Subject: Did we play this correct? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacker and defender choose a card in battle. Attacker goes first and kills the cultist. The defender now plays his card and would be allowed to do something (I forgot) if he has a cultist in this battle.
We played it that he has no cultist since it is dead already but is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
Attacker and defender choose a card in battle. Attacker goes first and kills the cultist. The defender now plays his card and would be allowed to do something (I forgot) if he has a cultist in this battle.
We played it that he has no cultist since it is dead already but is this correct?

No. Reveal and apply cards (Attacker first), including their conditional effects, but not assessing damage. Only afterward do you assess damage, and the Attacker takes damage first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Carthoris wrote:

No. Reveal and apply cards (Attacker first), including their conditional effects, but not assessing damage. Only afterward do you assess damage, and the Attacker takes damage first.

Please note, the attacker does damage first so the defender will actually take damage first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
First cards effects (attacker, then defender), then damage (both at the same time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn to Play, p. 12:
Quote:
Assess Damage: Starting with the attacker, both
players must suffer damage equal to his opponent’s
total number of offence icons (bolters) from dice, combat
tokens, and faceup combat cards. Each defence
icon (shield) that a player has (from dice, combat tokens
and his faceup combat cards) reduces the amount of
damage suffered by one.

(Emphasis added.) So, as I noted above, the attacker suffers damage first. It's easy enough to misread this at a rush as saying the the attacker inflicts damage first, but that's not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
Yeah, checked this one event before writing my previous post. But as cards effects are before damage, it simply doesn't matter who takes it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kelly
msg tools
It can matter who assigns damage first, because assigning damage sometimes involves player choices and therefore conveys information. It can be advantageous to know what decision your opponent is making before you make yours.

For example, the Ambush card (Space Marines: G, (2G), Scout -> Enemy units that become routed are destroyed unless opponent spends 1M) is more effective vs higher level command units than lower level ones. If I have an ambush card and both my opponent and I have to choose between destroying a L0 unit or routing a L1 unit, I'd rather know what my opponent does first. My opponent's decision can affect my decision.

If they rout their L1 unit my ambush card isn't so effective so I'm more inclined to destroy my L0. If they destroy their L0 unit and keep their L1 unrouted, it might make me more inclined to keep my L0 unit so I can use the ambush special power against their unrouted L1 unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
Ok You're right it might matter. Sorry for the confusion. I love this game (my favourite one) and hope somehow GW finds a way to not let it die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.