Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'll be starting another campaign after v2 arrives but one of the new players (a board game newbie) has an 11 year old boy that she would like to have join us.

I've never played a game of this weight with a kid that young and wanted to know if anyone has any advice/opinions on it. The game is for ages 12+ but if he's a bright kid (I have no idea since we have never met) he may do ok.

Anyone playing Gloomhaven with younger kids? What was it like?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Skierczynski
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing with my 9 year old son. He doesn't know english that well so I can censor some stories a bit.

He is so good that he can remind me about rules and modifiers that I keep forgetting about; and we play 2 characters each.

I think in the end it all boils down to if kid can keep his attention span long enough. So definitely possible - give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a suggestion ... invite them over to play something that is self-contained and maybe just a little lighter. Meet the kid.

I played with a young person recently and had my fair share of doubts about it, but now I'd happily play with him again: all fears of wandering off, losing interest, not following the game, etc. etc. were allayed by one game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Depends on the kid. Playing something else without a campaign is a good idea.

I played Patchwork with a 3 year old and he already won one game and I wasn't playing nicely. I was a bit unlucky with the tiles but hey, he is 3 years.

On the other hand I know the 10 year old boy of a friend and it is impossible to play the simpliest games with him. Attention span max 5 minutes and interest equals zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lawrence
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kesipyc wrote:
I'm playing with my 9 year old son. He doesn't know english that well so I can censor some stories a bit.

Just out of curiosity, what needs to be censored? I'm planning on playing this with my kids and wasn't aware there might be story lines that would require censoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chademe wrote:
kesipyc wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what needs to be censored? I'm planning on playing this with my kids and wasn't aware there might be story lines that would require censoring.

Some descriptions of violence might be a bit much for the younger people. I'd rate it about Teen level, though honestly most youngsters willing to play a dungeon crawl board game with parental permission/presence are more likely to be able to deal with it.

(Heck, I'm an adult and some violence creeps me right out. Nothing in GH does, but in other media...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Skierczynski
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a must. I recall a few situations when I though it could be a bit too violent (a bit graphic) or maybe a hint of sex here and there. I don't remember anything concrete to give you example to be honest.

Also I may have been a little bit lazy whistle to not explain some implications of a story as it's not always direct and straightforward (good thing from artistic point of view)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Brown
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex,

I've been playing since March with my wife and 9-year-old son. It's been a 100% success - my only game which is a '10'...and his too! He has very few problems playing it - indeed he more often gets irritated with the questions & mistakes from my wife 😂. The attention span can be an issue - we do often play scenarios over 2 days. But fundamentally it'll depend on the child - my son plays (with us & on Boite-a-Jeux) Castles of Burgundy, Dungeon Lords & 7 Wonders. But he'd never think of suggesting to his friends that they play them together!

On the 'censorship' issue, there's been very little that's been an issue. One references to decapitation which I leftout. But most road & city events he reads out loud to us! One change I did make was to the ending when his first character retired - you'll probably know which one that was 😉 (Cthulu class unlocked)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.