I can't recommend the no spoiler route enough. It really enhanced the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you watched the TechRaptor video, Adam clearly stated that there would not be a canonical Kingdom Death lore book made available. The details are being held internally by and for his development only, and the trickled out via gameplay elements.

If you want to know more, you'll have to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
andlord wrote:

I am talking about things not in the game. Like the game hunter models, the king/scribe, the wetnurse, and a bunch like that. What do all of them have to do with this world?

I would be careful with stuff like this. Maybe one day the King will actually make it to the game and you already spoiled yourself most of it, where is the fun in that?

Also I would not expect that Poots will ever publish anything that makes you see the bigger picture. You'll have to figure it out on yourself. It is refered by some people as the BG Version of Dark Souls for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andlord wrote:
You'll have to figure it out on yourself. It is refered by some people as the BG Version of Dark Souls for a reason.

Except, there's an actual BG version of Dark Souls...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulst...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Koriakin
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Except it is a bad version of Dark Souls. I wouldn't even call it a "version" - more like "a game quite loosely inspired by Dark Souls".

Aspects of KD:M like hidden and implied lore, dark and surreal world, high difficulty where luck can be (to a degree) mitigated by skill, the ability to make different character builds - all of these make it much closer to the Dark Souls videogame than its official "version".

Dark Souls (the videogame) isn't simply hard - a bunch of games are hard. Dark Souls is also mysterious, and weird, and depressing, and beautiful in its own bleak way. It has a world that players genuinely WANT to explore. I believe KD:M is very similar in this regard. And Dark Souls: the Board Game is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Gaards√łe
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If only the board game version was hard...

The one thing the board game and the video game has in common besides the look of the bosses is the grinding shake. Farming the exact same stuff that acts in the exact same way over and over again is beneficial in both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Koriakin
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Beneficial, but, in the videogame, not required. And in board games, it simply does not work that well - it is a very different format. For grinding to be fun, especially in a Souls-like fashion, it must include skill elements (it's not only your character that gets better - it's you, the player, who also "levels up". The system in Gloomhaven seems like it could work), interesting decisions and substantial rewards. Which, from what I've heard, DS: TBG does not have. Also, with a board game, you most likely can't just put the game down and come back to it when you feel like it. You will probably expect to finish the game, hopefully have fun for most of its duration, maybe talk about it with your friends some more afterwards and go on with your life. Rolling dice for hours on end without getting anywhere, then packing the game to start it all over again one day, does not sound like fun.

KD:M also has grinding with dice, but it does have interesting decisions, and, being a camplaing-style game, it is easier to "save" the game. You decide to grind the Lion this weekend - sure, beat the lion, record changes, pack it up till the next time. DS: TBG is supposed to be played in one go, and in this format, grinding just doesn't work.

Basically, the designers of the DS: TBG decided to put exactly the wrong and the most insubstantial aspect of the source material in their game=/ While KD:M has a lot of other, more important things going for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that the emergent storytelling in a board game like KDM is done REAL GOOD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.