4 Posts

Age of Napoleon» Forums » Variants

Subject: Only 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benji Davis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Does anyone have experience playing this with 3 or more players or is strictly 2 player? Couldn't the coalition nations be split up between 2 or more players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, it was designed to be a 2-player game both because it wasn't easy for me to get several players around the table and because it felt more true to the historical situation. The result is a game that is less likely to go off the rails on reasonable alternative history as, for example, the Napoleonic Wars.

That said, I think that it is possible to assign the major countries like Russia, Austria and even Prussia (but perhaps not Spain) beside France an Britain to different players and have each be responsible for the mobilization, deployment, movement and combat of their own corps counters and draw their own cards, in all cases using the numbers provided for these countries that assume that they are part of the Coalition even if and when they are actually allied with France. Diplomatic cards would only become usable to turn non-player countries and only by the player countries associated with the cards (Pitt and English Gold > Britain for instance). Alliances between major player countries would have to be made the old fashioned way by direct (and public?) agreement between the players during the diplomacy phase. Naval movement would be restricted to Britain and her allies. You'd have to come up with victory conditions, perhaps by assigning different victory points to the different regions/countries that might differ from one player country to another (for instance, Spain would be worth more to France than to Prussia or Russia).

That's all I can think off the cuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Blaze_1942 wrote:
Does anyone have experience playing this with 3 or more players or is strictly 2 player? Couldn't the coalition nations be split up between 2 or more players?

Honestly, you might as well just play The Napoleonic Wars. It allows for playable Russia, Austria, and Prussia. It's a little bit more complex than Age of Napoleon, but not by much. After a couple of turns you get the hang of things pretty quick. If you've ever played Paths of Glory, you're pretty much half way there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Lusignoli
Italy
flag msg tools
Well, I love The Napoleonic Wars game, but I think the two games are very different (apart from being on the same historic period, with the same strategic level - but in TNW the corps have a smaller scale).
Beware to play TNW multi-player, if all the players are not sufficiently expert to understand the impact of switching alliances! (or of entering war with Prussia on one side or the other)
I think it is better in 2 or 3 players, unless you are so lucky to have 5 experienced and "wise" players at the table.

Age of Napoleon is a simpler game, more easy to play, and has a distinct advantage about victory rules (the worst aspect of TNW is its unpredictable ending and victory conditions).
AoN is also better for those who don't like throwing many dice to solve battles, with possible extreme and unpredictable results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.