6 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » General

Subject: Vale Card: Earth Cradle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gal Gregor
Austria
flag msg tools
Vale Card: Earth Cradle seems to be unbalanced, and not fun. In our last 4 games (always 2 players) it made the difference.

First, it is easy to buy compared to other cards giving 5+ VP, because of the random spirit symbols.
Second, it can also give you (much) more than 5 VP, which would be the average award for a 5 cost vale card.
Third it depletes the VP-pool, so that the game most of the time ends after it was bought, so that the other player has almost no chance to catch up.

Maybe we just play without it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah here goes the old record again: What does the card say/do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you not possessing Mystic Vale: Vale of Magic
Vale of Magic rules wrote:
This is a “When Bought”
effect, meaning it triggers the
moment the card is bought
and then can be ignored for
the rest of the game. Gain 1
victory point for each vale you own.
That includes Earth Cradle
and any other vale you may
have bought this turn.

The cost is Forest + Sky + Animal + 2 Wild Spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem broken. Getting numerous Vale cards isn't that easy. If you have several already then I don't see it beeing more broken than Aurora that depletes the VP pool in a single turn usually. Or one card I had that had Woodland Harvester x2 + Stage x1. Or other insanely powerful cards. I mean, these are strategies you've geared toward from the start and that can net 12+ VP/turn. Your Vale card seems rather weak in comparison

At worst you can also hatedraft it if your opponent is building their strategy around it.
And if you can't then you should think back on what you did wrong.

I did find our latest games to be rather balanced despite late game VP spikes. The girlfriend's getting harder to beat too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gal Gregor
Austria
flag msg tools
I should mention, that we play our houserule-set, the dominion play style, and with time I will update it in the variants section to the latest version.

Btw. we play earth cradle correct, and we received the VP "when bought".
In our games aurora is quite balanced, although we changed it to give 1VP/card in field, since you have much less cards in your field.

However, I think you cannot compare vale cards with advancement cards combos very well. In comparison to other vale cards, earth cradle is simply to cheap or to easy to get, because of the variable spirit symbols, like I wrote above.
--
VP-Spikes
You're correct with the late game VP spikes, we have that too. And it makes the feel that the game is somehow aborting rather abrubtly.

Better would be another game end mechanism, but I can't make up another one, other than a fixed round number..

in RFTG, you had also the 12 played card rule, together with the depletion of all VPs, which gave much more strategies to follow..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's easier to get, but if you get it early it doesn't bring many VP. If you don't though, your opponent might get it before you. It's all a matter of hate-drafting and waiting for the right moment, which advancements are not, as they're always good when they're in your deck, and they become a matter of first come first served. Not that it's bad, mind you.

Played with the RAW, I don't see a problem with this Vale card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.