Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb

Hia Everyone!

I had the chance to play during Gen Con 2017 and I wrote a bunch about my time playing in my blog post. I thought I might share it with the forum pages though.

8/19/2017:
Saturday night's feature was quite the game, or I should say, games, of Warehouse 13: The Board Game. New to me!

Dustin on BGG had played before and said a lot of positive things about it. Of course I had my doubts about it being a hidden traitor game, but it was themed with Warehouse 13! I just had to see what it was about!

If you don't know the show it is super cool and you should look it up. Agents have to go and find the artifacts that are cursed or do something they shouldn't. They house these artifacts in the warehouse. You have to go on missions in the game to stop the bad guy from gaining the artifacts before you!

The game can be played 3-5 players with or without the hidden traitor. I would like to try without, but I do think there is something interesting about the traitor because if you are just too obvious then you might get caught. It must be very difficult to be the traitor so, we will see with time. I am a terrible liar so I am sure I would be just the worst traitor ever, I do look forward to trying though. :P

In the game you get to play as one of the main characters from the show and you set special cards that go with that character. Basically asymmetric powers each catering to the characters traits from the show. Claudia is tech savvy, Pete has good intuition, and Mika is logical etc, all of that plays into the game. There is a great sense of theme in this game and that is a lot coming from me, since I am generally not that into theme. The theme was so recognized by the players at the table that I managed to get Derek and Jess interested in watching the show, since they had never even seen it before! They were so enveloped in the game play that they wanted to leave GenCon and find the show to watch it.

In the game you are working with other players to collect the items before they are handed over to the bad guy. The traitor is trying to help the bad guy out, but very subtly. If we ever suspect the traitor we can take out main action to send them to the bronzer machine. (if you have seen the show you get me). :P In order to win we need to collect 3 items or the bad guy will win if he ever collects 3 items or the warehouse blows up.

Each round you will get an action, then you get to work the case, and finally you get to draw a card in an area that you specialize. There are 4 decks of cards and each with 2 calamity cards that will cause some sort of wreckage to the warehouse. It is almost push your luck when you draw cards. We saw first hand that the damaged to the warehouse is not an issue until it is an issue. Each episode of the game you have to roll all of the clue dice that will hopefully be claimed by the agents and not neutralized. Once all of the dice are eventually claimed one way or another the item is revealed and we then have to use the dice in order to capture it or it will then be lost if we are unable to do so. It might be several rounds of collecting the clues before this happens.

There are goo dice that will start claiming the dice people are rolling during the retrieval phase so your best die might be neutralized and then you can't apply the symbol for the artifact any longer. It can be quite painful to see your best die go away. Of course if the artifact is lost to eh bad guy then you will be getting a lot of terrible things happening though out the remainder of the game. They will come with another card that might say players have to roll the warehouse die in order to perform their special action and get 1 or higher. Basically a horror check you might find in Mansions of madness. Had we won the artifact then this rule wouldn't have applied.

Clearly winning the artifact is the better way to go. You need to be able to claim the dice in the work the case phase. You need cards in order to do this. The cards all have a symbol and a number and they will help claim the dice with matching symbols and numbers. All of the dice are different but the blue die will be more heavily weighted towards the blue symbol, but it will still have the tech symbol on it and other symbols as well that might be rolled. As Claudia I wanted to gain the green dice since I would have special abilities that would invoice green (tech) dice. SHE IS THE BEST AFTERALL.

So in our multiple games we played it was quite humorous, really. The first game ended before the first TURN was over. We got an event card that added 2 damage to the warehouse. Not thinking anything of it we moved on and continues each to draw cards and try to investigate clues etc. When people drew cards as an action we ended up adding 1 more damage. Then at the end of the round when you draw cards we found 2 more damage. Not recalling all of the powers, Leena forgot about her ability to take a damage away and we ended up losing because we found 2 more calamity cards that damaged the warehouse. It was just a like of bad luck!

Derek was happy though since he was the traitor that game and I suppose that means he ended up winning! We all knew it was him, perhaps he is just a terribly liar and we can see through it.

Since that ended in like 20 minutes we went ahead and played the game again with a better understanding about how the turns work. Mid game Ron had to take off and go be in the Russian Railroads finals, but Michael was able to fill in for him and we continued play with ease.

Jess was being awfully quite and when I saw a stack of cards she had I knew she was the traitor. I could have put her in the bronzer but I decided it was not the time and we could win before it came to that.

The first 2 episodes were almost like a breeze, we managed to acquire the artifacts and managed it almost with no problem. I felt I never got to roll for the resolution phase since my dice kept being taken away for various reasons. We ended up losing one of the artifacts, but the 4th round we hand it under control even with all of the bad events happening to us and holding us back. We managed it as a team and worked out way past the traitor. I think Jess was having a difficult time playing the traitor, but I know I would be too. You can't be too obvious! But, then she lost and we all won. I thought for sure Ron would be the traitor! Nope!

All in all I had a great time with the game. Jess and Derek loved it so much they wanted to go watch the show. As they should... It is an amazing show! I think that this game does the show justice and I am very excited for the kickstarter to come.

:star::nostar::star::nostar::star::nostar::star:

From my blog post
GENCON 2017 FULL RECAP PART 2: All My Plays and Purchases! ***WITH PHOTOGRAPHY!***

-Steph

If you like what you saw, please thumb!

All images in this post are copyright, owned, and controlled by Steph Hodge Photography, Unless otherwise noted.
Please contact me if you would like to purchase or use my images in anyway.
Thank you.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
How do you feel about the 1-2 hour play time suggested on the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:

Game box says 130 minutes (13 x 10). We usually schedule 3-hour blocks for playthroughs at conventions and manage to finish in time even with rules explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:

I think legit. Last game I played was about 2.5 but we were teaching and it all came down to a final call, so best 3/5 situation and it was the very end of the 5th episode to make the winners win. Accurate box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.