Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Board Selection: When do players have to commit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Blum
United States
California
flag msg tools
Does each player commit to a random board before setup?

OR

Do you get all the boards first, and then allow the players to decide who goes where?

The strategic advantage provided in the latter case can be significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always just done it randomly, except when playing on the thematic sides, where I bias towards having each spirit in its canonical home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's totally up to the players. Kind of like how spirits can be chosen deliberately or randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
According to strict rules ordering, you're allowed to choose. (Though that's more to do with clarity-of-explanation than design.)

Thematically, no-choice is more accurate; the Spirits shouldn't be able to set up for best advantage vs. a threat they didn't know was coming.

Personally, I tend to go with "mostly but not entirely random" - by default, set up on whichever board ends up closest to you, but swap it up if you really dislike your starting position. (If you're wedged off in a corner with a Spirit that doesn't jump longer distances well in early-game, or something.)

But honestly, whatever your playgroup wants to do is fine. Initial positioning isn't *irrelevant*, but it's not nearly as significant as the main factors which make the game harder (eg, Adversary level or chosen Scenario) or easier (eg, player skill).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Blum
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks. I like the "mostly but not entirely random" approach. Good to know that it's not against the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of sometimes saying "I'm not really comfortable with this spirit starting cooped up in the corner, can we swap?" and other times thinking "This spirit makes complete sense stuck in the corner and it'll make the game marginally harder but it just works."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.