1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Will every next edition of KD double the price? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ned Poreyra
Poland
flag msg tools
Core box at first Kickstarter was 100$, KD 1.5 was 200$. How likely is it that price for 2.0 edition will also increase so much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First KS was hugely underpriced. Second one for $250 ($200 was only for early birds) was fair for both Poots and us backers. I don't think there will be another KS for KDM but, if there is, it won't be much more than $250.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero chance of doubling.

With the HUGE increase and scale, amortized development and tooling costs, future core games will hold price going forward.

This is exactly what we're seeing in the MSRP:
* $400 MSRP for 1.0/1.3 core (post-KS)
* $400 MSRP for 1.5 core ($300 GenCon preorder)

While there might be inflation, the cost advantage of having the hard tooling already paid for vastly outweighs it. That's why he was able to offer $300 GenCon preorders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first KS was priced as PVC, it switched to HIPS and got much larger. I expect yeah, KD will remain pretty stable around $400 with discounts of some sort if it goes to KS again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a new edition will come out every five years and double in price. In what year will the cost of a new copy of Kingdom Death exceed the GNP of the United States?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above, the price has stayed the same with increased content, it's just the discount that got reduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I expect the KDM 1.5 price to stabilise for future Cores. He's had the experience now to properly price his game.

Don't let some scalper/reseller fool you into paying more than retail or even 75% of retail (Black Friday sales) for Core KDM. They'll be released soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Yes, a new edition will come out every five years and double in price. In what year will the cost of a new copy of Kingdom Death exceed the GNP of the United States?

(Working from GDP rather than GNP and assuming 3.18% < average growth < 3.41%.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The original pitch for the core game in the first KS was also less than half the size that the game actually ended up being. The old KS page still has pictures of a square KDM box much smaller than what eventuated. It and all of the expansions originally were incorrectly priced. In the new KS there is even more content in the core game yet the RRP is still at $400.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to be an ass, but this is a perfect example of an uninformed individual not even trying to do any research, nor information gathering of their own, and appears to simply be an attempt to kick a bees hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Schaeffer
United States
Toluca Lake
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ned_poreyra wrote:
Core box at first Kickstarter was 100$, KD 1.5 was 200$. How likely is it that price for 2.0 edition will also increase so much?

Poots also lost money on the initial Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually paid $400 + shipping for the retail version of 1.3, so a $200 EB looked like a steal to me. If only I had knew that there was to be a 2nd KS...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$100 -> $400 retail
$200 -> $400 retail (more content)

You are complaining about a discounted price. Why not complain to MM or Coolstuffinc for not being cheaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ned_poreyra wrote:

MSRP for 1.3 was 400$
MSRP for 1.5 is 400$

I don't see the price doubling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Hate to be an ass, but this is a perfect example of an uninformed individual not even trying to do any research, nor information gathering of their own, and appears to simply be an attempt to kick a bees hive.

Welcome to the KDM forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
ropya wrote:

Welcome to the KDM forums.

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
depends on what is added for the next version of the game. 1.5 added a lot of new stuff to KDM and i would assume the base price for 1.5 may go up after KS is received to reflect the increase in content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at the moment, though. Adam told that core game msrp was still $400. Perfectly believable from what we know until now.

Not to exclude that the final price might still raise, but at the moment we have that value announced.

Can't remember the source, though (either ks updates or ks comments), so take this as innocuous chatter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Crews
United States
California
flag msg tools
Legends of South County
badge
Lost Cartographer
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

(Working from GDP rather than GNP and assuming 3.18% < average growth < 3.41%.)

So basically right around when the 4th Wave is being shipped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Poreyra
Poland
flag msg tools
gorkel wrote:
1.5 added a lot of new stuff to KDM

I just checked what was added in 1.5 upgrade pack and honestly not much:
- hardcover rulebook (don't care)
- a few new/updated cards (don't care)
- new storage tray (pretty much don't care)
- a few updated weapons/minis?
- 1 new boss (the only thing I would really care)
Totally not worth 150$ in my opinion.

Also, I assume that high(est) quality components are the main thing affecting the price and also the fact that all minis are unique sculpts. I would gladly remove a lot from the game and take it for 150$ (honestly I would take bosses, 4 survivors and throw away all the other plastic stuff), but I know that the designer's vision was different, he wanted to make a huge, luxurious game, and I respect that. Not for me apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
ned_poreyra wrote:
gorkel wrote:
1.5 added a lot of new stuff to KDM

I just checked what was added in 1.5 upgrade pack and honestly not much:
- hardcover rulebook (don't care)
- a few new/updated cards (don't care)
- new storage tray (pretty much don't care)
- a few updated weapons/minis?
- 1 new boss (the only thing I would really care)
Totally not worth 150$ in my opinion.

Also, I assume that high(est) quality components are the main thing affecting the price and also the fact that all minis are unique sculpts. I would gladly remove a lot from the game and take it for 150$ (honestly I would take bosses, 4 survivors and throw away all the other plastic stuff), but I know that the designer's vision was different, he wanted to make a huge, luxurious game, and I respect that. Not for me apparently.

$150 is not a real number. It has very little to do with core game components between 1.3 and 1.5.

If you genuinely have some question about or interest in this game, you're doing a poor job of demonstrating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
depends on what is added for the next version of the game. 1.5 added a lot of new stuff to KDM and i would assume the base price for 1.5 may go up after KS is received to reflect the increase in content.

1.5 adds 1 sprue of models and some cards, and upgrades the rulebook, organizer; however, it no longer needs to pay for the design and development cost of many, many items. Furthermore, the bulk of the production is reusing the existing miniatures tooling and presswork. There is no need to increase the MSRP for a game with much smaller upfront costs.

This is why Adam was able to offer GenCon preorders at the discounted $300 price, rather than needing to charge full MSRP (though he easily could have!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ned_poreyra wrote:
I would gladly remove a lot from the game and take it for 150$ (honestly I would take bosses, 4 survivors and throw away all the other plastic stuff), but I know that the designer's vision was different, he wanted to make a huge, luxurious game, and I respect that. Not for me apparently.

If it's not for you, why are you posting here?

Given the massive success he saw in the 1.5 KS, Adam isn't going to make some cut-down version of his flagship product for someone who doesn't share his vision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Poreyra
Poland
flag msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
If it's not for you, why are you posting here?

Because I needed information about the price to make that decision. It would be totally for me if 200$, but totally not for me for even 300$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.